Power Conditioner?

LerxstFan

Inspired
Does anyone use a power conditioner with their AX8? I've always used my old Monster 3500 with my 11Rack and will likely use it with the AX8. If you have any lighter weight alternatives - lol - I'd love to hear those suggestions. Thanks!

I use the Furman M-8Lx. 5.5 lbs. Don't know if it does all that the monster does but it certainly protects against surges and does have emi filter. I have a small 4u rack for the Furman, my wireless mic and in ear monitors and got a 25 FT power cable to run from the rack up to my pedal board. Used it for over a year with the AX8 and it seems to work fine.

Yes, I use one. Besides the power being a bit more tidy, it provides multiple outlets on my rack, and light for my setlists. I use the Furman PL-Pro DMC. It's been very reliable.

It is always a good idea (if not a requirement) to have good power for audio devices, doesn’t matter if they have a more robust power supply design. I use a bunch of stuff at home but I am happy with just a Furman SS-6B for gigs.

Great info - thank you for all the responses!

The Monster is a heavy beast, but I don't want to take a chance and go with nothing. I'll check out all the recommendations - thanks!

I have some noise problems at home, would a power conditioner make it go away?

Depends on the noise. How is your equipment connected? Do you play single coil or humbuckers? If you play a strat, does the noise goes away on the position 2 and 4? Do use pedals, and if you do, how are feeding them (maybe daisy chain)?

You need to isolate if you have a ground loop noise (power conditioners can help here but it is not guaranteed), line noise (this is where the power conditioners help a lot), or your single coil pickups are capturing any kind of noise (power conditioners do nothing to prevent this one).

From my point of view, power conditioners never harm (quite the opposite) and can help, so, why not...

I'm interested in some kind of voltage regulator as I've had spontaneous reboots in a couple clubs.
I'm thinking its from low voltage/brown out type situations but anything that would protect from that start in the $500 range.
Anybody have experience with this?

I'm interested in some kind of voltage regulator as I've had spontaneous reboots in a couple clubs.
I'm thinking its from low voltage/brown out type situations but anything that would protect from that start in the $500 range.
Bad power would cause my old G-System to do some crazy stuff.

@RLD I have a Furman power regulator on our mixer rack, an old unit called the AR-1215. It will correct voltage variances, especially low voltage, back to standard within its range of operation. This model is no longer made, but you can find them used at times. They are a bit heavy, and a tad costly, but it has never failed to fix funky club or generator power. It’s my security blanket when using digital mixing boards.

They probably make a new version, just search Furman power regulator instead of power conditioner.

I had a few reboots, and also had to deal with low voltage a few times, and always felt better running a power conditioner.

A $30+ cost to protect your $1000+ purchase seems like common sense to me. Then again, if common sense were so common, why don't more people have it?

The questions are :

What do you want to protect against ?
What are you willing to pay ?

Living in Europe with a 230V system a voltage drop to 100V would most likely stop a lot of things but not the AX8. That's different in the US where a drop by 20V already exceeds the AX8 operational limits. To cover that sort of thing you need to spend more than 30$. Surge protection again is different, it's a lot cheaper and yes, I would agree it's a no brainer when playing festivals and outdoor gigs where things like lightning strike do happen. Then there's the EMI filter discussion. Has anyone ever the popped the hood and checked if the AX8 already has an EMI filter ?

The questions are :

What do you want to protect against ?
What are you willing to pay ?

Living in Europe with a 230V system a voltage drop to 100V would most likely stop a lot of things but not the AX8. That's different in the US where a drop by 20V already exceeds the AX8 operational limits. To cover that sort of thing you need to spend more than 30$. Surge protection again is different, it's a lot cheaper and yes, I would agree it's a no brainer when playing festivals and outdoor gigs where things like lightning strike do happen. Then there's the EMI filter discussion. Has anyone ever the popped the hood and checked if the AX8 already has an EMI filter ?
What you're referring to in your scenario is a voltage regulator and yes, good ones start in the $500.00 range. The OP is asking about power conditioners, which the $30 Furman I referenced will do (EMI and RFI noise reduction) as well as offer surge protection. Point being is you don't have to spend a lot of money to reduce the potential for noise and offer basic protection for your gear which makes it rather foolish to go without it.

Back
Top Bottom