Power Amp Advice, Please? - Updated, 4/21

I have the GT1000FX a few years ago used it for the wet part of a w/d/w rig. I think I tried it briefly for slaving a head and found it a bit underwhelming . I have a VHT 2/50/2 now and it sounds awesome, all the tube thump you could ever need pretty much.
But a lightweight solution is always tempting. Hm, might need to revisit.
I used to have a VHT 2/50/2, and it was a nice neutral sounding power amp, but when I tried a Matrix, I was won over, and sold the VHT. I never regretted that move. I’m intrigued by the LXII though, the small form factor and all, id like to try one.

I have the GT1000FX a few years ago used it for the wet part of a w/d/w rig. I think I tried it briefly for slaving a head and found it a bit underwhelming . I have a VHT 2/50/2 now and it sounds awesome, all the tube thump you could ever need pretty much.
But a lightweight solution is always tempting. Hm, might need to revisit.

for note:

The Matrix has not changed. However the AXFX3 has… And I find I get plenty of “tube thump“ in certain amp models on certain channels.

Iirc, believe it or not - on the very first preset 2nd channel (000 baseman> crunch) I got quite a bit of time toob thump with Ron Ellis’ single coils even in the bridge position.

I also run traditional cabinets (2) 2x12s (V30s) along with FRFR and sometimes allow some amount of low frequencies to pass/stay in the signal path.

good luck. And have fun regardless…😜

I bought 2 active matrix Q12A speakers. The same power amp i inside it as the rack version. After a long quest it felt like a homecoming. Just my humble opinion.
Harm

QSC. Running stereo through two JBL D120s in two single speaker guitar cabs from OUT2. That chain has the normal blocks before and including the amp blocks. OUT1 to FOH with the complete chain of blocks. Flipping, gloriously perfect.

I ended up with Powerstage 700. It was too good of a price not to do it. It's powerful, clean, stereo and fits in my carry rack case's zipper pocket so it all works great for me.

It's definitely some louder than the TAE I was using before though I do believe it was loud enough for anything I could imagine. I really love that thing. The PS doesn't sound less good (not that I thought it would), so I'm happy with both.

I'd still like to try a Matrix someday, I am still browsing around to see one come up that I like the price on. Thanks for all the input!

I used to have a VHT 2/50/2, and it was a nice neutral sounding power amp, but when I tried a Matrix, I was won over, and sold the VHT. I never regretted that move. I’m intrigued by the LXII though, the small form factor and all, id like to try one.
for note:

The Matrix has not changed. However the AXFX3 has… And I find I get plenty of “tube thump“ in certain amp models on certain channels.

Iirc, believe it or not - on the very first preset 2nd channel (000 baseman> crunch) I got quite a bit of time toob thump with Ron Ellis’ single coils even in the bridge position.

I also run traditional cabinets (2) 2x12s (V30s) along with FRFR and sometimes allow some amount of low frequencies to pass/stay in the signal path.

good luck. And have fun regardless…😜
What kind of music do you guys play? I'm a hard rock type of guy and often find my idea of punch is quite different from those who doesn't have spandex and big hair :D

What kind of music do you guys play? I'm a hard rock type of guy and often find my idea of punch is quite different from those who doesn't have spandex and big hair :D
I play pretty heavy stuff, and the Matrix works great, so does the Ritter, but not as much.
I think it’s the Matrix Class AB vs Ritters Class D that makes that small difference that probably no audience member will notice.

I play pretty heavy stuff, and the Matrix works great, so does the Ritter, but not as much.
I think it’s the Matrix Class AB vs Ritters Class D that makes that small difference that probably no audience member will notice.
I don't care about what the audience thinks, I need to be happy first! :D But yeah AB vs Class D is a good point indeed.
Matrix has a decent return policy so I could try one again, just for peace of mind, even if it would cost me a little in shipping.
III and a 1U power amp in a small 4U rack sure sounds nice and compact.

I don't care about what the audience thinks, I need to be happy first! :D But yeah AB vs Class D is a good point indeed.
Matrix has a decent return policy so I could try one again, just for peace of mind, even if it would cost me a little in shipping.
III and a 1U power amp in a small 4U rack sure sounds nice and compact.
Not as compact as the FM3 and the Ritter though. It all fits on my board.

But if using AX3, I’d without a doubt use Matrix.

Hi guys,

let's say I want to use 4 Cabs for stereo (2 full stacks per side) with my AXE FX III, what power amp would you recommend in this case?

thx

One to each set of cabs, daisy chained.
Thanks, yes that woud be an option but does it work will all cabs?
Especially in live situation I can't be sure with what kind of jack plates I'll end up with.
What about power amps with 2 outputs per side like the palmer macht 402 or rocktron mainline?

Maybe look into a powered speaker?

The Matrix FR12 is $800 and has a neodymium speaker making it super light. It has DSP settings but not one to shut off the tweeter (I wonder if they add that???).

The Xitone ML Brit is also nice but heavier. It does have a tweeter defeat DSP setting though. They will do custom builds so you can likely fit a neo speaker if you ask.

I am wondering if those watts from the matrix devices are really needed.
Palmer Macht 402 and Rocktron Mainline still look reasonable to me.
I'll try it out maybe even with daisy chaining/ Y-cables lets see..
Thanks for the input guys!

I am wondering if those watts from the matrix devices are really needed.
Palmer Macht 402 and Rocktron Mainline still look reasonable to me.
I'll try it out maybe even with daisy chaining/ Y-cables lets see..
Thanks for the input guys!
The watts aren’t needed until you run into a 16ohm cabinet.

I’ve pretty much tried em all except the Palmer and the PedalBaby (maybe it’s the letter P?) and one thing I noticed was the higher the wattage, the better, even if you aren’t using all that volume.

Back
Top Bottom