Power amp questions

Fenris

Inspired
Hi guys! I just buy a Matrix GT1000FX. I didn't test it yet with a 4x12 cabin, but I will do it soon.

The point is that cabins have their max load (100 ~ 240W) and their own impedance (4~16)... In the matrix you can't select the amount of power or the impedance, so I'm afraid if I can burn the cabin or something.

What would you recomend me to have not problems with the axe -> matrix -> cabin? what specifications? It's better if the cabin is 16 ohm, isn't it?

and another question. If you will only use 1 cabin, can you use the matrix in normal mono (not bridged) and connect only 1 cabin? Because if I have to use the bridged mode, it will give so much power for ANY cabin...

I read a lot of topics but I don't understand this... and I don't want to fuck up any cabin

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks fenderbender. Call me stupid, but I don't understand the answer xD Maybe I understand that the Watts that are wrote in the manual are not the real Watts?

Fuck I need another example...

GT 1000FX 2U
Number of Channels: 2
Watts Per Channel at - 16 Ω: 150
Watts Per Channel at - 8 Ω: 300
Watts Per Channel at - 4 Ω: 500
Watts Bridged (A and B) - 16 Ω: 650
Watts Bridged (A and B) - 8 Ω: 1000

Another Example...

You can run it in the 4 or 16 Ohm load ether single sided or bridged and not do any damage as long as you don't turn the master(s) all the way up depending on what way your running it. Your cab rating is a thermal reference in which the speakers as a whole can dissipate 240 watts worth of heat and not melt the coils. With a solid state amp you need roughly 3-5 times the wattage to equal the headroom of a Valve amp at a gig volume.

Understand that you will never use all that wattage to get a giging volume as you would go deaf. The main reason for this is to keep the amp from clipping at volume and more so with a clean tone as the dynamic transients are much greater then distorted ones.

Yes you can run it in mono with nothing else connected, and you dont need to select impedance - SS amps dont need that as they auto adjust.

IF you run your cab at 16 Ohms - the Matrix will put out 150 watts into that cab. A typical 4x12 takes 240w, so the amp is underpowered for the speakers. In bridged mode you would get 650 watts.
If you run your cab at 4 Ohms - The Matrix will put out 500 watts into the cab.

If your cab is 240 w (4 x V30s for example) then running in 4 Ohms is perfect. You need headroom as has been said, but Celestions in particular are very conservatively rated - fi you have those you could probably run theMatrix up full with no issues - but you'd be deaf.

Dont worry. Make you cab 4 Ohms - and plug in the Matrix.

While we're on topic how many watts does a Matrix CFR take? Would a GT800FX running stereo (one channel) be too much power for a CFR?

Yes you can run it in mono with nothing else connected, and you dont need to select impedance - SS amps dont need that as they auto adjust.

IF you run your cab at 16 Ohms - the Matrix will put out 150 watts into that cab. A typical 4x12 takes 240w, so the amp is underpowered for the speakers. In bridged mode you would get 650 watts.
If you run your cab at 4 Ohms - The Matrix will put out 500 watts into the cab.

If your cab is 240 w (4 x V30s for example) then running in 4 Ohms is perfect. You need headroom as has been said, but Celestions in particular are very conservatively rated - fi you have those you could probably run theMatrix up full with no issues - but you'd be deaf.

Dont worry. Make you cab 4 Ohms - and plug in the Matrix.

Thanks! I think that I can't plug it in normal mono only conecting 1 output.

Yep! I don't wanna be deaf haha Many thanks to all! I think I understood!

While we're on topic how many watts does a Matrix CFR take? Would a GT800FX running stereo (one channel) be too much power for a CFR?

It takes 260 Watts.

So the GT800FX is not too much power....
Actually, it's better to have an amp which has some more power (like the GT1000FX) then you have some headroom and you don't need to crank the poweramp to "11" (if you need to play loud that is)

I have that setup and I love it!

It takes 260 Watts.

So the GT800FX is not too much power....
Actually, it's better to have an amp which has some more power (like the GT1000FX) then you have some headroom and you don't need to crank the poweramp to "11" (if you need to play loud that is)

I have that setup and I love it!
Thanks, yes I checked out the specs. GT800FX puts out 250w per side @8ohms. CFR12 takes 260w per side @8ohms.

Well guys! At last I got my GT1000FX and ITS AWESOME!!!! It gives a more real amp sound with a 4x12 cab. I tested it with a Marshall with celestion G12T 75W and it were very very very good!!

At the first it sounded very flat, but that was because my settings was for full range. I just reset the amp settings and... voilá! haha I don't understand why people say that the axe is "artificial" or that stuff... It sounded round and perfect for me!

:encouragement:

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom