Power amp for the floor?!

+1 on the 101 Mini. I have one (along with a Micropro Mach 2 8" combo). The mini would be perfect for your needs.

Thanks - so to my previous question, if you input through the effects return, you can still control over volume with the master volume - correct?

Now that we have the ax8 coming out, but no pedal for the unit, we will have to add one or two pedals... I anticipate buying 2, one for a volume / expression use, and one for a wah( spring loaded)..

So all that will need to be on a board.... I don't like the idea of carrying a rack just for a power amp....

What power amps are out there that would be a good match for the ax8? And that will fit on the floor/ board to keep everything floor based?

I know of the 44 magnum, or 22 caliber pedal power amps. Would any of the quilter power amps work?

What else is out there?
I use (2) xitone active wedges (stereo); each has a 12" speaker and a matrix GM50 built in. Nice way to go and if you want to go light, you can use just one. Mic the owner of xitone is a pleasure to deal with.

What's wrong with putting the power amp on top of the cab, like you would do with good old-fashioned amp heads?

So I'm trying to decide between the ISP Stealth and the Quilter 101 mini head. The key factor for me is which is physically smaller AND weighs less, if you INCLUDE the power cord. Does anyone know?

The ISP Stealth (1.2lbs) + power brick comes in just over 2lbs, and the 101 Mini clocks in at 2.5lbs. So, they weigh almost the exactly the same. The Mini 101 is a little larger, but that's not accounting for the laptop brick that the Stealth comes with. IOW, the Stealth might actually take up more room when mounted.

Sound wise... hands down, I'd put money on the Quilter 101 Mini if you don't need stereo. Otherwise, I'd begrudgingly buy the Stealth. ;)

Personally instead of the Quilter mini I'd go with the Quilter Tone Block and skip all the unnecessary tone controls and be assured of having enough power to drive even inefficient speaker cabs with plenty of clean headroom. I have one that I use with other "preamps" (such as the Fly Rig 5) and it works great.

Hey, that new Quilter Mini 101 looks perfect!

Personally instead of the Quilter mini I'd go with the Quilter Tone Block and skip all the unnecessary tone controls and be assured of having enough power to drive even inefficient speaker cabs with plenty of clean headroom. I have one that I use with other "preamps" (such as the Fly Rig 5) and it works great.

Disagree, I have a Quilter Tone Block and while it's a pretty nice guitar amp there is no FX loop, and I couldn't get it to sound great with the Axe-Fx at all. On the other hand, it has GOBS of power, WAY more than I would ever need.. must be a conservative 200 watts.

If the mini 101 has 50 'Quilter' watts of output it's probably ideal, at least to drive a single cab.

EDIT: Check here for my old mini review on the TB200:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/quilter-toneblock-200.86033/#post-1053275

50 watts is fine for my use. Perfect actually as my cabinet speakers maxes out at 50 watt power handling

While I agree on the Tone Block being amazing and really bringing the power to the party, there's no way to bypass the tone shaping going on in the TB. With the 50W 101 Mini Head, you can plug into the return of the fx loop and bypass all the tone shaping.

While I agree on the Tone Block being amazing and really bringing the power to the party, there's no way to bypass the tone shaping going on in the TB. With the 50W 101 Mini Head, you can plug into the return of the fx loop and bypass all the tone shaping.

I've had my Toneblock up for sale for a few weeks, no bites.. I'm sure it's partly because anyone in the market would now be looking to buy their brand new PRO Block 200, or the Mini 101 instead. Both have FX loops and both probably make great pedalboard poweramps.

This has me thinking.. would it be possible to MOD my TB200 to add a loop return? Or alternately.. internally bypass the preamp so that input jack hardwires line-level directly to power amp?

I have a soldering iron and reckless disregard for my personal safety. Half the battle, right?

JAN16_LNU_Quilter_TonePro200_WEB.jpg

I have an Ethos 30 watt power amp that I currently use for amplifying my pedals and modelers - one of my favorite amps ever. I run it into a small PA cab with a 60 watt PA speaker. One of the best tones I have ever had.

I am curious to hear how it will sound with the AX8.

They are only $195 new, and come in two sizes, one the size of a single effects pedal, one twice that.

Last edited:
I gutted a cheap Kustom 10" passive wedge and added a Dayton Audio plate amp.

My goal was to make it look like a wedge from the audience perspective. It worked out great and is easy to transport.

Don't use it anymore but was a cool project.

I have an Ethos 30 watt power amp that I currently use for amplifying my pedals and modelers - one of my favorite amps ever. I run it into a small PA cab with a 60 watt PA speaker. One of the best tones I have ever had.

I am curious to hear how it will sound with the AX8.

They are only $195 new, and come in two sizes, one the size of a single effects pedal, one twice that.

From the photos on the site, it doesn't like like the Ethos 30 watt mini has a VOLUME knob. Is this on the back? Also, it looks like this is just sold by the manufacturer. Does this take long to ship?

From the photos on the site, it doesn't like like the Ethos 30 watt mini has a VOLUME knob. Is this on the back? Also, it looks like this is just sold by the manufacturer. Does this take long to ship?/QUOTE]

correct, no volume knob. You would control your volume with your AX8 output volume. Yes, it is only sold by CustomTones as it is his custom creation - not sure what his current wait time is if any. I had had a couple of these amps, and they are AWESOME!

I'm looking forward to seeing if I like how it works with an AX8 when I can get my hands on one.

Bumpin an old thread.. has anyone actually tried a Quilter mini 101 or Quilter PRO block with a Fractal product? Anything else new in the market?

Back
Top Bottom