Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

I started with the II and got the matrix amps and cabs for FRFR. I soon realized that real cabs was the only way I was going to get the sound I wanted. I was running each matrix 1x12 alone and two bass 1x12s for bass, and I had 8 channels total to play with.

Now I run a III WDW in stereo. Wet are through FRFR and dry through real cabs. The FRFR are daisy chained on their own channels, 2x12, and each 4x12 cab gets a cue out from the Apollo. 4000 watts at my disposal. It is thunderous🤘; Sunn O))) who?
Do you gig with that setup? My back hurts just thinking about lugging all that gear to a show.

Do you gig with that setup? My back hurts just thinking about lugging all that gear to a show.
No, I don't gig and am just starting in recording, honestly. If I did gig, I might use the Matrix 1x12s or some 2x12s I have with EVs.

I had the space and it was one of those, well, I have the channels. The Mesa and Diezel came first, and then I was like, maybe a stack, yeah a stack. Then, came the EVH and Marshall. For the longest time, I didn't want to tempt fate with earthquakes so I hemmed and hawed until I finally decided on the Fortin and the ENGL with V60s :) Too many V30s and I like the sweeter flavor of the 60s. It's a little hard in that they're all different watt cabs but I just use a sound level detector to match their levels in the room. The Apollo makes routing and leveling a dream.

FYI, if someone put a gun to my head and said grab a cab, I'd pick the Fortin all day long.

I had the 2:90 first so I obviously was biased towards that. I knew "that feeling" and power it gave.
When I hooked up the Matrix I was a bit underwhelmed.

I did some reading and did the following:
- Put the Matrix volume (only using it in Mono, so just using 1 channel) at around 2 oclock. Control the volume/output in the AXE.

- I first used Output 3 but I found that is was lacking something. (Most likely just user error). I changed it to Output 2 (+4dbV in the setup menu, Sum L+R) and connected it with a XLR to the Matrix. That definitely gave everything a boost! Output 2 at around 9pm gives a out a good punch. At 10 o'clock my room starts shaking.

- changed the SPEAKER tab setting. Since I use a 4x12 Oversized Mesa straight. I selected the USA 4x12 Large curve! If you do not set this correctly it will start "buzzing" (low frequency feedback kind of).

- Also, a PEQ right before Output 2 is a must! Low frequencies block 80hz, High frequencies blocking at around 10kHZ. This cleaned up the signal quite a bit. I was hearing a specific kind of fuzz. I also added an additional GEQ ( 5 band Mark) to fine tune output 2. This also helps a bit. (Since I mainly dialed in my amp for FOH/Headphones).

- I made a separate path (this time with Output 3 => full clockwise into the 2:90) with an PEQ and GEQ.

Here is an impression, this was recorded with just my Phone (nothing else on hand) and mind the sloppy playing. I just quickly recorded a loop for testing.

Link to video (Google Drive):

I'm still not sure which I will keep. But I got the Matrix relatively close to the 2:90 so that the pro's definitely start outweighing the cons's. (Less weight, less maintenace cost, less fragile, reliable,..)
Hope it gives you some insight!

Matrix. Makes amp models sound more distinct. LOVE MESA, but the Matrix is better.

I started with the II and got the matrix amps and cabs for FRFR. I soon realized that real cabs was the only way I was going to get the sound I wanted. I was running each matrix 1x12 alone and two bass 1x12s for bass, and I had 8 channels total to play with.

Now I run a III WDW in stereo. Wet are through FRFR and dry through real cabs. The FRFR are daisy chained on their own channels, 2x12, and each 4x12 cab gets a cue out from the Apollo. 4000 watts at my disposal. It is thunderous🤘; Sunn O))) who? 😂

I noticed that you have a Muffaletta and an NYC Muff. I would have thought the Muffaletta could cop that pedal in "JHS" mode. No? Also, have you compared the Pi model in the Axe to the different muff sounds you have? Thoughts on how they all compare?

I noticed that you have a Muffaletta and an NYC Muff. I would have thought the Muffaletta could cop that pedal in "JHS" mode. No? Also, have you compared the Pi model in the Axe to the different muff sounds you have? Thoughts on how they all compare?
At the time, I was comparing the Muffalleta and the NYC. The Muffalleta is good for variety but it doesn't quite replicate the originals 100%, I'd say 85-90%. The Axe is a different beast and highly tunable but it does a great job too. I just really like how the III takes pedals. I'm using the ram's head setting on the Muffalleta now but have a preorder in for an Animalizzer

I had previously posted about a year ago but I have since made changes to my rig. I added the ENGL E570 and E850 with a 2nd Studio.

The AFX 3 alone has some amazing tones and I got some pretty convincing ENGL tones out of it. I do enjoy twisting the knobs of the real thing, tho.

My Rig.jpg

Last edited:
Not so much a "rig" as a simple home studio setup...

Workstation.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Beautiful axe (both of 'em haha)...RG 3120? Those are rare now, one of Ibanez' best line ever.

Thank you! It's pretty rudimentary at this stage, save for the Yamahas lol. Just needed to put something together so I can start playing and recording asap.

And indeed that is a 3120 TW circa 1999. Getting pretty rare to find these in decent shape nowadays, a lot of guitar for the money if you manage to get a hold of one.

Your home studio looks pretty sweet! :cool:

And indeed that is a 3120 TW circa 1999. Getting pretty rare to find these in decent shape nowadays, a lot of guitar for the money if you manage to get a hold of one.

Your home studio looks pretty sweet! :cool:
I agree..I had one for many years, main recording guitar, they sound soooo good...and yours does look like it was well taken care of!

Thanks. Here's a better/overview of my humble setup...which now features the Axe FX III !!

Overview.jpg

Last edited:
^^^ Haha...yes...a deal was made. Notice all the music stuff crammed on those two walls? It's because the room has to pull double duty as a guest bedroom, the other side has a sleeper couch, end table, blah, blah.

I guess one should not be real surprised after getting a piece of professional audio equipment that - shocker! - a lot of professionals have it as part of their home rigs :D

Still, you can color me very impressed! (I think I spy a refinished puzzle top RG there too..)

(in fact, I'm blown away by most of the rigs/setups/studios on display here.. so awesome!)

Back
Top Bottom