Powerbanks for pedalboards

pauliusmm

Fractal Fanatic
Anyone using a mobile (phone) powerbank to power pedals in their pedalboard?
Powerbanks got pretty high capacity now (around 20 000 mAh on ebay) and there are these little converter cables that has USB on one end and 9VDC barrel plug on other end.
I just got one and it works with low current pedals, it didn't work with Whammy V for some reason using power bank, but it did work when using a phone charger Ac plug. So i am thinking it was the issue with my powerbank (10 000 mAh mobile phone powerbank).

Are there any downsides to using these instead of normal multi power suplies?
If i understand correctly there should be no noise issues when using battery and you could probably daisy chain pedals. Am i right?

Anyone using a mobile (phone) powerbank to power pedals in their pedalboard?
Powerbanks got pretty high capacity now (around 20 000 mAh on ebay) and there are these little converter cables that has USB on one end and 9VDC barrel plug on other end.
I just got one and it works with low current pedals, it didn't work with Whammy V for some reason using power bank, but it did work when using a phone charger Ac plug. So i am thinking it was the issue with my powerbank (10 000 mAh mobile phone powerbank).

Are there any downsides to using these instead of normal multi power suplies?
If i understand correctly there should be no noise issues when using battery and you could probably daisy chain pedals. Am i right?

The converter cable could generate noise.

I've been using one of THESE to power an old DMC Ground Control (Original, not Pro) during gigs. It works great! It lasts three or four gigs before I have to recharge it... maybe more, but I haven't tried. I haven't tried it with audio.

Why is that the powerbanks that are made for pedals specifically are much larger and have much less capacity (around 5000mAh) than cell phone powerbanks that are usually smaller and can have up to 20 000 mAh and also much cheaper?
In other words does pedal power banks produce cleaner, less noisy power than cell phone powerbank+converter cable?

Does the current capacity change if you convert to 9V?
If the powerbank has 10 000 at 5V, does it have less current capacity at 9V?

Attachments

• IMG_8300.JPG
    IMG_8300.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The capacity stays the same. However, a converter will consume extra power and a higher voltage might result in a higher current as well.

Methinks pedal board powered by a power bank + wireless transmitter on your pedal board to a wireless receiver on your amp = any place in a venue can now be your stage! Wanna pick your gear up between songs and set up shop among the audience for a flashy guitar solo? Play a cool power ballad next to an attractive young lady in the back next to the bar? Go even outside of the venue and play in the street? Mind you, an in-ear would be mandatory, but the possibilities for making an interactive show are endless.

Back
Top Bottom