Power conditioners?

DLW

Inspired
Adding up and researching everything I may need for the AXE3 purchase.....

Will be using the unit just at home but it it will be moving often from the 1st to 3rd level with other people in the house using rooms until I can build a dedicated studio summer of 2020. So I was looking at rack bags and cases vs make my own.

Have seen a lot of pics here of power conditioners in racks and a few with just a 3u rack case for the AXE3. Some great bundle deals online for 4u racks and power conditioners although 3u seems very efficient for regular moving up and down stairs for now.

My house is 20 years old as far as the electric set up but I know that does not guarantee quality consistent power. No previous issues with my tube amps. I use decent power strips. Will not be gigging.

Do I really need a power conditioner? Is it money well spent for my situation?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Definitely recommended. Even in a home power spikes, variation and outages happen. Also, most conditioners come with several outlets on back so you can run other gear through it and keep the power clean and consistent.

Reactions: DLW
A lot of them do almost nothing, effectively over priced power strips with an RCD built in . I had an issue with my Matrix GT1000fx and the guy at matrix said unless you have a highish end one they are no better than a $10 RCD with a few extra sockets. So unless you get one that actively controls the power I would say don't bother.

Adding up and researching everything I may need for the AXE3 purchase.....

Will be using the unit just at home but it it will be moving often from the 1st to 3rd level with other people in the house using rooms until I can build a dedicated studio summer of 2020. So I was looking at rack bags and cases vs make my own.

Have seen a lot of pics here of power conditioners in racks and a few with just a 3u rack case for the AXE3. Some great bundle deals online for 4u racks and power conditioners although 3u seems very efficient for regular moving up and down stairs for now.

My house is 20 years old as far as the electric set up but I know that does not guarantee quality consistent power. No previous issues with my tube amps. I use decent power strips. Will not be gigging.

Do I really need a power conditioner? Is it money well spent for my situation?

Thank you!

Depends on how anal one is about hum, noise and other interference, I would definitely recomend it, it helped a lot in my home-studio and I'm very anal about having a hair in the soup.

I recommend power conditioners, cheap insurance to feed good power to expensive gear. For example someone in the house turns on a washing machine, you see lights dim but your equipment in the studio will be protected from that fluctuation.

cheap ones are convienant if nothing else... nice way to power you Axe, your wireless, plug in your powered monitor speakers etc, keeping everything on the same circuit, one switch to power it all on/off etc. Glorified power strip yes, but what option is there ? Duct tape a power strip to the inside of the rack ? Your paying a few bucks for the form factor, maybe some lights if you need them, but overall I think they are still good bang for the buck from a practical convenience standpoint .

Reactions: DLW
Back
Top Bottom