Power Amp

ODboy

Inspired
Yo Guys,
I am considering to purchase a Matrix power amp.
I use the XL+ and would like to connect it to a 2*12 Marshall cab.
Would be glad if you could share your experiences with your Axe and real cabs.
How does it sound? Does it sound like a regular tube amp?
Do you recommend this setup?

I fully endorse my Matrix power amp. Previously I used a Marshall 8008 poweramp into two Marshall cabs, and I had to create a separate set of presets without cab sims. Which seemed logical at the time as I actually had two cabs. With the Matrix I could actually use my cab sim blocks again. Best poweramp I ever had! It's also 5 kilos lighter then the Marshall.

I am running a Axefx II XL through a Matrix GT800FX set in stereo to two 1 x 12 EVM12L cabs that I built. I felt it sounded way too tinny with cab sims off, so I leave power amp and cab sims on and tweak the cab sim to sound right. If you look up the videos of Danny Danzi, he has a lot of insight into these things and can teach you a lot about tweaking your sound. With this setup I get a nice chunky sound and lush stereo effects. I would like to some day try the FRFR monitors, but the good ones are so expensive. The Matrix has a very flat response, but whatever speakers you use in your cabinet (and the cabinet) will affect your tone.

I'm suprise that so many use Cab-sims with a real Cab, cuz that really defeat the purpose.
I run poweramp sim on (as you should with matrix) and no cab sim with my EVM-12L 2x12 and it sounds huge.

I'm suprise that so many use Cab-sims with a real Cab, cuz that really defeat the purpose.
I run poweramp sim on (as you should with matrix) and no cab sim with my EVM-12L 2x12 and it sounds huge.

I was surprised myself, because with the Marshall cabsims sounded like pants through a cabinet, which was what I had available at rehearsal. But with the Matrix it sounds pants without the cabsims.

As for expensive FRFR speakers, I use one of these together with a regular 1x12 Egnater cabinet.
http://shop.ritteramps.de/en/frfr-speaker-diy-kits/8-camper-plus-diy-kit.html

Together they make a good combo in the rehearsal room, whereas live I plan to go directly into the FOH as I have in-ears.

I use a Matrix GT1000 into a Matrix 2x12 cab, cab sims off, and it sounds fantastic. Very light weight and portable

I have a Matrix GT1000 and run it into a Marshall 4x12 and I absolutely love it for the Iron Maiden tribute I'm in. I highly recommend it. I have no desire to go to FRFR. If you want to hear it in a live setting, I use it in every video on our FB page. You can see my setup pretty clearly at points in our promo video. The sound you hear is from the house micing the cab, not direct from the Axe FX: https://www.facebook.com/pg/eyesofthenile/videos

Anybody that's using a cab + Cab Sim On is doing it wrong. I accidentally did this for one show and it sounded like complete garbage. 100% muddy, honky tone. Always Cab Sims off and Power Amp Modeling On. Period.

I have a Matrix GT1000 and run it into a Marshall 4x12 and I absolutely love it for the Iron Maiden tribute I'm in. I highly recommend it. I have no desire to go to FRFR. If you want to hear it in a live setting, I use it in every video on our FB page. You can see my setup pretty clearly at points in our promo video. The sound you hear is from the house micing the cab, not direct from the Axe FX: https://www.facebook.com/pg/eyesofthenile/videos

Anybody that's using a cab + Cab Sim On is doing it wrong. I accidentally did this for one show and it sounded like complete garbage. 100% muddy, honky tone. Always Cab Sims off and Power Amp Modeling On. Period.
That doesn't make it wrong! Did you try to tweak any of your sounds with the cab sim on? Most guitarists that I have met in my life prefer trebely, ear splitting tinny sound. That "honky" sound that you refer to is called tone.

Do you have any high- gain patches that you made that you could send me? I have a similiar setup, and I an interested in seeing how you set your tones.

That doesn't make it wrong! Did you try to tweak any of your sounds with the cab sim on? Most guitarists that I have met in my life prefer trebely, ear splitting tinny sound. That "honky" sound that you refer to is called tone.
I mean if it works for you, that's awesome! But I like to have my setup replicate an actual tube amp + cabinet as much as possible. If the tone is too trebly or tinny, I just turn down the Treble or Presence down. Nobody I've ever known with an actual tube amp mics up a speaker cabinet and then runs that sound through another mic'ed up cabinet.

I mean if it works for you, that's awesome! But I like to have my setup replicate an actual tube amp + cabinet as much as possible. If the tone is too trebly or tinny, I just turn down the Treble or Presence down. Nobody I've ever known with an actual tube amp mics up a speaker cabinet and then runs that sound through another mic'ed up cabinet.
Good point. I don't disagree.

The EVM 12L is supposed to be a neutral speaker when it comes to guitar speakers so one should be able to run cab sims through it with out to much coloring...

I don't think many people do this. You are probably just noting it when people mention it and the small sample space makes it feel like 'a lot'. I would wager heavily that the vast majority of guitar cab users run without cab sims. I know I do and it sounds absolutely horrible if you do (IMHO). Cliff himself has repeatedly told people that he recommends not doing it.

Back
Top Bottom