Power Amp recommendation please

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
OK - background.

I first used a ART SLA-2 with an AFX standard, but quickly switched to a VHT 2:50:2 as the art just wasnt doing it.

I then got hold of a Matrix - the 2nd person to have one for guitar, and before it was called the "GT....x" as some will remember I was involved - in a small way - of developing it for the modelling (and specifically AFX) market. I used that for years.

Then I had the opportunity for a days critical listening - with about 20 others - to some world class amps. It was noticeable that while the AFX/Matrix was on par with many of them -= once you got into truly boutique/top end stuff there was something missing. This led me back to a valve solution in the Fryette Power Station (Mk 1) - which is what I still use.

HOWEVER, having moved to the AFX3 now - Im using FRFR much more. At home my wife works nights so its often headphones (Senny HD650s) or lower levels at least (Neumann KH120s). Live I play keys now rather than guitar with the odd exception, and that exception everything goes through the desk (main guitarist also uses an AFX2). I want to keep the amp/cab for some things, and purely pleasure when I CAN turn up BUT I feel I need a SS solution to power the cab so Im not tweeking the power section of the amp block when I change.

I DONT want top go back to Matrix. Firstly I dont NEED stereo, mono is fine. secondly there no rack space (as the AFX3 takes up the 1U I used to use with the AFX2) and I dont have the height clearance at home for a taller rack.

So..... My feelings having look around are the Orange Pedal Baby, or the Seymore Duncan Power Stage. The clips Ive seen the Orange comes across slightly better - but you really cant judge from youtube, and many say that the PS is better with top end modellers while the orange suits pedals and pedal based pre amps (its in the title).
The orange is the same form factor as the Fryette - so no problem with that. The SD is smaller and I could probably mount it in the rear of my rack (as its a full wooded flight). the orange is half the price of the PS though.

Ultimately though - I dont want to compromise. If the SD is the better option - Ill pay the extra. If neither com e close to the Fryette Ill stick with what I have. If there another non rack based option then Im completely open to suggestions.

So - which way to go?

Matrix and SD-170 both sound fine, both are loud, and both are used by pros. I don't care for the added functionality on the newer PowerStage 200. I think that Cliff has stated in the past that he prefers Matrix.

Matrix and SD-170 both sound fine, both are loud, and both are used by pros. I don't care for the added functionality on the newer PowerStage 200. I think that Cliff has stated in the past that he prefers Matrix.
Re 170 v 200. I think I agree. Why would you need a cab sim with the AFX, why would you need a headphone out, and adding a prescience over the 3 band already... makes no real difference.

I think -= from reading specs (may be wrong) there is no difference in power anyway into an 8 Ohm cab? the 170 seems to give any impedance the same, while the 200 does, so at 8Ohms there pretty identical.

The thing about the Power Baby, is its class A/B like the Matrix v Class D in the Seymore. I know it really shouldnt make that much difference - but I always think Class A/B amps sound that little bit sweater.

It sounds like you're in the position to try them both and send back the one you like less?

I sold the fryette.

There not much in it - the Fryette is perhaps a little more lively, a little more dynamic BUT you need to have PA sims off. The Power Stage is very close, and you can leave the PA modelling on. If you send a feed to desk and want an amp/cab backline, then the Power Stage makes more sense.

the Matrix is also close, probably sits between the two - BUT its a 1U rack so the SD is a nicer form factor (just vencro's it in to the back of the rack) and its lighter as well. Only mono of course but thats not a problem for me.

The ART SLA 2/ VHT 2:50:2...oh man does that ever bring me back to the early days of the forum when i first got my Ultra!!! I started off using poweramp/cabs and remember all the threads on these poweramps!!! nostalgia. I went through an ART SLA 2 and a mesa 2:90 simul class and was going to get a VHT then got the ATomic 50:50 . That was my last before going FRFR. good times

Actually is PS sounds better to my ears with PA modeling on. And it is totally fine to do this because of how flat the response is. But you may need to lower high end in the speaker impedance page.

Oh it does, and that's how i used it through necessity... but its better with pa modelling off.

It's not the freq neutrality, the fryette is flat enough for that, its the dynamic interaction between ps and speaker. That's not part of the cab block unfortunately its in the amp block.

The thing is once you leave the pa on, it just takes that littke bit away from the fryette...at which point the difference between thst and the Duncan is negligible, and arguable the sd is slightly more natural at that point.

As for the "good old days" lol... me too.

Started with sla2, then change 2:50:2. Then matrix (the original gt800 before it was called the gt800.. then the 800fx, then the 1000fx) then the fryette. Now the Duncan.

If I ever move into a larger space , I'd actually love to integrate a PA/cab again and run a W/D/W setup with my FRFR Atomic CLR's. I quite miss the feel and sound of real cabinets moving air

Matrix GT1000fx or the GT1600fx (I have the latter).
Put it in a nice rack with the Axe FX and that on top of a cabinet (or 2) for some sweet (stereo and dual amp) tones.

I use mine in a really heavy melodic hardcore band and sounds incredible live.
Especially since Cygnus the amount of chug is unreal. Easily keeps up with a ENGL Savage 120.

Matrix GT1000fx or the GT1600fx (I have the latter).
Put it in a nice rack with the Axe FX and that on top of a cabinet (or 2) for some sweet (stereo and dual amp) tones.

I use mine in a really heavy melodic hardcore band and sounds incredible live.
Especially since Cygnus the amount of chug is unreal. Easily keeps up with a ENGL Savage 120.
yeh - was involved in the original GT800fx evolution, actually had the 2nd ever XT800 (which was the power amp that the GT800fx is derived from) and provided a lot of feedback to matrix to develop the GT. if I had a 1U rack space, or needed stereo I would still have gone that route, but my 4U rack is full and I dont want a bigger one. The Fryette just sat on top, and the Semour is velcro'd into the back of the rack. They work well enough with cygnus actually.

yeh - was involved in the original GT800fx evolution, actually had the 2nd ever XT800 (which was the power amp that the GT800fx is derived from) and provided a lot of feedback to matrix to develop the GT. if I had a 1U rack space, or needed stereo I would still have gone that route, but my 4U rack is full and I dont want a bigger one. The Fryette just sat on top, and the Semour is velcro'd into the back of the rack. They work well enough with cygnus actually.
Exactly where I am... trying to stick to a 4u rack and a cab. :)

Back
Top Bottom