Power amp

sherpa_man

Inspired
What are you guys using as a power amp? I need abit of advise on this on, I like the look of the mesa 20/20 or maybe the 2:50, i cant get hold of the Atomic 50/50 in the uk yet. Any other amps you guys would recommend?

Your very own UK-based Matrix Amplification makes ss power amps which get great reviews at the moment.
Lightweight, affordable, 1U.

- Matrix website
- Long tread
- And a demo:

After perusing the lengthy thread that yek has referenced, I ordered a GT800FX yesterday from Tone Merchants here in the States. Their first shipment is in transit from the UK. I look forward to hearing how this sounds. I'm yet undecided on speakers, but I am leaning towards investing in the EVMs in the not-too-distant future.

I use a Marshall 8008.. sounds great, loud, 1U

in the past I have used:
Marshall EL34 100/100.. sounds great, loud, 3U [I think]
Mesa Strategy 400... sounds great, loud, 3U [can't remember]

none of them sound much different from each other to be honest
the only thing with the Marshall EL34 and Mesa were size and weight... huge and really heavy...

If I needed to replace the 8008 I'd certainly look into the Matrix..

Looking into the Matrix now, they seem great, Just a small niggle, i can get a as new mesa boogie 2:50 for £150 more.

hey guys im looking into buying an Axe Fx 2 Ultra and i dont know what power amp to buy i was looking at the ART SLA2 power amp and the MATRIX GT800FX which one should i get does it matter? also im using a line 6 4-10 cab. this is just for jaming and playing the odd show with my band. also if i have the solid state line 6 lll head do i need a power amp or would i be able to run the ultra throught the head?

I'm using a Rocktron Velocity 300 (solid state) power amp. It's very clear, zero maintenance and cranks. It's also very affordable. Love it!

I have a Mesa 50/50 (old model - not the 2:50) with factory fitted Deep Mod - the very first 50/50 models were designed for the Mesa Studio Pre and had a pronounced mid honk which didn't go down well with later Triaxis preamp users so the 'Deep Mod' evened the whole amp out giving deeper extended bass response and smoother mids/highs.

It's been lying in storage in a rack for a few years as I haven't been gigging - but now I will be escaping from home again as the band are reforming.

I just got a couple of EVM12Ls and fired all up to hear whats what - and discovered one of the 12ax7 preamp tubes had started to bum out - and probably the whole amp needs re-tubed (4 6L6s and 3 12ax7s).

Moral of story: Valve amps can be lovely ..... but re-tubing them regularly is an expensive pain in the arse. Also, a lot of valve amps (Atomic 50/50 excepted) can colour your sound too much meaning you might have to turn the power amp simulation off in the Axe amp blocks (Sag value to zero) which complicates things when you want to send a direct signal to your FOH as well as run a cabinet on stage.

The OP mentioned a Mesa 20/20 ..... I think that amp will definitely colour your sound significantly at stage volume .... if going tube try to get the largest wattage you can ... it will give you better clean headroom to play with. 50 watts per side in tube amp terms is minimum requirement I'd reckon.

EDIT: One other thing .... you might say it's fine I can carry a few spare tubes when gigging with a Tube Power amp and you can replace a blown tube, but if it's one of the input stage tubes (usually 12ax7s) that farts out on you and you attempt to replace it you stand a good chance of dying if you mess around too much - even with the amp disconnected from the power there's capacitors in there with around 500 volts charged into them waiting to unload on you if you touch them.

The Matrix is looking better and better to me every day

Last edited:
Looking into the Matrix now, they seem great, Just a small niggle, i can get a as new mesa boogie 2:50 for £150 more.
this was something i was going to point out that maxdown hit on the head: you pay $$ for proper feeding and caring of a tube amp.

not to mention that matrix is in the uk, so manufacturer warrantied services would not cost an arm & leg to ship to fix. plus the matrix probably weighs about 1/6 the 2:50 and it's only 1u.

but if you want to buy the mesa for the name, the look, and the tone, then that is your perogative. i have no personal opinion either way; i'm running through studio monitors at the moment anyway. we'll see what i end up with once i move into a house.

what cab are you running it through?

Me? I'm using 2 Marshall 1x12 cabs at the moment - but will be using a custom made open back 2x12 Pine cab soon - Smilefan on here has recommended this type for the EVs as giving the best 'flatter and wider' response that the EVs are claimed to pump out - so can use Cab IRs for a lot of patches as an extra bonus.

Pine cabs are hard to find in the UK so TT (tube-town.de) could be a good place to look to prevent Import duties rather than getting one from the US - I only discovered they did them (at very reasonable prices IMO) after I'd commissioned a custom build.

Some would argue that the EVs are better in Thiel type closed back cabs - but years ago I had a Mesa Boogie Mk3 combo - it had the EVM12 in it and was fine - more than fine actually.

I use a Marshall 8008.. sounds great, loud, 1U

in the past I have used:
Marshall EL34 100/100.. sounds great, loud, 3U [I think]
Mesa Strategy 400... sounds great, loud, 3U [can't remember]

none of them sound much different from each other to be honest
the only thing with the Marshall EL34 and Mesa were size and weight... huge and really heavy...

If I needed to replace the 8008 I'd certainly look into the Matrix..

Clarky, Are you still playing through the 8008? I'm thinking about getting one of these. I've heard about these amps having no output protection but I think an wire an in-line fuse(??). Thanks

Back
Top Bottom