1. Recent events require us to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.
    Dismiss Notice

Power Over Midi

Discussion in 'MFC Discussion' started by Fro, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Fro

Fro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

2. Narzugon

Narzugon
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

All you need is a 7 pin to 7 pin midi cable.

3. Fro

Fro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I should have specified. I'm using the MFC with the Axe Fx III in standard midi mode. The III doesn't have 7-pin midi and doesn't supply power over midi. This would be in lieu of what would normally be available on the older units.

Narzugon likes this.
  4. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

the midi cable alone wouldn't transfer power. you need to plug in the power supply somewhere, which gets the power to the 2 extra pins on the 7-pin midi cable. RJM makes a phantom power box for 5-pin to 7-pin. not sure if it works with the MFC, but it might.

5. Fro

Fro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Not sure if the Sweetwater link above worked or not, but this midi cable is 5 pins on one end along with a barrel receptacle for plugging in a wallwart, and then 7 pin on the other side. I was assuming that the positive and negative of the barrel was wired directly to pins 6 and 7 on the other side. So I would plug the barrel portion into the supplied Fractal wallwart that I would mount in the rack case. That is, if it really is as simple as that.

6. chris

chris
    Expand Collapse

oh. i looked too quickly. i assume it would work, if the wiring is correct for the MFC. i tried getting more info from the Rocktron site, but i can't find anything.

in theory, this should work.

7. MrGuitarabuse

MrGuitarabuse
    Expand Collapse
    Fractal Fanatic

That one should work nicely

8. Fro

Fro
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Cool cool. Thanks guys. I've got one order. I'll let you know how it works out.

9. notalemming

notalemming
    Expand Collapse
    Forum Addict

Bestronics has one that is compatible the MFC (MIDI57B-XX) It has a slightly different sized barrel for the wall wart than their Rocktron cable. It's more expensive but they make great cables.

https://btpa.com/Midi-Footswitch/5-to7-Pin-Midi/

10. somata

somata
    Expand Collapse
    Inspired

I ran the Rocktron 5-7pin cable with my GC Pro for years and it worked great. No issues over lots of shows. Only thing to maybe double check that the MFC gets power off of the same pins...I'd assume it's standard, but maybe worth an email to Fractal support to be extra sure. Does the MFC manual indicate which pins it gets power from? Again, probably a non-issue, but I tend to be a little OCD and fussy about that kind of stuff when it could fry something...o_O