Power Amp Solution

indeloon85

Inspired
Hey guys,

Quick question. I'm going to be doing some gigs coming up, and normally I would use my 5153 as my power amp section for the Axe Fx, but I'm not feeling like lugging the head around just for amplification. So I'm thinking to pick up one of those Electro Harmonix Magnum 44 pedals. I know this won't be a Matrix power amp, but I'm curious about the feedback of this thing.

Or even another similar costing solution.

Thanks!

Mikko tried one out, gave it a fairly good review, but said it wasn't as good as his main setup at the time. I would be interested in hearing his opinion about it now that he's owned it for a while and tried more alternatives.

There are a number of threads on this.

Here is one I selected at random http://forum.fractalaudio.com/amps-...magnum-44w-guitar-power-amplifier-axe-fx.html

I've used the Axe in this config once, cant remember the cab, and I remember being pleasantly surprised. :)

Hey Gilly! I appreciate the search for that article! I've googled it before, and seem to only come up with ones that were a year or two ago, and hoping to hear anything thats more recent.

I really want to start using the power amp sim, and with the 5153, it sounds great, but I feel it sounds great when I'm playing the 5153 sims. Do you remember it being loud enough to have a practice with drums and whatnot? I'm not thinking to be blazingly loud, but I also don't want to easily get lost in the mix like a Line 6 because of the Magnum 44

The Magnum is a nice pedal. I keep one in my car for emergencies.
No hesitation to use it for a gig, but it's no comparison to a Matrix etc.

It's quite loud. It can keep up on a stage.
Keep Level below 11 o'clock to prevent distortion.

Yea I'd say its worth having to use for awhile, I also have one for a backup option. I'm curious to pull it out and try with the quantum FW too. See how it handles the improved bass response and what not. For the money, size, portability and availability its hard to go wrong snagging one.

Ive had a 44 magnum longer than I have owned an Axe Fx, it doesn't half shake the floorboards when cranked!

Haven't been able to use it in a practice/live situation yet, but a UK metal band called Heart Of A Coward run their Kempers through them live and sound massive! I messaged them asking how they are finding using such a small power amp, to which they replied, "they are plenty loud!"

Back
Top Bottom