Power amp recommendations

Mooncaster

first time poster. I started on tube amps, mostly Mesa boogies. Then I tried the powered kemper and loved the tones and easy load ins and outs from gigging. So I finally sold my last tube amp and got my axe iii. I bought a 6u rack case and wanted to get a power amp so I could still play out of cabs and at small gigs. But I’m kinda getting overwhelmed. I think I want to stay solid state, even though I’m very tempted to get a Mesa 290.but I want to keep the weight down and not have to replace tubes etc.

So what are the favorites right now? I’ve looked at the matrix, the power stage 700, quilter, am I forgetting any? What is the cleanest and best sounding poweramp?

Thanks

I hear very good things about the Matrix GT1000FX. Though I unfortunately can't provide much of anything in regards to first hand experience as I'm also on the same search as you and looking for a power amp some time in the near future.

first time poster. I started on tube amps, mostly Mesa boogies. Then I tried the powered kemper and loved the tones and easy load ins and outs from gigging. So I finally sold my last tube amp and got my axe iii. I bought a 6u rack case and wanted to get a power amp so I could still play out of cabs and at small gigs. But I’m kinda getting overwhelmed. I think I want to stay solid state, even though I’m very tempted to get a Mesa 290.but I want to keep the weight down and not have to replace tubes etc.

So what are the favorites right now? I’ve looked at the matrix, the power stage 700, quilter, am I forgetting any? What is the cleanest and best sounding poweramp?

Thanks
I use to use the Mesa 2:90. IMO if you want solid state and like the Mesa 2:90 sound then get the Matrix GT1600FX. It's got more power than the above mentioned and truly was almost the same sound as my Mesa. But it allowed the amp modeling to be reflected better. Meaning the amp models all sounded different and not very similar like the Mesa made them

I use to use the Mesa 2:90. IMO if you want solid state and like the Mesa 2:90 sound then get the Matrix GT1600FX. It's got more power than the above mentioned and truly was almost the same sound as my Mesa. But it allowed the amp modeling to be reflected better. Meaning the amp models all sounded different and not very similar like the Mesa made them

I can second this. I used my Mark V as a power amp until I got the Matrix GT1600FX. The matrix holds its own over the power section of the Mesa with the added flexibility of using the power amp sims of the Axe FX.

Solid state amps should not be breaking up! ;)
Makes sense. I'm only basing what I said from having a crown amp (250w) that sounded good at low volume but harsh when trying to match my Mark V's volume. The matrix sounds good at any volume. That's what I thought the headroom was.

Seymour Duncan - PowerStage - 170 or 700. I have both, they sound great with either FRFR or real cabinet.

Q1

So what does the higher power rating translate to?
I have had the 800, 1000 and the 1600. The 1600 just had more oomph. I ran it wide open and then adjusted the Axe Fx II volume to taste. Can't go wrong with any of them, but the 1600 just sounded better to my ears.

Back
Top Bottom