Wish Power Amp Distortion Block - not what you think

Chris Hurley

Power User
I know the ability to disable a preamp and leave the poweramp has been requested for years and its been said that its difficult to separate and/or would reveal tradecraft.

What about adding a few poweramp amp flavors to the distortion block or a poweramp block that could scratch that itch without disclosing the full fractal fantastic?

If someone has a recipe for making it from discrete components that already exist in the boxes, that would be fine too.

I've shot impulses of poweramps that I liked and found that got fairly far down the road of closing the gap left by using an external preamp alone.

That one is similar, I think. I'm not sure I understand it.
It's the same thing you're asking for: a power amp Sim in the Drive block.

No matter how you slice it, it's still separating the preamp and power amp sections into discrete parts so I don't think Cliff is going to do that... But I know people that would appreciate it.

It may be more profitable to try to figure out the best recipe to built it with the parts we already have in the box. I know you can shoot an IR of a poweramp and get its voicing. I wonder what the best options are to get some compression and soft distortion along the lines of what you'd have in a tube poweramp. Or maybe the right answer is an appropriate neutering of a particular amp model or two.

It may be more profitable to try to figure out the best recipe to built it with the parts we already have in the box. I know you can shoot an IR of a poweramp and get its voicing. I wonder what the best options are to get some compression and soft distortion along the lines of what you'd have in a tube poweramp. Or maybe the right answer is an appropriate neutering of a particular amp model or two.
The official answer used to "use the Tube Pre model set flat"...

However, a recent FW release changed the Tube Pre model to have supply say set to 0 to disable the power amp modeling.

You can always change it but I don't know what the value used to be...

Back
Top Bottom