Power section: AC Line Freq

GuttaLaser

Power User
Just a question about the AC Line freq in the power section of the amp block.
How this parametre affect the sound?... and there is any relation with the actual ac freq in the electric line I use (here in Italy the AC freq is 50Hz!!!)
TNX in adv.

Adjusting the AC line freq is very subtle unless you've set the power amp with pretty extreme settings (if you crank sag and turn down B+ time constant you get a really cool ring mod type effect, and the line freq adjusts the 'weirdness'). You can hear it with standard settings though. The effect is a bit more obvious with certain models (e.g. ODS100). I find that lowering it gives a teensy bit more pick attack, and raising it makes things a little thicker. I first tested it with 50hz because thats what I have in my country too. Pretty much (if I can be bothered) I use 50hz for tighter sounds, 60hz for spongier sounds, and all over the place for ringmod sounds.

Tnx for the answer! So you think that it isn't only a "virtual" parametre of modeling engine... I mean... you say that there is a real relation with the actual AC freq of the electric line?

There's no relation to actual AC frequency. That gets eliminated in the power supply.

Back
Top Bottom