Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

Right, 2 12-inch speakers and a 1" HF driver. Originally I thought there was a tweeter for each speaker at the top left and the top right but I'm pretty sure those are just ports.

I think it would be a bit hard to move 2 around because of their size, I definitely wouldn't wanna bother, but in terms of weight it surprised me, seems like it should be way way heavier for the sound it produces. They have a good reason for not making the cab stereo (the speakers are too close together for them to benefit from stereo routing, which I actually agree with), but I think it'd also be neat to have 2 of the powered 1x12s and run them in stereo, because they'd take up the same amount of space but allow for a bit more versatility. This is another reason a pair of HS8s could work better or be more convenient but, again, this cab has a waaaay more intimidating and deep sound than a pair of monitors, it's pretty incredible, at least as far as metal goes for me...
This got me curious and have been watching some vids on this cabinet. The gear whore in me would love a sort of w/d/w application with this matrix cab and my CLR's. This matrix cab apparently has a dsp mode to compensate for the fletcher-munson curve so your presets theoretically should sound the same and low and loud volumes! pretty cool. have you found this to be the case ?

This got me curious and have been watching some vids on this cabinet. The gear whore in me would love a sort of w/d/w application with this matrix cab and my CLR's. This matrix cab apparently has a dsp mode to compensate for the fletcher-munson curve so your presets theoretically should sound the same and low and loud volumes! pretty cool. have you found this to be the case ?
So as far as I can tell testing it at low volumes, the difference between DSP modes 1 and 2 is very subtle (which I bet it probably ought to be) but it does seem to work as advertised, which is great. Mode 3 had my friend and I confused though, because it's supposed to be a low cut, but every single patch we tried became boomy as hell to the point of being unbearable standing close to the cab. In the one demo video of the cab that Matrix has on Youtube, the guy demoing the cab mentions that the mids will naturally become a bit more present when you enable the low cut mode, but for a guitar patch, maybe what you'd consider the 'mids' of a full-range cab are the 'lows' of a good metal tone so, I'd bet the third mode is also functioning as intended, but the difference in my room is far less subtle than what I heard in their demo, I probably won't ever use it.

Picked up an FC-12 and added a hush inline with the wireless as I was getting some hiss
DSC01494.jpg

Axe FX III MKII and Red Sound Elis 8View attachment 79120
Nice clean setup! No FC?
See you’ve got the Elis8 kit. I’m very interested, can you do a review?
How road worthy are they? Want to use them for rehearsal and small stage gigs (not that I‘m doing any big stage gigs 😉) when live / life starts up again. The front cloth cover looks a bit fragile to me.
What is that stand you use?

Nice clean setup! No FC?
How road worthy are they? Want to use them for rehearsal and small stage gigs (not that I‘m doing any big stage gigs 😉) when live / life starts up again. The front cloth cover looks a bit fragile to me.

Sash did a review on those here's the link https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/red-sound-elis8-frfr-review.170245/

I have them as well, they sound fantastic! you won't be disappointed. Not had a chance to used them live yet for obvious reasons but they are very well built. The front cloth is like a grill cloth but slightly more durable.

Last edited:
Here’s my home setup. I’m on the waiting list for a pair of Elis8 speakers to use here. My regular studio monitors are in the rehearsal space at the moment, along with most of my guitars.

Attachments

• E27917D7-FCD4-474F-9E81-0844EC5A0289.jpeg
    E27917D7-FCD4-474F-9E81-0844EC5A0289.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
Nice clean setup! No FC?
You can easily gig with them and the grill cloth is very durable.
I did a review in the amps and can section but in short: best speakers I‘ve ever tried.
This is the Stand I’m using
https://m.thomann.de/de/millenium_as2001.htm?o=7&search=1614261052
I have a FC 12 and two Pedals as well
C842C312-2251-4A5A-AB57-8F510EAFD11C.jpeg

Last edited:
Put the patch panel in front and thank me later ;)
Why? I have to get in the back anyway for connecting my cabinet.
I like a sleek look (without any cables in the front ideally) so while I'm in the back plugging in my speaker cable, I can just connect the XLR's en PowerCon aswell.

I do get it why it's easier in the front, especially when connecting straight to FOH or just jammin' on your own.

Why? I have to get in the back anyway for connecting my cabinet.
I like a sleek look (without any cables in the front ideally) so while I'm in the back plugging in my speaker cable, I can just connect the XLR's en PowerCon aswell.

I do get it why it's easier in the front, especially when connecting straight to FOH or just jammin' on your own.
I am the same way. I've built my own patch panels in the past and have always mounted them in the rear of the rack.

Work in progress.
Planning on building a patchpanel in the back and wireless in the front.

Still testing the Matrix vs the 2:90. Poweramp will go into a seperate 3hu rack which I will take with me when required!

View attachment 79361

Sweet! I’m actually trying to figure out which I want to get now; the 2:90 or a Matrix.

What are your thoughts between the two so far?

Sweet! I’m actually trying to figure out which I want to get now; the 2:90 or a Matrix.

What are your thoughts between the two so far?

I had the 2:90 first so I obviously was biased towards that. I knew "that feeling" and power it gave.
When I hooked up the Matrix I was a bit underwhelmed.

I did some reading and did the following:
- Put the Matrix volume (only using it in Mono, so just using 1 channel) at around 2 oclock. Control the volume/output in the AXE.

- I first used Output 3 but I found that is was lacking something. (Most likely just user error). I changed it to Output 2 (+4dbV in the setup menu, Sum L+R) and connected it with a XLR to the Matrix. That definitely gave everything a boost! Output 2 at around 9pm gives a out a good punch. At 10 o'clock my room starts shaking.

- changed the SPEAKER tab setting. Since I use a 4x12 Oversized Mesa straight. I selected the USA 4x12 Large curve! If you do not set this correctly it will start "buzzing" (low frequency feedback kind of).

- Also, a PEQ right before Output 2 is a must! Low frequencies block 80hz, High frequencies blocking at around 10kHZ. This cleaned up the signal quite a bit. I was hearing a specific kind of fuzz. I also added an additional GEQ ( 5 band Mark) to fine tune output 2. This also helps a bit. (Since I mainly dialed in my amp for FOH/Headphones).

- I made a separate path (this time with Output 3 => full clockwise into the 2:90) with an PEQ and GEQ.

Here is an impression, this was recorded with just my Phone (nothing else on hand) and mind the sloppy playing. I just quickly recorded a loop for testing.

Link to video (Google Drive):

I'm still not sure which I will keep. But I got the Matrix relatively close to the 2:90 so that the pro's definitely start outweighing the cons's. (Less weight, less maintenace cost, less fragile, reliable,..)
Hope it gives you some insight!

I had the 2:90 first so I obviously was biased towards that. I knew "that feeling" and power it gave.
When I hooked up the Matrix I was a bit underwhelmed.

I did some reading and did the following:
- Put the Matrix volume (only using it in Mono, so just using 1 channel) at around 2 oclock. Control the volume/output in the AXE.

- I first used Output 3 but I found that is was lacking something. (Most likely just user error). I changed it to Output 2 (+4dbV in the setup menu, Sum L+R) and connected it with a XLR to the Matrix. That definitely gave everything a boost! Output 2 at around 9pm gives a out a good punch. At 10 o'clock my room starts shaking.

- changed the SPEAKER tab setting. Since I use a 4x12 Oversized Mesa straight. I selected the USA 4x12 Large curve! If you do not set this correctly it will start "buzzing" (low frequency feedback kind of).

- Also, a PEQ right before Output 2 is a must! Low frequencies block 80hz, High frequencies blocking at around 10kHZ. This cleaned up the signal quite a bit. I was hearing a specific kind of fuzz. I also added an additional GEQ ( 5 band Mark) to fine tune output 2. This also helps a bit. (Since I mainly dialed in my amp for FOH/Headphones).

- I made a separate path (this time with Output 3 => full clockwise into the 2:90) with an PEQ and GEQ.

Here is an impression, this was recorded with just my Phone (nothing else on hand) and mind the sloppy playing. I just quickly recorded a loop for testing.

Link to video (Google Drive):

I'm still not sure which I will keep. But I got the Matrix relatively close to the 2:90 so that the pro's definitely start outweighing the cons's. (Less weight, less maintenace cost, less fragile, reliable,..)
Hope it gives you some insight!

Thanks, man! Much appreciated!!

Back
Top Bottom