• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Poweramp for EV ELX112

Stillbruch

Experienced
Dear community

I'm looking for a poweramp to drive an EV ELX112-monitor, which should mainly be used with the Axe-Fx II. I don't possess the EV yet, by the way. Obviously, the Matrix GT1000FX would be something like the best solution, considering the reviews in this forum, however, I can't afford it, at least not in the following 12 months. That's why I've decided to look for a decent PA-poweramp below 400 € (I'm living in Switzerland and mostly order such stuff from Germany). I do not consider using that poweramp to drive a guitar cabinet. By the way, the Matrix GT1000FX costs 749€ if I order it from G66.

Roughly a month ago, I've borrowed a Matrix GT800FX and a Crown XLS 1000 from a friend and tested them both (not specifically with the EV-monitor). I liked the former one better, but I couldn't exactly tell why. Anyway, I can't afford a Matrix, so I need to stick to "cheaper" PA-poweramps. I've considered following models, which are available at the store I usually order from (feel free to suggest other models, but ART-poweramps are difficult to get in Switzerland/Germany):
  • QSC GX 3 (I've read some negative stuff regarding TIM in this forum)
  • Crown XLS 1000 (already tested one, but without a comparison to other PA-poweramps, I can't tell anything)
  • QSC RMX 850 (scratches the 400 €-limit)

The EV ELX112 itself costs around 315 €. Together with a poweramp, it would cost me around 700 €. The other possibility would be to buy the active version (EV ELX112P), which costs 649 €. The downside is that if one day I bought a second one for some kind of reason, it would cost me more than buying two passive monitors and one poweramp. Furthermore, I don't know if the poweramp of the active version is any good.

I won't use the monitor in noisy places, therefore I do not require a massive amount of power. The noisiest place is the bandroom (does that word exist in English?), but a cranked up VOX AC15C1 cuts well through the mix, if you know what I mean, and I only want to hear myself from the monitor.

I hope some of you have some experience in using a PA-poweramp with an (almost) full-range speaker and can share them with me.

Best regards & thanks

Funeral

Fractal Fanatic
I have the powered EV's and one is great, two are LOUD, or not, if you choose.
Its all personal preference.

Top Bottom