Power amp sag-o-meter

1. In recall mode, use the wheel to select an empty preset slot or one that I want to overwrite.
2. Power off
3. Hold down Recall and simultaneously power on.
4. Place amp block, cab block, connect left hand side grid to right hand side grid.
5. In the amp block choose the new 74 Plexi.
6. In the cab block choose the 4x12 TV Mix ML
7. Get into edit mode on the amp block from the front panel: Layout -> Nav to amp block -> Edit
8. Page to the Pwr Dyn page.
9. Play Detroit Rock City and watch the cool new B+ meter :)

Thanks, bahrecords. I'll give this a try tonight when I'm home. Does this method just guarantee a fresh preset with all parameters defaulted, or does it do something to other presets as well?

Thanks, bahrecords. I'll give this a try tonight when I'm home. Does this method just guarantee a fresh preset with all parameters defaulted, or does it do something to other presets as well?

It guarantees there will be no leftovers and clean blank slate.

Either the Fractal or AxeEdit or both (not sure) "remember" certain block settings.

For example, when you place an amp block, the amp model will default to the amp model of the last preset you were viewing.

When you do the power up + recall, the amp model will take the default of 59 bassguy (cab block 1x6 oval).

Good thought about the variac, but nope. It's at the default of 100%.

Bahrecords' experiment worked: I got a blank preset and loaded it and voila! Everything worked as I would have expected. Several db of gain reduction, and the amount varied as I changed the sag supply parameter, tube bias, MV, etc. More importantly, I can hear it!

Go to one of my existing presets with the same amp in it (Plexi 100W 1970) and see if it works there, and it doesn't. Hit the bypass button twice to restore defaults, and it still doesn't work. I have a vid of it on my phone to prove that I'm actually playing. But I know that this kind of thing can be faked by a competent video production company like ILM, so...

Anyway, now what? Do I have to reformat all presets somehow like I did on this one? Then try reloading my backup presets through Fractal Bot? And if so, what's preventing the same corrupted code from being put right back in from the backup presets?

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Good thought about the variac, but nope. It's at the default of 100%.

Bahrecords' experiment worked: I got a blank preset and loaded it and voila! Everything worked as I would have expected. Several db of gain reduction, and the amount varied as I changed the sag supply parameter, tube bias, MV, etc. More importantly, I can hear it!

Go to one of my existing presets with the same amp in it (Plexi 100W 1970) and see if it works there, and it doesn't. Hit the bypass button twice to restore defaults, and it still doesn't work. I have a vid of it on my phone to prove that I'm actually playing. But I know that this kind of thing can be faked by a competent video production company like ILM, so...

Anyway, now what? Do I have to reformat all presets somehow like I did on this one? Then try reloading my backup presets through Fractal Bot? And if so, what's preventing the same corrupted code from being put right back in from the backup presets?

Thanks for the helpful tips!

Post that Plexi preset. There's definitely something weird going on.

Post that Plexi preset. There's definitely something weird going on.
Here you go.

I have a gig this weekend. If sag is the only thing affected, I don't really care. But I'd like to get this fixed before tomorrow night if at all possible, level my presets, etc.

Attachments

• Plex.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 5
There seems to be something wrong with the preset (corrupt in some way).
Resetting AMP 1 doesn't fix it.

Remove the AMP 1 block completely.
Then add it again, and select the '70 Plexi again.
The Sag-o-meter will now be much more noticeable.

There seems to be something wrong with the preset (corrupt in some way).
Resetting AMP 1 doesn't fix it.

Remove the AMP 1 block completely.
Then add it again, and select the '70 Plexi again.
The Sag-o-meter will now be much more noticeable.

Thank you, Yek. This seems to be an issue with many of my presets, or perhaps all of them...but some may not show it as much because they don't sag for REAL reasons.

So, as I asked before, is there a way that I can do this across the bank or all banks then reload the presets from backups? Or is reloading them just going also reload the corrupt code? I have already done a "restore system" and I have tried reinstalling the firmware. If I have to manually delete every amp block and start totally from scratch across all my presets, that's going to be a real pain. I often have tinkered with advanced parameters like different tone stacks, where the low cut on the power amp is, etc.

Okay I figured this out. Your preset is fine. The problem is the meter is actually showing the sag of the other amp block. There's a bug where the GUI is confused because there are two amp blocks.

EDIT: the problem is in the slave DSP. Due to a boneheaded programming error the second amp block's B+ data is clobbering the first block's. This has no effect on the actual sound, it just affects the metering.

Last edited:
Okay I figured this out. Your preset is fine. The problem is the meter is actually showing the sag of the other amp block. There's a bug where the GUI is confused because there are two amp blocks.

EDIT: the problem is in the slave DSP. Due to a boneheaded programming error the second amp block's B+ data is clobbering the first block's. This has no effect on the actual sound, it just affects the metering.

ahhh… so this is not about tits afterall

EDIT: the problem is in the slave DSP. Due to a boneheaded programming error the second amp block's B+ data is clobbering the first block's.

That's it, I've had it.........Tell that 'bonehead' he is suspended for the entire weekend without pay!;)

After first releasing firmware Q 2.01.....of coarse.

Back
Top Bottom