Power Amp

Just changed my live rig over to Axe Fx3
I'm one of these people that still like to feel and hear the sound behind me playing live, so the intention is to run a signal to FOH and another to custom cabs being built loaded with FRFR's
My previous rig was driven by a Marshall EL34 100/100 but I'm interested to learn what everyone else is using as Im aware the Marshall may colour the tone and sound of the Axe FX?
(Fingers crossed we can all play live again soon !)
Cheers

Popular choices here are the Seymour Duncan Powerstage or Matrix gt800fx or gt1000fx.
See if you prefer rack or pedal format

When I choose to run through an amp / cab rig I use a QSC RMX2450 which produces 350 watts per side into two 16 Ohm 4x12 cabs. I would never bring all of that out to a gig because of the size, weight, and hassle (345 Lbs for the cabs and power amp).

My Two penneth....

Having struggled big time with the Axe fx 3 (as a long time valve amp supporter).

I fruitlessly spent 2 years trying to "Hone" my "signature" sound. I went full circle from FRFR back to conventional guitar speakers.

Listen.

Matrix GT800 Eminence EJ1250

I have 2 matrix active speakers ( saves room in the rack) and a headrush 212 active speaker. Depending on the gig I bring it and use them as floor monitor.
I LOVE the matrix speakers. The headrush is nice too and it gives a bit more of the guitar speaker growl. It’s less frfr (although they are sold as such) but the sound is good on stage. Slao the headrush is angled like a floor monitor and the matrix I have to tilt.

Harm

I went with Matrix GT1000, and a Greenboy designed FEARLESS F115 15" full range cab, made by Tricky Audio here in the UK. It's very different from playing in front of a 4x12, as you can hear yourself pretty loud on stage rather than most of the sound flapping your trouser legs. It's kind of overkill for a guitar speaker, but saved me buying a second cab if I need something for bass guitar. It has involved quite a bit of adjustment in the way I conceive my own sound, but worthwhile if it means no-one in the audience gets caught in the "treble beam" of a 4x12 (or 2). Also means what I hear is much closer to what the audience and front of house engineer get to hear.

Liam

[P.S. Just saw Neale's post above. I guess I said it in a kinder way. I knew my guitar sounded amazing to me on stage, but then in some reasonable size venues I had a wander round in front of the stage during soundcheck with a wireless setup for my guitar. In some places in the auditorium my guitar sound wasn't just bad, it was excruciatingly painful. I don't think I can ever go back to where I was. I hope I didn't damage too many other people's ears over the 20 years or so I used cranked up tube amps sitting on 4x12 cabs...]

Last edited:
Have had multiple FRFR setups including Atomic CLR, Friedman ASM-12, Line 6 Powercab, Laney, and the QSC K12.

While they sounded decent, nothing has come close to the Matrix GT1000FX played through my 2x12 Vertical Mesa Cab. From clean to mean this setup just sounds great.

Not saying FRFR isn't the best option, but might be worth trying multiple setups and comparing them to get the sound you're looking for.

I play home only and use a SD powersrage coupled with a mesa recto 1x12 cab. I did the move after years of playing through my adam a7x studio monitors (first with my axe fx ii and then the iii) and, although sound was amazing, i missed the real guitar cab sound so. So far i am enjoying this setup more.

If you do end up going with a Matrix power amp, I highly recommend the 2U version of the GT1000FX. Bigger fan and much quieter for home and studio use. Plus its the same price as the 1U version.

I also tried the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 700. While it sounded decent, the fan drove me nuts in my quiet studio and much happier with the Matrix. Definitely looks cooler too!

I used to have a Randall NB King 100. Loved the mids and highs it had but it had no bottom end what so ever and I was so disappointed because of that. you could make it scream for days but no good bottom end sucked. I think the Peavey Triple X is way underrated because that amp matched with a Marshall 1960A cab is a monster ready to eat the paint off every wall in the house

Back
Top Bottom