Power amp for the floor?!

Now that we have the ax8 coming out, but no pedal for the unit, we will have to add one or two pedals... I anticipate buying 2, one for a volume / expression use, and one for a wah( spring loaded)..

So all that will need to be on a board.... I don't like the idea of carrying a rack just for a power amp....

What power amps are out there that would be a good match for the ax8? And that will fit on the floor/ board to keep everything floor based?

I know of the 44 magnum, or 22 caliber pedal power amps. Would any of the quilter power amps work?

What else is out there?

I built two detuned 2x12 cabs using the London power design ( slightly modified). I built them about 6 years ago and designed them for use with a modeling type application. They are passive...

I currently own a mosvalve 1160 2 space power amp. Just trying to reduce my footprint and use what I already own. If there is a better / more compact option I am interested in checking it out...

I built two detuned 2x12 cabs using the London power design ( slightly modified). I built them about 6 years ago and designed them for use with a modeling type application. They are passive...

I currently own a mosvalve 1160 2 space power amp. Just trying to reduce my footprint and use what I already own. If there is a better / more compact option I am interested in checking it out...

build the power amp into the cab?

When I built the two cabs, I had already tried multiple options....

Straight to the PA
Power amp into passive PA speakers
Into the front end of an amp
Into the power section of an amp
SS power amp into PA speakers
Crate powerblock

Etc etc....

I may have been a little ahead of the curve back when I initially started my quest but the best option sound wise I found was poweramp to guitar cab....

Now this may have changed since the last time I experimented with this since FRFR is becoming more accepted and commonplace and the programming of the units such as the kemper, axe, and now helix are being designed with this application in mind....

i'm looking for a small power amp as well. I like the matrix above but it's 5 pounds and 250 watts into 8 ohms. Don't need that much power or weight. Anything like that at less than 100 watts and less than 3 pounds? I tried the Magnum 44 but it colors the sound to much.

This is interesting... So what kind of power? Class D? Do they make them for this type of application? I like this idea.

Now for the next question.... What would be the best option?

Since you're obviously a DIY guy, I'd second the suggestion on the Matrix GM50 and integrate them into your cabinet(s). That would give you the advantage of not increasing the complexity of your system and not adding to the number of components you have to cart.

Second option would be the ISP Stealth, which is super light (at 1.2 lbs) by itself. With the laptop brick to power it, the weight more than.doubles. It's pretty good sounding but rather underpowered IMNSHO in a live application. For bedroom practicing and perhaps for rehearsals it's fine.

Third option is the new Quilter 101 Mini Head at 2 lbs. If the Tone Block is a guide the 50W Mini Head should be louder than the ISP Stealth. It WILL color the sound of you run it in the front, but Chris Parks verified to me directly that you can run into the effects return jack (just like a tube amp) and bypass all the tone shaping.

i'm looking for a small power amp as well. I like the matrix above but it's 5 pounds and 250 watts into 8 ohms. Don't need that much power or weight. Anything like that at less than 100 watts and less than 3 pounds? I tried the Magnum 44 but it colors the sound to much.

Quilter 101 Mini Head, 2lbs, 50W, and you can run into the effects return jack to bypass all the tone shaping.

wow that is a fancy rig to be banging around going to gigs! Must have took some time to build those. That is not music equipment it is show room furniture!

I am mostly a bedroom player... I play bass in a 80's metal cover band.... But a guitarist at heart.

I have gotten into building guitars and painting them lately...

Currently building a tele. I build 2 les Paul customs a year ago. And have painted about 3 or 4 guitars...

These were built some time ago, my first music related DIY.

Just trying to get the best out of whatever I make.

i guess i could add the matrix power section to this.... here is a photo of the cabs i built.....

Those are really nice man! Your obviously skilled at woodworking so If I were you I would be all over the Matrix GM 50's, rout one in each cab then load them with some full range coaxial speakers with the appropriate crossovers and be done. Plop the AX8 down in front of those bad boys and rock on.

Quilter 101 Mini Head, 2lbs, 50W, and you can run into the effects return jack to bypass all the tone shaping.

Dumb question (I should know this :) ), but if you run the signal through the effects return jack, does the Master volume still control the power amp volume? I assume so, but just checking..

Dumb question (I should know this :) ), but if you run the signal through the effects return jack, does the Master volume still control the power amp volume? I assume so, but just checking..

I think it's safe to assume that. It's a regular loop so it has to be sending constant (relatively) signal levels to your pedals in the loop. Therefore, the Master volume must come after the loop.

Back
Top Bottom