Power Amp Advice, Please? - Updated, 4/21

Hi all!

I'm still learning to use the Axe FX the way it can be used in all the ways at home and out and have been trying different things to power it since I got it. I play through cabs, I haven't yet gotten used to a FRFR setup and may never desire that for my personal home sound anyway. I've played it through a Boss Waza Tube Expander, multiple random tube amps, as well as straight to a Headrush 112. To me, it sounds best through an FX loop but I didn't dislike it in any way through the Waza, still sounds great.

I also realized recently that I don't have a smallish amp to go to random jams with. I thought about grabbing a Powerstage 700 and sticking it in a rack together with the Axe, which could be small, fairly light and easy to move around. I also considered the PRS MT15 lunchbox amp. I love the Waza TAE but it's pretty large to use as a SS amp (the PS700 is 6lbs versus the 15 and a bit smaller in size) and does a lot of stuff that might not be necessary for my mobile purpose. It's no more heavy than a PRS MT15, true, but that is also a standalone, versatile amp and has 2 6l6's.

I'd love some opinions if some of you would be so kind. The Powerstage 700 (I do like stereo capability) and MT15 are similar in price, used and new alike. Anyone used a MT15 as their poweramp and was it loud enough for a loud metal band?

Going to grab one tonight and can't decide!

Thanks! Sorry again for another PA question. :p

Matrix gt1000fx...either 1u or 2u. both are same, 2 unit one has a quieter fan. solid state, incredibly light weight, 2 channels so full fills your stereo wish. doesnt color the sound and lets axe fx do the whole job beside powering the speakers.

and it’s loud...loud enough for any situation. you dont need to worry about impedance, you can even run 2 different speakers with different ohmage. And it works both with FRFR or traditional cab.

note: the guru here! (wont mention him but i think its clear, i dont wanna be talking on his behalf) but i remember him criticizing the power stage...he uses also matrix gt1000fx, if it didnt change.

Hi,

I would definitely look into a dedicated power amp, (preferably one as neutral as possible) instead of going through the effects loop of an amp. This is of course assuming that you want all your tone to come from your Axe FX and not in this case, a MT15. I would suggest Matrix Amplification, specifically their GT800FX and their GT1000FX. The former being around the same price as the Powerstage 700 and the later being a little bit more. Either model, a lot of users here rely on their Matrix power amps when using real cabs. I know a few people do use the Powerstage series with success, so hopefully some will chime in to your post. I really like my GT1000FX, it does what I need it to do and nothing more.
If you are looking to use a tube amp not just as a power amp, then just know that they will color the sound of the Axe FX which may or may not be to your liking. For example, if you were to put your Axe through a Mesa Boogie amp's effects loop, then everything would have that Mesa flavor to it. Which may be advantageous if you are using a Mesa amp sim, not so much if you are using a Marshall sim. But that is personally taste. It may certainly be worth exploring that avenue.
If you want to go to random jams, I would look at how much is the difference between bringing your Axe FX rig versus just a small amp. They presumably will be similar. With the Axe Fx, you'd have your guitar, rack, and potentially a pedalboard (unless you want to travel REALLY light.) With a tube amp rig, it would essentially be the same, just instead of the rack, it would be the amp. So, basically, any which way you go is fine really. I would personally go with the dedicated power amp instead of a head. But who doesn't like lunchbox amps right?

I recently bought a Seymour Duncan Powerstage 170 and left my band mates absolutely stunned at how loud it can actually push air!

Way, way louder than my 50w Fryette Powerstation and some.....Seriously impressive!!!

Packs an enormous punch through my 200w EV12L.

Best flight ready amp I have ever tried.

You can literally put it in your coat pocket and bring it on the plane as hand luggage.

SD Powerstage is a fine amp aside from three things IMO. Its a space and a half tall in a rack. The power button is on the back. The input connections are on the front. Matrix GT 800 or 1000 are much better suited to a compact rack setup. The only plus of the SD amp is it has EQ settings and maybe price and availability. I own both and if I were to sell one it would be the SD.

Each to their own Tom I guess,

I also own a Matrix GT800 and whilst I agree with some of your valid points, Admittedly as the OP has requested, the Powerstage is more designed to be pedal board mounted rather than racked.

I don't think the inputs are on the front (from memory) although I will check that.

was merely offering a slightly different angle at a much cheaper price point.

SD Powerstage is a fine amp aside from three things IMO. Its a space and a half tall in a rack. The power button is on the back. The input connections are on the front. Matrix GT 800 or 1000 are much better suited to a compact rack setup. The only plus of the SD amp is it has EQ settings and maybe price and availability. I own both and if I were to sell one it would be the SD.

They also have 3 sizes based on user needs.

Sounds like if you rack it with the inputs at the rear, all your complaints are moot.

I'm using both GT1000Fx and SD 170. If you want a stereo SS amp small enough into gigbag and loud enough for a loud metal band,
to go to random jams with, then Harley Benton Thunder 99 is right there. Really cheap but powerful to drive two 212's. No regrets!

They also have 3 sizes based on user needs.

Sounds like if you rack it with the inputs at the rear, all your complaints are moot.
No because then the controls are on the back. Why you would make the stereo one not fit in a rack case properly with connections and switch in the right places is silly but It sounds good . Best power amp is easy though the Fryette LXII nothing is close.

No because then the controls are on the back. Why you would make the stereo one not fit in a rack case properly with connections and switch in the right places is silly. It is good though . Best power amp is easy though the Fryette LXII nothing is close.

Seems like an email worth sending to SD. As for "best" when talking about a subjective topic, well, there isnt lol.

Personally I'll be crossing the power amp bridge when and if I need to.

When the difference is a big as it is in feel and perceived 3d best is easy to say. Obviously you haven't tried it next to all the usual suspects.

When the difference is a big as it is in feel and perceived 3d best is easy to say. Obviously you haven't tried it next to all the usual suspects.

1. I havent.

2. Best is still subjective, regardless how we feel about it. That's the nature of music and the equipment to make, record and listen to it.

Maybe if they are similar in quality but the Fryette is on its own in many ways and I if you tried it you wouldn't think that the others are even close .

I own a SD PS-170, Fryette Power Station II and Matrix GT1000FX.
Haven't tried the LXII buit the insiders say it's very similar to the PS II.

They're all great power amps and I wouldn't say that the difference is night and day. Also because the progress of power amp modeling. Happy to use any of them.

The PS-II is my favorite, soundwise. It sounds and feels the most natural and organic, especially in the lower frequencies. If I’d always and only use my Fractal gear with a traditional cab, this would be my choice. However, it's large, heavy, and it requires tweaking the Amp block for best results which is very inconvenient when using the same block for a direct signal to FOH.

The difference between the Fryette and the other two is not that big. I used to slightly prefer the sound of the PS-170 to the GT1000FX, but that's gone. I now have the Matrix in my rack, which is more convenient for me these days (1U rack space, less time required to setup) and also allows me to run and compare two traditional cabs.

If you to feel like playing through an actual amp, get a Matrix GT1000FX and plug it to an actual guitar cab.

You can also build a 4x12 with FRFR speakers, and use IRs and EQ to make it more flexible. I tried this once and it’s amazing. There’s almost no live (in the room) sound you can’t cover, feels included.

In my personal experience, there’s no audible or “feel” improvement when using the axe through a tube power amp with power amp modeling disabled, over using the Matrix with power simulation enabled.

If I want more “feel” or reactiveness, I can just crank the sag knobs on the Axe and that’s gonna bring more responsiveness than any tube power amp could, without using a tube power amp at all.

Idk man. I vote Matrix.

Another vote for Matrix.

Ive the Gt1600 ( for no reason other than I found a used 1600 cheaper than a new 1000), and I love it with my FM3. Although I use the Ritter SHP most of the time, because dragging a rack around defeats the purpose of the FM3, If Matrix made the 1000 in a pedalboard friendly format, I’d switch in a minute.

Big fan of the matrix here… Plenty loud and I dig the power amplifier modeling in the AxeFX3; suggest the gt1000, or their gt1600fx.

I also run cabinet simulations through one set of outs (to monitors/FOH) and then I run another set (without cabinet modeling/simulation) into traditional guitar cabinets. Best of both worlds. 🤗

Last edited:
I have the GT1000FX a few years ago used it for the wet part of a w/d/w rig. I think I tried it briefly for slaving a head and found it a bit underwhelming . I have a VHT 2/50/2 now and it sounds awesome, all the tube thump you could ever need pretty much.
But a lightweight solution is always tempting. Hm, might need to revisit.

Back
Top Bottom