Potential New Rig... thoughts?

Tomer

So I've never had an Axe before and I was looking at going with the upcoming Axe III.... I wanted to run by this setup I envisioned and see what your thoughts were... thanks in advance! :) (Note: I don't tour or anything, mostly jam at home or take it to play out at a friends place)

(Revised based on comments)
Equipment List:
Fractal Axe Fx III
Fractal FC12
Gator 4U Shallow Rack
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x
Atomic CLR NEO MK II (2)
Mission SP-1 (Wah)
Mission EP-1 (Whammy/Volume)
iPad/MacBook Pro with FracPad/FracTool/Axe-Edit

See picture below:
upload_2018-1-31_14-46-32.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-31_9-2-58.png
    upload_2018-1-31_9-2-58.png
    452.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:
With that setup you could take over the world!

I'm not a fan of those Audio Technica headphones. I owned a pair and didn't like how hard they clamped down even after hours of stretching and I found they had pronounced sibilance. But if they work for you, cool.

With that setup you could take over the world!

I'm not a fan of those Audio Technica headphones. I owned a pair and didn't like how hard they clamped down even after hours of stretching and I found they had pronounced sibilance. But if they work for you, cool.
Which headphones would you recommend? thanks for your input :)

totally loosing the ability to use the 2000+ ir's available in the unit, basically tying one hand behind your back sound possibility wise.

This is good advice unless a Mesa cab is part of "your" sound and you don't need other sounds. I think it'd be pretty silly to get rid of the Mesa cab just to get a FRFR cab and choose an IR that emulates a Mesa cab. This is my situation. I just love my mesa cab and power amp so much I really don't want to change anything.

This is good advice unless a Mesa cab is part of "your" sound and you don't need other sounds. I think it'd be pretty silly to get rid of the Mesa cab just to get a FRFR cab and choose an IR that emulates a Mesa cab. This is my situation. I just love my mesa cab and power amp so much I really don't want to change anything.

Same as using a Ferarri to get groceries though if you think about it. But your sound is your sound. And FRFR is way diff than using a cab. it's just using the same cab with different heads they will tend to all sound alike, especially in the high gain stuff. IMHO.

You are taking a lot off the table that the III will probably bring over the II by using a cab, IMHO. Really as a preamp, the Ultras were already great and IIs got the power amp thing going so you didn't need tube power with that rig you could just stop with a II.

If you are just using it as a preamp, unless you need some other aspect (can't imagine actually needing the extra FX routing in this kind of config), a II is going to easily serve as well as a III if you are just going to immediately bypass power amp and cabinet emulation.

Last edited:
You are taking a lot off the table that the III will probably bring over the II by using a cab, IMHO. Really as a preamp, the Ultras were already great and IIs got the power amp thing going so you didn't need tube power with that rig you could just stop with a II.
So what I'm hearing is that by using a mesa cab instead of an FRFR, is that I will be severely limiting myself in what sounds I can create with the Axe 3? By going with a Mesa, I am stuck with ONLY a mesa sound?

So what I'm hearing is that by using a mesa cab instead of an FRFR, is that I will be severely limiting myself in what sounds I can create with the Axe 3? By going with a Mesa, I am stuck with ONLY a mesa sound?
In terms of cabinets, yes.

I figured I wont need a Furman conditioner at home (i have a 3 year old house).... and I'm not sure how i feel about going wireless with a Line 6 or Shure system... thoughts?

Regarding headphones, I highly suggest trying out a bunch with music that you know how it sounds on the flattest system you have heard them on. Then you will know which frequencies in which headphones sound extremely hyped or not, everybody's hearing and tastes are different, so it is a very personal choice.

I notice your setup has no power conditioner. When you are rocking that expensive a rig, you want to make sure a surge does not fry everything or it becomes much more expensive to repair than just buying a good power conditioner would cost.

I once had a freak direct lightning strike at the pole outside my parents' house cause a power surge that took out an amp and a multi-effects unit in one felt swoop due to inferior power conditioning being unable to arrest the surge. Please learn from my mistake.

I highly recommend the M. Britt Xitone cab. I have heard a bunch of FRFR, but the M Britt was downright spooky how accurate it was side by side with the real cabs whose IRs I shot. In a blindfold test I failed in identifying which was which.

Note: I am not endorser of Xitone or any power conditioner company, I'm just relating my personal experiences with things.

Back
Top Bottom