Potential buyer with a few questions.

DRC

Even though I sent this question to the support team, I thought maybe someone else has tried this so I will post this here as well.

After reading the manual I have a few unanswered questions concerning the number of effect chains and there assignment to the inputs and outputs.
I would like to use this in a FIVE cable method with an RJM switcher and a line mixer. Four cable (actually SIX if you count the stereo outs) for the post effects, and one for the preamp effects. Essentially, I want a pair of reverb/delay units with there own independent mono input and stereo outputs, but also the ability to switch the input of one of those units to the preamp/amp sim function for which the AXE-FX is most known for.

I need to know if this routing can be done.

I use an analog delay and spring reverbs with my rig. I went from a pair of multi-effects (MPX-1 & M-One) to an M5, a Timeline and a Timefactor in a rack shelf. All sharing a master tap tempo. I wanna go back to the rack units but I am wondering if the AXE-FX II can take the place of all of this? Here is how I am running my rig.

M5 - I run the my guitar into a switcher/loop and access analog pedals and the M5. The M5 is mainly for the pattern hard tremolo (chopper effect) but also for a long delay that decays a well into the next measure of a song while I have moved on to the next patch. The M5 feeds the mixer, not the front of my preamp. The instrument input on the AXE-FX II would take this role.

Delays - I take a line out from my amps (though on occasion I use one amp and it's effects loop) that hits an RJM switcher in the rack. That switcher will feed my analog delay and two different digital delays. One usually set to a Tape Delay with slight reverb that I run parallel with the dry signal feeding a spring reverb. The other I set dry with a rhythmic delay.

I would like to be able to use the the Input 1 on the rear of the AXE to feed an effects chain that does the Tape Delay w. Reverb and connect Output 1 L+R to the line mixer. Then Input 2 on the rear could feed the effects chain of the dry rhythmic delay and the Output 2 L+R would feed another channel on the line mixer.

I know that to use the instrument input on the front I would have to lose Input 1 and use Output 1 L+R but I could program the preset for each song to reflect which input I want to use for that song. I would imagine for cleaner guitars I would just use the instrument input and use the AXE-FX very wet in parallel to my dry amp. But for my dirty sounds I would want to use the line out from my amp to the rear input of the AXE-FX and just use the post effects.

Can this be done? Will it surpass the processing power of the AXE? Can the Outputs be assigned this way?

I'm guessing no one routes this way?

I know it seems over complicated but I love my amps. In fact I love my effects as well. Just thought having an extra group of sounds that are all under the same roof so to speak might be a cool idea. I also heard the delays and reverbs sound as good as anything I'm currently using.

Sounds super complex. I am sure you can get close though. Every single effect on the Axe sounds as good as anything Ive ever heard. If its good enough for John Petrucci's effects IN THE STUDIO...it works for me. I suggest getting an Axe Fx and trying to keep it a little simpler. It will BLOW your mind.

Anything a rack of delays and reverbs can do- with enough work/tweaking the axe can do it- even better...

All the routing you want to do- you can do all inside the axe- probably easier than you think it is...

And using the axe while routing multiple delays/reverbs time factory and this and that... is like buying a ferrari because it is fast but not wanting to put miles on it- so you put it on top of a tow truck and drive the tow truck around with the ferrari on top

And using the axe while routing multiple delays/reverbs time factory and this and that... is like buying a ferrari because it is fast but not wanting to put miles on it- so you put it on top of a tow truck and drive the tow truck around with the ferrari on top

Actually, I'm wanting the Axe to do the heavy lifting as far as my post effects go. I'm just not sure if running independant reverbs and delays will tax the unit. reverbs take a lot of processing power. Let me give you an example of what I'd like to accomplish.

Say in the verse of a song, I want to use the instrument input on the Axe that will feed a Looper that repeats a four measure phrase into a 100% effected hard tremolo that is tempo linked to a subtle multi-tap delay that comes after the amp sim. Say a Fender Super Reverb, whatever. That will feed Output 2 to my Mixer.

While that is playing I now access the front of my Dr. Z that feeds my dry cab but has a line out that feeds the switcher, that feeds the Input 2 of the Axe and go through a chain of simple quarter note tape delays into a very dense reverb. That will feed Output 1 out to my Mixer and blend with my dry cab.

When I change the preset on the Axe for the chorus it would kill the hard tremolo chain and switch the input from instrument to the Input 1 on the rear but leave the tape delay/reverb chain alone.

My fear is I will not only run out of processing power but the ability to assign these different delays, reverbs, mods, etc to seperate outputs will be hampered. My use of a mixer is not just for spillover, which I know the Axe can handle on it's own, but the ability on the fly to attenuate/increase the effect levels from venue to venue, and the blend with my analog effects and with my dry cab. Trust me, if I buy it, it isn't to under utilize it but rather push it to do the work of the three effects it would be replacing.

I only use an Ultra, not an Axe II, but I don't think a bunch of delays is going to max out the DSPs. One of the big power eaters is the cab block, which you don't seem to need. While delays and reverbs can require some power, I don't think it should be a problem.

My main patch has two mixer blocks, an amp, a simple delay, wah, multiband compressor, looper, synth, drive, two filters, two PEQs, FX loop, feedback send/return, and maybe a compressor (can't quite remember). The amp, delay, MBC and synth are the big things in there, but I've still got some power to play with as it is. Some of those didn't used to be in there, but I ran a hi-res cab block back then too. Now I run through a 2x12 cab, but also use my wedge with our violin player running through the Axe and the other side of my Matrix (which is: one of the PEQs, FXL, feedback, and that possible other compressor... maybe there's reverb in there too... don't remember now). An IA switch on the board turns her on and off if required, just as I can turn myself on and off with another switch (left over from when I used to run two chains, one for mag pickups, one for piezos). Input 1R on the back is still set up (in terms of rack wiring) to be used for the piezo, and as only one side of I/O 2 is required for the violin, I've wired it up to have front access to the other side in case I want to use it for something else (and panning in the patches is also set up for this). So one side of output 2 goes out to the poweramp, the other side goes out the front for... where ever I might need to run it one day.

Clever use of the tools available can let you do all kinds of things in the Axe. If you haven't already, maybe download the manual and have a read through to get an idea of what you can do with it. Maybe the Axe Wiki too. I can't really comment specifically on your proposed set up, as reading about it melted my brain. I'd probably have to read through it again slowly and try to draw up a diagram, but I don't really have time for that right now. :lol

Back
Top Bottom