Power amp ideas

DalGuit

so I had my Axe FX XL2+ for about a month and I love it. I am thinking about getting a versatile power amp for a future FRFR set up. BUT... for now I want to use my Mesa 2/12 cabinet that I used wth a Mesa Line Star 50/100 watt head. Any ideas on power amps that work well with FRFR and guitar cabs?

Last edited:
Any poweramp you want, really. You could go with solid state or tube. The only real difference will be whether or not you want to think about turning off power amp sims in the Axe, and when you want to disable cabinet emulation.

It is a
Any poweramp you want, really. You could go with solid state or tube. The only real difference will be whether or not you want to think about turning off power amp sims in the Axe, and when you want to disable cabinet emulation.

It is a 2/12 cab with one 8 ohms input, combined 180 watt capacity. Any suggestions?

With my Axe FX, I ran my Mesa 2x12 cab with a Matrix GT1000FX and it was great. Personally, Id either do that again or try a tube power amp like the Mesa Stereo 2:50. I also hear some good things about Fryette Power Station. A newer one generating some buzz is the Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170. I think that one can fit on a pedalboard.

If you are looking for something that will work well with a traditional cab now and later work well with FRFR then that points strongly to a good clean SS power amp. I guess my recommendation there would be: Matrix, Carvin DCM series, ART SLA series, in that order.

If you are looking for something that will work well with a traditional cab now and later work well with FRFR then that points strongly to a good clean SS power amp. I guess my recommendation there would be: Matrix, Carvin DCM series, ART SLA series, in that order.
If you consider the ART SLA stuff, just be wary of the specs.

I used an SLA-2 before I got a Matrix. It only has banana plug speaker connectors, it is 1U but VERY deep (deeper than the Axe Fx) and it is VERY heavy for a 1U box.

Sounded great, though...

Yes... this being the dilemma...do you know where I can read about options/solutions to this said hear predicament ? And does anybody disable cab/power amp sims for one output for say a Matrix 1000>212 cab , and keep the cab/power amp simulations for another output for FOH?

Yes... this being the dilemma...do you know where I can read about options/solutions to this said hear predicament ? And does anybody disable cab/power amp sims for one output for say a Matrix 1000>212 cab , and keep the cab/power amp simulations for another output for FOH?
That is not possible. Cab and power amp modeling are global options.

What can be done, however, for the Cab block is to insert an FXLoop before the Cab.

Send Output 1 to FOH (or any FRFR) and Output 2 to a power amp+guitar cab.

Well, you can scroll through all the debates about whether solid state + FRFR or tube + real cab is better, but unfortunately you won't find a definitive answer; it's too subjective.

Some things to consider: Are you used to playing through a real amp/cab? Do you have a real cab? Do you have an FRFR solution already? Is weight reduction a concern? All these may factor into how you want to proceed.

Personally (stressing that part), if I was still running the Axe FX (or an AX8) I'd get a Mesa tube power amp and run it with my real cab(s). That would be fine for the way I use my gear. I wouldn't mind the additional weight since I don't gig. I wouldn't mind losing the ability to model different amps' power sections. I don't record (which the Axe FX excels at), and I prefer having some tubes and a cab "in the room" (that phrase is annoying these days but it is what it is).

At least that's how I feel today. It could change in a day or a week or a year. :)

Seymour Duncan Power Stage. And yes, the 170 W version is enough for your setup :)
I had the ART SLA-2, the Matrix GT800FX and the active Flexsys FM12 and now my journey ended.
The extra bass/mid/trb knobs make this little thing extremely versatile.
I use the same presets for my 4x12 and my passive FRFR wedge. The only thing I have to do is to deactivate the cab sim on output 2 when I use it with the 4x12. I tweak bass and treble and I'm ready to roll.

Back
Top Bottom