Potential bug FW 15.06 + 15.03: Block bypass state not correctly saved [FIXED]

6stringscott

Inspired
This may be an obscure pilot error, but I tried my best to rule that out...

I'm doing all actions from the front panel.

Pan/Tremolo block, effect type Tremolo, I want to bypass it in some scenes in a patch. It disabled fine for Scene 5 and consistently stays on as I intend in Scenes 3 and 4. But it's behaving weirdly for Scenes 1 and 2, almost like a toggle but not quite. I can save the scene 1 block state = "bypass" for the Trem/Pan, and it is still active in Scene 2. Then I change state to Bypass in Scene 2, save the patch, and it stays bypassed for scene 2. But then I go to Scene 1 and it is active again! This was very repeatable in my environment. I just couldn't save both scenes 1 and 2 in the bypass state for that block- fixing one broke the other... I upgraded from 15.03 to 15.06 and observed the same behavior. I disconnected the floorboard (from a powered off state) to make sure it wasn't conflicting messages coming from the mfc101 in case I didn't know what I was doing with that thing. Edited from the front panel of the Axe FX II XL and same behavior.

I upgraded from 15.03 to 15.06, same behavior. I got the idea to see how the X/Y parameter interacted with this issue... Scene 1 had state X, and scene 2 had state Y. So I changed scene 2 to state X (figuring it didn't matter because I was disabling it anyways), and this change enabled me to save both scenes with the Pan block in bypass mode!!!

To further test the hypothesis, I put scene 1 back in state Y and bypassed for that block... this saves ok. Now Scene 2 is still in state X but no longer bypassed!!! Now it gets weirder. I set to bypass for scene 2, save, and shift to scene 1, half expecting to see that scene 1 the block reactivated itself... nope. OK, so far so good. Go back to scene 2, doh! The block is active again!!!

Finally, I set the block in scene 2 to Y state. At this point, both scenes 1 and 2 are in the Y state, block is bypassed in scene 1 as I intended, and block is active in scene 2 as a result of the bug described just before this. So I bypass the block and save, and now it stays the way I intended for Scene 2, and it appears no adverse impact on Scene 1 also!

In summary, it appears that the bypass states of different scenes do not save correctly if different scenes have the block in different X/Y states. Either both in X or both in Y then the bypass state is saved correctly. If they are different, then it either fails to save the change in the last scene you modified, or it toggles the state of another scene. I'm too lazy and/or busy with my day job to try to repeat the scenario with other block types or further characterize it, or to see if it affects different scene numbers or is peculiar to scenes 1 and 2, or potentially tied to something else I'm not considering. But it certainly is not because of interaction with MFC101 Mark III which was detached during these experiments.

Luckily I figured a work-around or this would have been a big deal for me, effectively blowing my ability to use the scenes feature. Note that some people might want to use an IA controller to bypass or unbypass the block, and having it affect the state in other scenes in live use and even after saving is not cool.

Maybe there is something weird I did that caused this, and if so, please steer me in the right direction. But it just seems like a bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bug 15.06 (also in 15.03): Bock bypass state not correctly saved for Scenes

Well I deal with software and systems testing as a part of my day job, so happy to help when I encounter something odd.

It also helps that I'm new to AxeFX, still trying to figure out what I can and can't do, get my settings dialed in and then will probably settle into a period of minimal experimentation.

Edit: I suppose it would be coarse of me not to acknowledge how badass it is that the same day I report an odd behavior the vendor confirms it, finds other affected pieces, and fixes it. Can't say that I have ever experienced that with any company. I'm drinkin' the Koolaid and lovin' it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom