Power Amp Advice, Please? - Updated, 4/21

Thanks for the information, I think I'll hold off too then. I'd hate to mess something up, this thing looks and sounds so great. But it will bias them if we were to risk it? No big deal, change and go?

I went with the purple sparkle. Just curious, what color did you get?

I agree, I like it better than the PS as well. I am in the minority probably in that I like the powerstage a lot even though the power station has tubes and does give you that feel. I played each about the same every day. The PA50 definitely took their spots away. While the KSR doesn't do all the PS-100 will (which is fine, of course), and isn't as cool running and stereo like the PS 700, what it does do is sound incredible and the knobs make so much difference!

I appreciate you posting the link to it, by the way.

Never tried the powerstation, but I've used the powerstage exclusively for about 6 months and I like the KSR more. Powerstage wasn't bad at all though. My PA50 is flat black because that's what was available when I purchased (also picked up a flat black Ceres pedal). KSR makes awesome products. Anyone considering a poweramp should seriously check them out. Glad you are liking yours and glad I could help.

Thanks for the information, I think I'll hold off too then. I'd hate to mess something up, this thing looks and sounds so great. But it will bias them if we were to risk it? No big deal, change and go?

I went with the purple sparkle. Just curious, what color did you get?

I agree, I like it better than the PS as well. I am in the minority probably in that I like the powerstage a lot even though the power station has tubes and does give you that feel. I played each about the same every day. The PA50 definitely took their spots away. While the KSR doesn't do all the PS-100 will (which is fine, of course), and isn't as cool running and stereo like the PS 700, what it does do is sound incredible and the knobs make so much difference!

I appreciate you posting the link to it, by the way.

Hi GodOfThunder, I have a question!:

Do you switch of the "power-amp simulaton" as suggested in the manual, when running into the KSR in "guitar-mode"? I am currently using my Marshall 9200 tube poweramp with my Axe3, and I found it thin and lagging when switching of the "power-amp simulation", but when left on it sounded and felt great. - Which seems very odd, considering what the manual suggests.

I also own the Palmer Macht 402 Class D power amp, but when using it with the Axe3, WITH the "power-amp sim" on, it sounds weak and thin to my ears (at least in neutral mode) - but again odd considering the manual recommends a neutral FRFR power amp...

By the way, I only use real cabs (Mesa Rectifiers XL & Engl Pro 4x12's), no FRFR speakers, but I do run direct also (with Cab block on) from output 1 to FOH (Output 3, with NO Cab block obviously, goes to power-amp -> Cabs). Style is brutal metal :)

@Rasmus Toftlund I also only use real cabs (Orange PPC's and an EVH 4x12's), and for metal (brutal, thrash, death, groove, etc) mostly. With the KSR, I tried both on and off but preferred leaving it on with the KSR in guitar mode and hifi mode both. Actually, same for the Duncan Power Stage and the Fryette Power Station. The KSR does give more character when using guitar mode, but I feel like it's still clear enough to only add a little extra something that I really like for metal. Sounds good with the Bassmans too. Hifi feels very similar to the Fryette Power Station with something just a little different going that makes me choose it each time, so I got rid of the Fryette. It's a fantastic PA but it didn't give me anything that I wasn't getting from the Boss Tube Amp Expander and the KSR really.

The only time I've really like the power amp off at all was through a couple of amp heads like an EVH Stealth and a Marshall JCM800 I have with an added FX loop.

@Rasmus Toftlund I also only use real cabs (Orange PPC's and an EVH 4x12's), and for metal (brutal, thrash, death, groove, etc) mostly. With the KSR, I tried both on and off but preferred leaving it on with the KSR in guitar mode and hifi mode both. Actually, same for the Duncan Power Stage and the Fryette Power Station. The KSR does give more character when using guitar mode, but I feel like it's still clear enough to only add a little extra something that I really like for metal. Sounds good with the Bassmans too. Hifi feels very similar to the Fryette Power Station with something just a little different going that makes me choose it each time, so I got rid of the Fryette. It's a fantastic PA but it didn't give me anything that I wasn't getting from the Boss Tube Amp Expander and the KSR really.

The only time I've really like the power amp off at all was through a couple of amp heads like an EVH Stealth and a Marshall JCM800 I have with an added FX loop.
Thank you for replying! - Good to know it's not only me that hear that, appreciate your feedback :) 👍

And yes, that totally makes sense turning the "power-amp sim", when using a real amp effect return.

My theory at this point is, that most Tube power amps (or at least the Marshall 9200 and the KSR in this instance), though perhaps not even close to FRFR's, they are still created to produce way less harmonic distortion than in an actual tube guitar head - which could actually be what makes them perfect for Axe 🤔

I am at least digging this setup! :D

I had the 9200 and the EL34 50/50 and the VHT 2/50/2 absolutely wiped the floor with it. Weighed a tone and the fan sounded like a helicopter awful.

I see. But did you have the "power-amp simulation" On or Off when using either of them?
Off but I tried both. They sound good for the Marshall style amps at volume (to hide the helicopter loud fan) but not really anything else IMO. Same with the Mesa power amps they have too much personality for Axe.

Back
Top Bottom