Power amp simulation on even with an external power amp

MrCrossroads83

Experienced
I realised for myself that the AX 8 sounded better and more dynamic with power amp simulation on at every preset even when it was connected to my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and my guitar cab.
The powerstage was more like a mastervolume and three band EQ.

Does anyone of you do it the same way?

I am planning to do the same with my FM 3.

Yes, you should only turn off power amp simulation, if you run into a tube power amp.
Ok, that sounds like a good idea with a tube poweramp 🙂
But as the Powerstage 170 is a solid state poweramp it really comes to live with FAS poweramp simulation.
That underlines the impressive realism of their power amp simulations.

Ok, that sounds like a good idea with a tube poweramp 🙂
But as the Powerstage 170 is a solid state poweramp it really comes to live with FAS poweramp simulation.
That underlines the impressive realism of their power amp simulations.

Yes; for solid state amplification rigs, it’s INTENDED USE is for power amp modeling to be ON. This is also covered in the manual, and on the wiki.

My gig rig for the past year or so has been AX8 into TUBE power amp/guitar cab (loop return input on my tube head). I tested various AX8 amp blocks extensively, comparing with power amp modelling ON vs OFF. For me, Off was usable and pretty good, but ON could be made to sound and feel significantly better (to me) in every case. I'd find I had to be careful not to overdo SAG and master vol, and EQ a little different than I would with solidstate power. Careful tweaks to work with and enhance the tube coloration already present.

Last week I finally picked up an SD Powerstage170. First thing I did was try the same presets I'd been using with my tube power. No surprise, it sounds and feel more stiff and sterile on the same presets.. but most of what's missing can be brought back in while editing.

Solid state amps don’t interact with the speakers they’re plugged into. They output a totally flat (or as close as they can manage) signal.

Tube amps DO interact with the speakers they’re plugged into. They follow the speaker cab’s impedance curve.

For a guitar setup to sound its most authentic, exactly ONE of these curves, whether simulated or real, should be in the signal chain. If you’re using a solid state amp, turn on poweramp modeling in the Axe-Fx. If you’re using a real tube poweramp, turn off poweramp modeling in the Axe-Fx.

Then again, there are no rules. If it sounds good, it is good. For me, I find the best practice is to start with the generally accepted Best Practice and to then deviate to taste wherever and however you like. Feel free to get weird. As long as it’s digital, you won’t break anything.

The cool thing about the digital realm is there's no "right" way to do it. There's the "suggested" way, the way most people will use but the only thing that matters is does it sound good? If it sounds better with it on, leave it on. If it sounds better with it off, leave it off. It's not that difficult. It's not breaking any rules.

OP, I used an AX8 into the front of a tube amp and there were several amps I preferred the power amp sim on. Bottom line for me, and for you as you alluded to, they sounded better. There were other amps that sounded better with it off as well. Glad to see someone else isn't bound by the way things are supposed to be done and experiments with the tools.

There are cases where power amp modeling is a good idea, even with a tube power amp. If you’re not pushing that power amp into distortion (which happens all the time if you’re not running near full volume), the Axe’s power amp modeling will do that for you. :)

I realised for myself that the AX 8 sounded better and more dynamic with power amp simulation on at every preset even when it was connected to my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and my guitar cab.
The powerstage was more like a mastervolume and three band EQ.

Does anyone of you do it the same way?

I am planning to do the same with my FM 3.

I use this exact same set-up (AX8->Powerstage->Guitar Cab), with Power amp ON and it sounds great. You only miss out on the versatility of having different cab sounds, which is a big deal to some but I don't mind just the one (real) guitar cab.

This is like telling us coffee is so much better if you use water to make it rather than eating the beans straight out of the bag. You're SUPPOSED to make it with water. LOL.
You just described deconstructed coffee and now some handlebar mustache hipster in Brooklyn is trying to overcharge for the “experience”.

Back
Top Bottom