Poweramp thoughts and Orange 2x12 v30

Hey , I just joined the Fractal family with the adquisition of the FM3, I’m really loving this device so far it’s amazing.

I’m playing really often live with a louder prog band, and my background has been always related with tube and analog gear. I think that an FRFR solution it’s not going to suit my needs as a back line.

I have in mind to buy an Orange 2x12 V30, but I have doubts about wich kind of poweramp I should choose. Notice that the specs of this cabinet are
  • Power handling: 120 W (2x 60 W)
  • Impedance: 16 ohms
I’ve heard about the matrix but it’s out of stock in Europe Germany where I live, what would be your recommendations , maybe something easy to buy in thomann or similars?

Thanks in advance :)

I have several amps I use and they all have differences:

Fryette PS2 - 50 watts but plenty loud. Mono only. Takes up two rack spaces. Sounds amazing with the Axe FX. Very lightweight. Well priced on the used market. Also doubles as as amp head attenuator and can add a post amp effects loop for an amp without an effects loop. if I was buying again I would pay a bit more for the Fryette PS100 which offerers more power and I read the enhancements made gives it a slight better sound than the Fryette PS2. Very versatile. I have a several favorite old combo amps and heads and love the flexibility of the PS2 with them.

Fryette LXII - 50 watts a side (when need stereo) or 100 watts bridged. 1 rack space and it also sounds amazing with the Axe FX. Slightly heavier than the PS2 but nothing too crazy. No effects loop. Can not be used as an amp attenuator. I would not hesitate to buy this again if stolen. I primarily use this one live with my AXEIII and 1985 Marshall 1965A 4X10 cab. I modded this amp for stereo and love, love this setup. Compact and has a punch.

I have owned the Matrix power amp and bought it twice now and sold it both times. It was ok but it just did not have the spank (feel) compared to the Fryettes. Granted last time I used the Matrix with my Marshall cab was before Cygnus was released so I am sure the feel gap has been closed even more.

My vote: If you just need one for live only go with the Fryette LXII especially if you ever way to experiment with stereo. 1 rack space is a big deal.
if you want something more versatile at home with other amps and on stage Fryette PS100.

Last edited:
Hey , I just joined the Fractal family with the adquisition of the FM3, I’m really loving this device so far it’s amazing.

I’m playing really often live with a louder prog band, and my background has been always related with tube and analog gear. I think that an FRFR solution it’s not going to suit my needs as a back line.

I have in mind to buy an Orange 2x12 V30, but I have doubts about wich kind of poweramp I should choose. Notice that the specs of this cabinet are
I’ve heard about the matrix but it’s out of stock in Europe Germany where I live, what would be your recommendations , maybe something easy to buy in thomann or similars?

Have you looked at this video? I realize you posted you may not be down with FR but you might give this a try to see if it will work before you climb back into a guitar cab and power amp.

If that still doesn't work then I second the V30 cab but I would look at a vertical 212, better coverage pattern!

As to power amps anything tube is going to be spendy! the already mentioned Fryette LXII PS100 would be my 1st choice, I never read anything bad about that amp other than they are hard to get. Maybe a ENGL 840/50 given you are in Europe might be easier to get IDK.

SS amps, Matrix GT 800 FX though you might be pressed for headroom if you are pushing it volume wise running a 16 Ohm cab, Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700 again you might need to run an 8-4 Ohm cab to get you headroom at volume.

Orange pedalbaby 100 might be a good fit to your 2x12 cab and it’s also a less expensive option compared to the fryette.

This is what I use! I run my Fractal into a Pedalbaby 100 that I have racked in with my Axe III and that goes into my Bogner 212CB. It sounds amazing!!!!

Orange pedalbaby 100 might be a good fit to your 2x12 cab and it’s also a less expensive option compared to the fryette.

This is what I use! I run my Fractal into a Pedalbaby 100 that I have racked in with my Axe III and that goes into my Bogner 212CB. It sounds amazing!!!!

Orange Pedal baby. My favorite

At least try it. It works great with any cab but if you care about matching amp and cab you should test it for yourself.

If you choose the Orange 2x12 you could change the wiring: Parallel witch results in 4 ohms or stereo 2x 8 ohms...

If you choose the Orange 2x12 you could change the wiring: Parallel witch results in 4 ohms or stereo 2x 8 ohms...
This is a pretty dogmatic statement.

A 16 ohm cab can result in an amp being voltage limited, which is why power ratings are often lower at 16 ohm vs 8 ohm, however a 4 ohm cab can result in the amp being current limited or becoming unstable due to low impedance..

Both the cab/ speakers AND amp need to be considered…eg..pedal baby above won’t run a 4 ohm load

This is a pretty dogmatic statement.

A 16 ohm cab can result in an amp being voltage limited, which is why power ratings are often lower at 16 ohm vs 8 ohm, however a 4 ohm cab can result in the amp being current limited or becoming unstable due to low impedance..

Both the cab/ speakers AND amp need to be considered…eg..pedal baby above won’t run a 4 ohm load
Absolutely true and good point. And of course the impedance have to match to the amplifier... Normally no problem if you choose a SD Powerstage or Matrix.

(All 212 horizontal cabs are also vertical cabs)

Try FRFR before you write it off, you may be surprised.

I’m using both a Powerstage 170 and a TC Electronics BAM200 to power a couple of 2x12’s. I haven’t quite pinpointed why yet, but I actually prefer the BAM200. For $160 it’s pretty tough to beat, I’m going to scoop up another eventually.

I’m using both a Powerstage 170 and a TC Electronics BAM200 to power a couple of 2x12’s. I haven’t quite pinpointed why yet, but I actually prefer the BAM200. For $160 it’s pretty tough to beat, I’m going to scoop up another eventually.

Strop trying to take my money!! ;)

I have tried a few of the FRFR options and I can't get off the train
of guitar speakers and an actual cab. Powering it all with a 100W
EL34 based head right now, but would love to snag a convenient,
low-cost option. You know. Just in case. :)

What I’m really curious about is using the BAM as a pedal platform, since it’s technically a bass head and not a power amp, it just has the option of dialing in a flat EQ curve. I’ve been looking around for a small bass cab so I can have a living room bass rig as well…..because have a giant FM9 board and two 2x12’s in my living room isn’t enough. :D

What I’m really curious about is using the BAM as a pedal platform, since it’s technically a bass head and not a power amp, it just has the option of dialing in a flat EQ curve. I’ve been looking around for a small bass cab so I can have a living room bass rig as well…..because have a giant FM9 board and two 2x12’s in my living room isn’t enough. :D
I am using the GB Streamliner bass amp as my amp for an FRFR.. having the axe/fx3 into the aux in .. which conveniently allows the bass to also be played ..simultaneously (well, if i had 4 arms..).. but anyway, the Celestion F12-x200 in my 212OB cab sound pretty good for bass.. and of course work well as an FRFR for the axe.

all this drivel to just say you dont need extra gear for a bass or guitar setup..lol

The TC looks interesting. How do you set the tone and gain on it for the least color from the TC?

I have used a PS170 for several years. I had a PS1 50watt when I got the PS170 (helix back then) and me and my friends that play didn't notice much difference in tone, so I sold the Fryette. I usually leave the PS170 at our practice space and play it through either a FX12-200 cab or a cab with guitar speakers and turn cab's off.

I got a PT15IR recently, and have been using the line out with IRs turned off to reamp through the PS170 into a cab to get the tone I like at low volume. The PT has a great master, but this sounds best to me. Would be cool to pick up the TC to keep at home and leave the PS170 at practice to use with my Fractals. The PT with master on 4-5 is perfect for our band mix, but I could see having to control volume when we places that the sound guy tries to keep the guitars stage volume super low.

I am using the GB Streamliner bass amp as my amp for an FRFR.. having the axe/fx3 into the aux in .. which conveniently allows the bass to also be played ..simultaneously (well, if i had 4 arms..).. but anyway, the Celestion F12-x200 in my 212OB cab sound pretty good for bass.. and of course work well as an FRFR for the axe.

all this drivel to just say you dont need extra gear for a bass or guitar setup..lol

I'm not a fan of bass through guitar cabs, I don't do the FRFR thing.

The TC looks interesting. How do you set the tone and gain on it for the least color from the TC?

I have used a PS170 for several years. I had a PS1 50watt when I got the PS170 (helix back then) and me and my friends that play didn't notice much difference in tone, so I sold the Fryette. I usually leave the PS170 at our practice space and play it through either a FX12-200 cab or a cab with guitar speakers and turn cab's off.

I got a PT15IR recently, and have been using the line out with IRs turned off to reamp through the PS170 into a cab to get the tone I like at low volume. The PT has a great master, but this sounds best to me. Would be cool to pick up the TC to keep at home and leave the PS170 at practice to use with my Fractals. The PT with master on 4-5 is perfect for our band mix, but I could see having to control volume when we places that the sound guy tries to keep the guitars stage volume super low.

Bass at 10 o clock, mid at 3 o'clock and the treble at noon. Though I often stray from that depending on the room I'm in.

you are the perfect candidate for sticking some Celestion F12-x200 speakers into one of your cabs..

its the FRFR solution for those who don't like FRFR

Back
Top Bottom