Power Amp + Speaker Cab or Powered Speakers?

APE

Inspired
I want to get recorded sounds and also good live sounds out of Axe-FX. What do I do?

I've never tried the Axe-FX and I won't be able to try it without having something to run it through.

However, can you hear a difference here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76S3E-wEgYY&feature=related ?

I hear more "contour" on the Dual Rectifier, like it's both punchier and has more presence. And that's through the built-in Macbook Pro speakers -- i'm not sitting in the room there.

I suspect that to get a real, live, breathing amp sound using Axe-FX, a power amp + guitar cab would be the way to go. Recorded/monitored sound != live sound.

However, if a power amp + speakers are used, how does that work out when you use a different cabinet simulation? For example, with Axe-FX set up with an open back cab with 2x12 celestion greenbacks (simulated), and running that through a (real) speaker cab that is a closed back with 50W celestions, what could be expected?

I would probably just mess around with it till it sounds good, but then, if I do that, I still need to have a speaker cab to put it through. So if I go with a cab (you can probably tell I'm that kinda dude), then what cab? Poweramp might be a Mesa Boogie 20/20. But that leaves the speaker cabinet variable. I don't know what to do. How do I know what to buy without trying it?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom