Power Amp Head for Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 CAB

Keith mcdermott

I am using an AX8 and playing stuff like Periphery.... I want to change my EVH 5150 for a solid state amp and keep my Mesa 2x12 Cab - any recommendation for less than $500 or so thx

I picked up a used matrix gt1000 for around 600$ on reverb. You might find one cheaper than that, and maybe the 2u is a little less? Not sure. Great amp though, I sold my engl e840/50 and relaxed it with the matrix and haven't looked back.

If you need cheaper, rocktron velocity is a typically solid line of amps, although I don't think they are as neutral as the matrix? I used an old velocity 120 for a long time but that was before I got into axefx.

If talking solid-state only, I think you only have matrix and seymor duncan powerstage which are at least trying to sound like tube amps.

I have the Duncan PS170. Sounds great, small and light enough to fit in a gig bag. And under your budget.

I think the best is the Fryette PS2. Yes it’s tube but small and lightweight. I’ve had Matrix power amps on 2 different occasions and sold them because they just fell short of the Fryette. While the Matrix is good it just seemed more flat and lifeless compared to the Fryette.

If talking solid-state only, I think you only have matrix and seymor duncan powerstage which are at least trying to sound like tube amps.
There is no purpose to "sound like a tube amp" with the Axe Fx...

That is part of the modeling, so you ultimately want the power amp to sound like nothing: flat and loud. :)

I had the Fryette PS1 for a long time. It was awesome with my NMV amps, I used it attenuate my 62 Super and Komet, and boost my Swart. I sold those amps, really miss the Super. Just sold my Helix too.

Yes, I could hear a difference with my Helix compared to the Duncan alone in my studio, but not huge. Once the bass and drummer kick in, not noticeable, same with my master volume amps. So I sold it. The power stage is so small and light, and great with the Helix and now my Axe3. Sold the PS before I got the Axe3, so never got to try it with the Axe.

I will say that my Carol Ann patch into the duncan ps into my cab sounds just like my OD3. The CA is my main gigging amp, and my bandmates noticed when I tried to use a different amp or the Helix. And they all agree the Axe sounds just as good.

thanks for the suggestions... In the meantime i have tried bypassing my mixer and just using the EV ELX112P powered speaker.. played this next to my 5150 with the Mesa Rect Cabinet. wow not bad !!!!

Have you tried bypassing poweramp and cab Sims and running into the FX return of the 5150? I'm assuming that's what you had been doing previously but just realized you hadn't mentioned it.

I also use the duncan 170 and I use it with a mesa 2x12. Speaker low res at 115 and ooomph!! sounds great.
I've been having issues with getting swallowed up by my rhythm guitarist during rehearsals as he uses an Egnator
open back 1X12 combo that throws sound all over the place and it just squashes my rig.
I switched back to my JVM last rehearsal and it was much better, but I refuse to lug all that crap around
(I use the axe in 4CM when I use my JVM) so I actually drag more crap around when I use that set up.
the Mesa cab is very directional which is causing some issues but it sounds really good so I don't want to give up on it quite yet. I need to figure out how to get thicker mids without getting boxy. the New Ares update definitely sounds better, going to give it another shot next rehearsal.

Back
Top Bottom