Power Conditioner

Qrious

I'm anxiously awaiting my email, in the meantime, I thought I'd ask what you guys are using for a power conditioner?

Anyone using something other than Furman or Monster?

The Carvin power conditioner sits at a great price point and has some nice features to it. I'm personally using a Furman that I've had for many years, but have been looking at the Carvin if I need another for a second rack setup. I've also used Juice Goose conditioners as well with no problems whatsoever.

I've had a pl8+ in my rack for years... thinking about the carvin due to the sequential power up and down... will stop the pops and me unplugging my xlr cable to my monitor all the time.

There have been threads on this in the past, so you may want to have a search for a more in-depth discussion, but I use (at various times):

a) - Furman AR-1215 (a TRUE voltage regulator)
b) - A MONSTER Pro 2500
c) - Nothing - the Axe-FX PS is pretty robust (others may feel differently)

If I were going somewhere that the power was not known to be solid, I'd opt for solution a)

Downside? $$$

Furman PL Pro DMC... clean power, LED lights for the rack, USB charger built in. All goodness in one rack space.

I've also hear good things on the Carvins. Having owned a lot of their gear, I can easily believe that. I love the sequenced power on that they offer.

As noted, you can always do without. I wouldn't. But you could...

+1 for Furman AR-1215. I carry this unit in a separate 2-space rack (it's a 1U device) to every gig. When we play in larger venues, there are dedicated 20A circuits available for stage power. But in smaller clubs this device is crucial to manage fluctuating supply voltage. Sometimes the stage power is fed from the same circuit as the lights, or the kitchen deep-fryer or something. Many of us are using Class D amps, which are fantastic for their light weight; they can be very sensitive to fluctuating line voltage, and the AR-1215 really stabilizes those amps.

By the way, I'd strongly recommend purchasing a couple of those $1.99 plug-in circuit testers from your local hardware store. When my band gets ready to set up onstage, the first thing I do is take a quick sweep of the stage power supply by plugging a circuit tester into each stage outlet. I don't know how many times I've discovered (a) an open ground (b) a hot-neutral reversal or (c) a dead outlet. I identify each outlet with a piece of board tape to indicate my findings, marking good outlets and taping over bad ones. It sure saves time in gremlin-hunting. I also carry the tools necessary to deal with those basic issues; when it's necessary to address a wiring problem I'll discuss the situation with the management, and with their blessing, shut down breakers to correct outlet wiring issues before we set up.

Scarier still: Once we arrived at a club where we had played many times. I did my usual outlet test and when I plugged my tester into the stage power where I usually set up, the tester immediately went FZZZZZT and emitted a tiny sad mushroom cloud. I checked the outlet with the multimeter; the club management had thoughtfully pulled new circuits to the stage since our last show there, but that whole bank of outlets was wired for 220v rather than 110v. The installer had wired both hot feeds to the outlet rather than splitting them for two 110v sides (!). It was a simple fix, and once corrected, we had really great stable power. My $1.99 tester went to heaven, but it could have been much worse. I'd like to think fuse-protected gear would be safe... but I'd have been mightily grumpy if my Boogie's xformer were blown.

And finally: I have training and experience dealing with electrical wiring. Don't mess with it unless you do too. I always notify the venue if I find something peculiar. I offer to address it only if it is necessary for our show to proceed; otherwise I just indicate the outlet(s) that are marked with board tape, and let them handle it.

I know all the pros use them. I don't play live more than 6 or 7 times a year and never used one or had a problem.
My impression is that it's some type of gear "insurance".
Why exactly do you need them?

Monster Pro 2500, picked it up used for a steal and it works great.

Me too. The thing I like most about the Monster is that it powers on (and off) in "stages" so the CLR comes on last and there is no "pop" because the Axe is already booted up by the time the CLR comes on. Works in reverse too, so when I flip the off switch, I don't get any pop either.

-Phil

mine is made by ETA Systems

as conditioners go it's not the best / most expensive.. but it seems pretty good to me…
my hair now has extra bounce and shine..

I know all the pros use them. I don't play live more than 6 or 7 times a year and never used one or had a problem.
My impression is that it's some type of gear "insurance".
Why exactly do you need them?

I have had the semi-joyous experience of seeing my Fractal rig powered down when someone inadvertently caused 240 volts to be put on a 120 volt circuit power cable. It just shut down power, so a reset had me back up and playing. Semi-joyous because I, at the same moment, watched my partner's unprotected Boogie go up in a literal puff of smoke... to the tune of $500ish in repairs. Prior to this I used it and the AR-1215 because I am just that way... cautious and untrusting of the electrical work in clubs and outdoor festivals. From there forward it was simple experience.

Does the PLC Pro have the two stage power on feature?

Mine does not, I wish it did. It's a useful feature. It does have great protection features though, and is not a "one hit and replace" sort of unit. You have to be careful because many lower cost units will not tell you if their protection circuit has been toasted... at which point you have a nice, unprotected power strip.

Back
Top Bottom