Power amp modeling on/off + exp pedals issue

Alarto

Inspired
I quess this is not a general bug but there is something wrong with my AFX or???

View attachment Cornford MK50 II.syx

1. Problem: the first setting you hear is Global / Power Amp Modeling "ON" and then "OFF". I think they should be other way round or am I just deaf and green :mrgreen
- preset I use is attached
- CAB is user cab 16 "ThisOne"

2. Problem: whenever I turn my AFX power on, expression pedals connected to my MFC don't work (send midi) before I change to another preset (and back).

Both AFX and MFC are running the latest FW. Pedals are Roland EV-5s.

Recording route is Out 1 stereo => Apogee duet XLR lines in (good signal) => Logic.

Factory Presets edit: I downloaded B bank again to give a try for factory presets as I didn't like most of them at all. Some factory presets seems to sound correct with power amp modeling "off" (e.g. 270) and some "on" (e.g. 280). The sound "effect" is similar to my recording but on/off result varies by preset. This is really strange!!!

Edit: I still don't know if there is something wrong in my AFX. I installed the latest FW again and gave it a system reset, still the same thing. If this is how it supposed to sound, well... What seems to help a bit is decreasing triode plate frequencies. Are those freqs really supposed to be somewhere around 20000 - 40000 Hz by default?

This post could be probably removed? I'd hope to get some feedback though. Pedals behavior is a valid bug, AFX's or MFC's I don't know.

Last edited:
Regarding the first problem, I'm not by my axe now and I think that different amps behave differently when the power amp is turned on/off. I'll probably have to check with your exact preset to be able to make a statement if something is right or wrong.

Problem 2 was fixed recently. Are you positive you are running the latest firmware in both?

curious as to why you have Row 1 and 3 volume at -20dB in the final Layout Page (Output section)?

i think it sounds the way it does simply due to the basic amp settings. you have the master very low, and drive, bass, mid and treble are all just about 1:00 - not too many amps sound good like that.

i got instantly better tone with the mids cut a bit and master cranked (level down a lot to compensate for volume).

also, we can't use User Cab 16 because we don't have it - the preset attached doesn't include your user cab.

not sure why the power amp on vs off sounds like it does, but i always leave mine on so i wouldn't worry about what it sounds like off. just leave it on and make it sound good.

i wonder if a real version of this amp would sound good at the basic settings you had.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting! I was so sure I updated my MFC but it showed 2.15. Updated it and it fixed the problem!

Rows 1 & 3 in my template are -20db because if I feel I need to add something e.g. MBC or ENH usually to row 3 (direct without delay/reverb) I just turn its volume up to mix it.

I think I'm totally lost with this amp's settings so I will start all over again... So, master cranked it'll be! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom