Power Amp Choice

Thanks,

Seems like every where I look, whether it's a review, seller ad, etc. the Axe FX III is always paired with a Matrix, Koch, or Mesa.

Rarely do I see them paired with anything else...which is why I'm asking.

People like the guitar oriented products mostly because they are substantially lighter weight and are smaller than a typical PA power amplifier.

I have the Fryette Power station and others like the synergy (which I have heard is designed by Fryette). I tried out several popular solid state amps at least in the FM3 board like the Seymour Duncan and I just couldn't get the feel I wanted and the sound. I tried some of the FRFRs and while they were cool again I missed that X factor. I am sure its just up to the individual. I wish peavey still made the single space DPC 1400x. That was a monster of an amp but but the LEA I hear is close but now you are getting up into the tube prices again. I have tried several PA power amps and they weren't for me, so my only advice is just make sure to try one or order one from a place that has a good return policy. I went through several amps before I settled on the Fryette.

I have the Fryette Power station and others like the synergy (which I have heard is designed by Fryette). I tried out several popular solid state amps at least in the FM3 board like the Seymour Duncan and I just couldn't get the feel I wanted and the sound. I tried some of the FRFRs and while they were cool again I missed that X factor. I am sure its just up to the individual. I wish peavey still made the single space DPC 1400x. That was a monster of an amp but but the LEA I hear is close but now you are getting up into the tube prices again. I have tried several PA power amps and they weren't for me, so my only advice is just make sure to try one or order one from a place that has a good return policy. I went through several amps before I settled on the Fryette.

Hi, could you speak on which PS? PS100 or PS 2 or? I am considering the ps100. Thank You

I tried many different power amps from tube to digital to old hifi. They all worked.
Soundwise I might prefer anything with an extremly big power supply, they can punch, but in comparison to the speaker and the preset it's less important, so any light unit with enough power is okay.

Last edited:
BTW many celestion guitar speakers are around 100db at 1w. Most of the fullrange speakers are less efficient. With a Celestion F12-x200 you might notice that 100 watts there are like 25 watts on a Vintage 30. You then might want 100 watts or more to gig with it.

Hi, could you speak on which PS? PS100 or PS 2 or? I am considering the ps100. Thank You
I have the PS 2 because it was cheaper and I wanted the ability to have amp neutrality. What I mean by this is PS2 has presence and depth which do shape the sound, but there is a way to have those turned off so that you are only experiencing the amp. I also liked the idea that when recording or playing live, I could take someone's tiny 5watt or 15watt amp and attach it to this amp and have it louder but none of the tone changing. The PS 2 also goes down to 2 ohms. I didn't need 100 watts or dual 50 stereo but....there are times I miss the headroom. When playing live, more power is always better to me...not for volume reasons but for clean tone reasons. I like to be able to crank clean with zero break up for certain songs. None the less the 50 with an 8 ohm 1x12 cab (Mojotone Celestion creamback) has been great for small clubs and when paired with my Mesa 4x12 has all the push and muscle I need and still sounds great a low volumes.

So another question...I built 2 - 2x12 speaker cabs, Mesa sized, 1 loaded w/ v30's, the other Eminence Legend's.

I wired them for 16 ohm's but as I'm looking for power amps, most if not all only got to 8 ohm's.

I know I can use 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm's on the power amp, but the wattage goes down. (I think the Matrix has 16 ohm outputs)

Does the majority of Axe FX w/ power amp user's not use guitar speaker cabs?

Should I add an 8 ohm wiring outlet to both cabs? That way I have 2 - 1/4" input jacks...one for 8 ohm, the other 16 ohm when I use my Slo50 clone & JMP 100 clone.

dinky

So another question...I built 2 - 2x12 speaker cabs, Mesa sized, 1 loaded w/ v30's, the other Eminence Legend's.

I wired them for 16 ohm's but as I'm looking for power amps, most if not all only got to 8 ohm's.

I know I can use 16 ohm speakers with 8 ohm's on the power amp, but the wattage goes down. (I think the Matrix has 16 ohm outputs)

Does the majority of Axe FX w/ power amp user's not use guitar speaker cabs?

Should I add an 8 ohm wiring outlet to both cabs? That way I have 2 - 1/4" input jacks...one for 8 ohm, the other 16 ohm when I use my Slo50 clone & JMP 100 clone.

dinky
With a tube amp using 16 ohms cabs on a 8 ohms output isn't a recommended. It will not break at once but the tubes wear off much faster.
But when there is a 16 ohms output a tube amp has the same wattage as on 8 ohms.

Many solid state power amps allow for 4 ohms and there they have their max power rating So you could get such one and wire the two 8 ohm speakers in parallel to get the 4 ohms.

Most amps including the Fryette have switchable ohms. Every Mesa I have owned goes down to 4, same with modern Marshalls, etc. So the Fryette goes down to two ohms. Basically, an older Fender Twin is loaded for 4 ohms for maximum output, Mesa cabs start at 8 so two cabs is four, Marshalls cabs are at 16 but remember the 80s so 4 cabs is 4 ohms. So 16 is fine but if you want a little more volume if you are wiring cabs you can take the two 16 ohm speakers and wire them in parallel to get 8. I prefer 8 ohms over 16 for the extra effienciecy. You also have to consider efficiency matching when putting two different speakers in the same cab. I have experimented for years with x patterns in 4x12s and if you have an incredibly efficient speaker paired with a weaker speaker, it will be hard to hear the other (no big deal that is what close up mics are for.

The matrix in stereo mode goes down to 4 ohms where in bridge mono its 8. If you want to run two cabs, wire them in series for two 16 ohm cabs and then you will have 8 ohms if you run both in mono. Honestly, if you want to run the Matrix in mono I doubt you will ever need all that power unless you are on a stadium stage. Run the cabs via one of the stereo channels and you have 4 ohms or run four 8 ohm cabs one on each side for two channels of 4 ohms and that will be thunderous. 800 watts in bridge mono, even at solid state class D is a massive amount of power. https://celestion.com/blog/speaker-wiring-configurations/
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ferent-efficiency-speakers-pointless.1697307/

Last edited:
I have the PS 2 because it was cheaper and I wanted the ability to have amp neutrality. What I mean by this is PS2 has presence and depth which do shape the sound, but there is a way to have those turned off so that you are only experiencing the amp. I also liked the idea that when recording or playing live, I could take someone's tiny 5watt or 15watt amp and attach it to this amp and have it louder but none of the tone changing. The PS 2 also goes down to 2 ohms. I didn't need 100 watts or dual 50 stereo but....there are times I miss the headroom. When playing live, more power is always better to me...not for volume reasons but for clean tone reasons. I like to be able to crank clean with zero break up for certain songs. None the less the 50 with an 8 ohm 1x12 cab (Mojotone Celestion creamback) has been great for small clubs and when paired with my Mesa 4x12 has all the push and muscle I need and still sounds great a low volumes.
Thanks for the information, so the PS2 is a great choice for the iii. I was considering the ps100. Maybe more headroom? Thanks for the reply and detail. Very helpful!!!

Hi,

Would a Crown or QSC power amp work with the Axe FX III?

I know a lot use the Matrix GT, Koch, Mesa, etc., but they are so darn expensive.

dinky
There is YouTube video doing a/b to a matrix, a behringer and an effects return of a Mesa rec I believe, it's an axe effects 2 but it is decently represented and the tones are aggressive! Also thru a 4x12

Back
Top Bottom