Power amp suggestions?

Emt142

Hey everyone I was thinking about getting a power amp and running through a cab at times just for funnsies. My 3 choices are tube power amp( specifically a Mesa) a matrix or possibly a Seymour Duncan power stage. Any one have any experience or thoughts? As a side note I sold my Rockerverb head and cab and have ZERO regrets. Just want to play loud sometimes lol

Depends on your budget.

The Power Stage is okay for the price. It's an ICEpower module in a box. We evaluated those modules for a project. They're "just okay". Poor damping factor at high frequencies but probably good enough.

Matrix is very good but, of course, costs more.

For a tube amp I would recommend Fryette.

When I first got my Axe II MKI back in the day I ran it though my Mesa 2:90 & 4 single 12 Mesa 90w speakers (power amp modeling ON, Cabs OFF). It sounded great, although with maybe a bit on Mesa coloring to everything. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) The 2:90 goes way louder than I would ever want & be in the same room!

When I first got my Axe II MKI back in the day I ran it though my Mesa 2:90 & 4 single 12 Mesa 90w speakers (power amp modeling ON, Cabs OFF). It sounded great, although with maybe a bit on Mesa coloring to everything. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) The 2:90 goes way louder than I would ever want & be in the same room!
Yeah I am sure that 2:90 was a beast!!! I had a dual rec and it seems that Mesa watts are generally louder than some other brands although I have played Marshall’s that seemed as though they exceeded their wattage as well, may just be the frequencies idk. Thanks for all the help guys. I am in no rush, I just finished playing for a couple of hours while everyone was sleeping and you cannot get these tones at this kind of volume with a tube amp, absolutely crushing metal tones and everyone is sleeping, man I love this thing.

Yeah I am sure that 2:90 was a beast!!! I had a dual rec and it seems that Mesa watts are generally louder than some other brands although I have played Marshall’s that seemed as though they exceeded their wattage as well, may just be the frequencies idk. Thanks for all the help guys. I am in no rush, I just finished playing for a couple of hours while everyone was sleeping and you cannot get these tones at this kind of volume with a tube amp, absolutely crushing metal tones and everyone is sleeping, man I love this thing.
You can get pretty brutal tones at low volume with the Axe 2:90 combo (or with the Triaxis I used for years) but you just can't get that impact that volume gives you. The Axe comes closer but still, there's nothing like moving a lot of air! Of course the big downside of the 2:90 is the thing is a boat anchor & not a lot of fun to move around!

Mesa power amps are great BUT they write MESA all over the tone. The Fryette is a lot more neutral and the matrix is more neutral again .I have a 5/50/2 and a GT1000fx. Tried the Mesa 2/90 2/50 and 2/20 all as above. The 2U GT1000fx is a LOT quieter in the fan so if you use it at home I would say go for it.

I wish Matrix would make a Power Stage sized amp for pedalboards. Ditching the rack is always my end goal but TBH the baby bomb, magnum44, and the rest just don't get me there. Power stage does a good job for the most part but could be better.

When you say the powerstage has poor damping factor at high frequencies, what does that mean?

Last edited:
I used the PowerStage 170 for the first time this weekend. Love it! Nice to have the EQ to fine tune on the fly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom