Power amp suggestion?

flageolet

Inspired
Hi!

I'm currently using an engl e850 power amp to an engl cab. I like this setup, but there's a certain warmth i m not getting compared to my hiwatt amp. I ve tried switching cabs to orange and marshall, but that resulted in minimal differences. They also all sounded very good through the hiwatt.

As i have read the power amp is a big factor in overall tone and have seen many positive reviews for the matrix power amp: any knowledge on whether this is a poweramp that would give a somewhat warmer/vintager tone compared to the engl?

Fyi:
Really want to use axefx exclusively as i have great base tones set up. I just cant part with the cab setup :)

Get a solid state power amp, like the Matrix. Here's why:

The Matrix is a solid state power amp, which is great to have when using an Axe FX with a guitar cab. Solid state power amps provide clean, neutral power to your cab which don't color your tone like your tube Engl power amp would. Why is this a good thing? You want that warm, tubey, gooey, squishy Power Amp distortion coming from your Axe FX, not the outboard gear.

Typically when you're using a tube power amp, like your Engl e850, you've probably heard/read folks suggesting, "Oh well if you're using a tube power amp for your cab, turn off Power Amp Simulation!" which is true. Otherwise, if you have Power Amp modeling active in the Axe FX, your guitar is passing through two power amp stages, which is not authentic. Having a solid state power amp allows you to turn on Power Amp modeling and puts the power amp coloration 100% in your control via the Axe FX.

Why the Matrix power amps vs say another solid state power amp? Honestly, I don't know the answer to that. Matrix power amps were designed specifically to be used with digital guitar modelling gear and just have the best reputation. I can say that I'm VERY happy with mine. It's light, it's small, it's LOUD AS FUCK, and it looks bad ass. Metallica uses them, which is saying something. Other brands are probably just as good, but I don't have the experience to say otherwise.

Last edited:
Why the Matrix power amps vs say another solid state power amp?

Exactly. There's way too much cork sniffing going on around here when it comes to power amps and FRFR speakers. Any rack power amp designed for a PA system will work just fine. I've been using a Monoprice 605030 2-channel 300W single space rack power amp for $99 that I'm more than happy with. I liked it so much I bought two more... one for my keyboard and one to power some floor monitors for my PA system. I would also check the used market for good brands... QSC, Crown.

Thanks all. I ll give the matrix a run and post my findings. Indeed a tube poweramp also reduces the versatility of the axefx. Stoked to get the direct amp sounds through cab with all their nuances. 🤗

I used an Engl power amp with my Axe FX Ultra years ago. They’re very nice! I thought my tone was spectacular but I had to crank it too loud to get the tubes to cooperate. I swapped out to the Matrix and a 2x12 Alnico cab. I’m still with it. It’s been the best compromise; inspiring tone, convincing versatility, manageable volume.

Back
Top Bottom