Power Amp Advice, Please? - Updated, 4/21

The watts aren’t needed until you run into a 16ohm cabinet.

I’ve pretty much tried em all except the Palmer and the PedalBaby (maybe it’s the letter P?) and one thing I noticed was the higher the wattage, the better, even if you aren’t using all that volume.
interesting! how come what do you think? really because of the watts or maybe the 16ohm cabs?

Gonna bump my own thread since I'm reconsidering again.

I have the PS 700 and it's great but I've been missing that tube thing, so I've been running the Axe through my EVH 100 Stealth and it feels way better to me. Such a difference in how it feels when I play, so I'm thinking that SS might just not be for me, at least not right now. Since the Stealth is massive to be carried around for use as a power amp, I was curious if anyone has had any experience with these others I'm looking at.

Victory VX Kraken. It's 50 watts with 6L6's, lunchbox sized, much much lighter than the EVH at like 13lbs. Also, an amp I've never tried, have been wanting to and it could be used alone and get a sound I'm sure I'd enjoy. I feel like it wouldn't be terribly in the way and it weighs less than the Fryette. And is the same price I believe. But only half the watts if the LX were bridged. Would the 50 watts be loud enough for a band practice unmic'd? I've considered the Super Kraken as it's only a little bigger and heavier, double wattage, extras like midi control and so on. Lots more $$ but not off the table.

Fryette LX II - Expensive but worth it over the others?

I know it's opinion and personal taste and stuff but so I'm curious what you'd do if you had narrowed down to a lunchbox amp you were after versus the LX and played almost exclusively metal?

Thanks, again!

Last edited:
Fryette LXII is the best IMO but lots seem to be happy with a Matrix. I have The 2/50/2 and a GT1000FX 2U and I end up using the Matrix even though the VHT sounds better. The VHT weighs a ton and the fan noise at low volume is not great. At a gig the VHT and two Marshall 4x12s and as long as you can turn it up play rock and get someone else to move it it's unbeatable.:tearsofjoy:

I have settled on a Matrix GT1000FX 2U and a pair of Xitone passive wedges with Celestion F12X200s in them. I would use the Fryette LXII but at lower volumes (most of my playing these days) it is not a massive difference and the 2U is pretty silent.

I have settled on a Matrix GT1000FX 2U and a pair of Xitone passive wedges with Celestion F12X200s in them. I would use the Fryette LXII but at lower volumes (most of my playing these days) it is not a massive difference and the 2U is pretty silent.

If you've tried the LX II, I was curious; when you crank it, does it sound, to you, worth the price? That's where I'm at with it. I want it but I can't crank a lot right now and it is pretty expensive when the Powerstage sounds killer.

I'll look it up! What is it that makes you favor it over the Matrix? Have you tried any of the Fryette's by chance?
Quite simply, I love the way it feels and the sound is just bigger and bolder, like a tube amp. I like the Matrix but I may sell it to get another Koch for a second rig I've built (not Axe-FX).

I used a VHT 2/50/2 for years and loved how big it sounded. That is the only VHT/Fryette amp I've used though.

I'll look it up! What is it that makes you favor it over the Matrix? Have you tried any of the Fryette's by chance?
I should also mention that when I use my DIY FR speakers, the Matrix (class A/B) works great with the power amp simulation on the Axe-FX.
Lately, I've been using regular guitar speakers so, I use the Koch amp (hybrid Class A). When I use my FR speakers, I use the Matrix but, it's been a while for that.

Gonna bump my own thread since I'm reconsidering again.

I have the PS 700 and it's great but I've been missing that tube thing, so I've been running the Axe through my EVH 100 Stealth and it feels way better to me. Such a difference in how it feels when I play, so I'm thinking that SS might just not be for me, at least not right now. Since the Stealth is massive to be carried around for use as a power amp, I was curious if anyone has had any experience with these others I'm looking at.

Victory VX Kraken. It's 50 watts with 6L6's, lunchbox sized, much much lighter than the EVH at like 13lbs. Also, an amp I've never tried, have been wanting to and it could be used alone and get a sound I'm sure I'd enjoy. I feel like it wouldn't be terribly in the way and it weighs less than the Fryette. And is the same price I believe. But only half the watts if the LX were bridged. Would the 50 watts be loud enough for a band practice unmic'd? I've considered the Super Kraken as it's only a little bigger and heavier, double wattage, extras like midi control and so on. Lots more $$ but not off the table.

Fryette LX II - Expensive but worth it over the others?

I know it's opinion and personal taste and stuff but so I'm curious what you'd do if you had narrowed down to a lunchbox amp you were after versus the LX and played almost exclusively metal?

Thanks, again!

I just ordered this.

https://ksramps.com/product/pa50-compact-power-amp/

Has a "Hifi" switch for use with modelers for less coloration. Also has a bias monitoring circuit built into the amp for ease of swapping tubes. I think it's going to work out great with my FM3.

Last edited:
I just ordered this.

https://ksramps.com/product/pa50-compact-power-amp/

Has a "Hifi" switch for use with modelers for less coloration. Also has a bias monitoring circuit built into the amp for ease of swapping tubes. I think it's going to work out great with my FM3.

Have you tried it yet? If so, how is it?

I had never heard of it but I know KSR is fantastic and after emailing them a few times, I ordered one and mine came in today. I'm excited to try it out!

EDIT: I tried it and it is insanely good! I've loved the sound with the Duncan and Fryette and liked it with the Boss Waza TAE (haven't messed with the settings enough, I bet it's great as well), but something about the KSR just feels right for the sounds I'm after. I kind of like it better on 'guitar' mode, I guess I like the mojo adding a little something. I realize that's not the idea for a lot of people. It does sound very clear and clean on 'hifi'. There's a big difference, actually! And the all of the knobs really do things to the sound. I find myself turning the negative feedback knob quite a bit against the 'top' and 'bottom' ones. Lots of shaping!

I'm wondering if it can take KT88's. I love 6L6's, but KT88's are my favorite.

Last edited:
Have you tried it yet? If so, how is it?

I had never heard of it but I know KSR is fantastic and after emailing them a few times, I ordered one and mine came in today. I'm excited to try it out!

EDIT: I tried it and it is insanely good! I've loved the sound with the Duncan and Fryette and liked it with the Boss Waza TAE (haven't messed with the settings enough, I bet it's great as well), but something about the KSR just feels right for the sounds I'm after. I kind of like it better on 'guitar' mode, I guess I like the mojo adding a little something. I realize that's not the idea for a lot of people. It does sound very clear and clean on 'hifi'. There's a big difference, actually! And the all of the knobs really do things to the sound. I find myself turning the negative feedback knob quite a bit against the 'top' and 'bottom' ones. Lots of shaping!

I'm wondering if it can take KT88's. I love 6L6's, but KT88's are my favorite.

Glad you like it. I love mine as well. I like it more than the powerstage as the feel is more natural and organic to me. I actually haven’t tried it on guitar mode as I just went with the hifi setting since that’s what Kyle suggested. I’ll try it on guitar next time.

I asked Kyle about the KT88s as well and he said he would avoid it as they will draw a lot of current. I guess that means it will run hotter? I thought about trying them and setting up an additional fan in the back, but I’ve been too nervous because of Kyle’s response.

Thanks for the information, I think I'll hold off too then. I'd hate to mess something up, this thing looks and sounds so great. But it will bias them if we were to risk it? No big deal, change and go?

I went with the purple sparkle. Just curious, what color did you get?

I agree, I like it better than the PS as well. I am in the minority probably in that I like the powerstage a lot even though the power station has tubes and does give you that feel. I played each about the same every day. The PA50 definitely took their spots away. While the KSR doesn't do all the PS-100 will (which is fine, of course), and isn't as cool running and stereo like the PS 700, what it does do is sound incredible and the knobs make so much difference!

I appreciate you posting the link to it, by the way.

Back
Top Bottom