Post Your Axe-Fx III Rigs Here!

I started looking through 67 pages and thought I just might ask. I would like to see if anyone is putting the Axe and power conditioner under a FRFR, like an RCF NX 12-SMA? All on wheels would be great. I then could put my FC 12 and EV2 in my gig bag and only have two pieces to wheel in, maybe out the bag on top of the rack?? Looking for quick in/out setup for gigging. TIA
I like to have sensitive gear as much as posible in the back line, out of harms way, so my AF3, Furmann power conditioner, guitar wireless and iem wireless are all in one rack case. FC12 and 2 mission xp's in a gigbag, guitars in a triple guitar case etc.

Hey guys. I've been playing an AX8 for years and it's been such a great piece of gear. Countless gigs and consistently great sound with not one issue.

Recently picked up a 3 for a great price locally and I am absolutely blown away. There's a lot to dive into but I'm excited to learn the secrets within! I play into stereo Line6 L3M speakers or into my Marshall 2061x cab with a Mesa V30/GB combination via a Matrix 800.

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_093839.jpg
    IMG_20211017_093839.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20211016_164630.jpg
    IMG_20211016_164630.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 187
I started with the II and got the matrix amps and cabs for FRFR. I soon realized that real cabs was the only way I was going to get the sound I wanted. I was running each matrix 1x12 alone and two bass 1x12s for bass, and I had 8 channels total to play with.

Now I run a III WDW in stereo. Wet are through FRFR and dry through real cabs. The FRFR are daisy chained on their own channels, 2x12, and each 4x12 cab gets a cue out from the Apollo. 4000 watts at my disposal. It is thunderous🤘; Sunn O))) who? 😂

View attachment 80244View attachment 80245
Only thing missing is more cabs 😂 Awesome room of doom

Okay @Brian Angiel , since you are uniquely equipped to comment, what are your thoughts on the Fryette LXII vs PS-100 vs Matrix power amplifiers with the Axe-Fx?
Honestly my obsession with comparing things is how I ended up with all three. It has nothing to do with shortcomings in any unit. I have a PowerStage 200 in the little gray basket at the bottom of the rack too ;)

First, I don’t know that I could tell the difference between the LXII and the PS100. Sonically, they’re both fantastic. I like the LXII for my Axe, as I can run both 4x12s in stereo. I like the PS100 for the load box (duh) or for applications where I want a power amp that allows me to adjust the Presence and Resonance controls. Those controls may as well not exist on the LXII, as they are a PITA to tweak. I just leave the little dip switches off and run the LXII flat.

Physically, the Fryette units are both heavy as hell. The fans can be pretty loud too. The Matrix is definitely better for portable applications or in cases where low noise floor is critical.

I love the Fryette units for their simplicity. I don’t have to tweak Impedance Curves or anything. Set that to Resistive Load, and the cab is gonna thump as you’d expect. They’re also plenty loud.

Where Fryette loses me a bit is build quality. This is my second LXII. I know everyone says his stuff is bullet proof, but that hasn’t been my experience. My first unit kept losing output. It may have just been a tube, but I only had like 10 hours on the thing, and cracking the LXII open looks like a nightmare. I opted for a swap. With this second LXII and with my PS100, there’s a good bit of play on nearly every jack (IEC, 1/4”, etc). It is a bit worrisome. This is a minor nitpick, but there’s also light bleeding between the Presence and Resonance LEDs. If Presence is ON, there’s enough bleed to make it look like Resonance is ON even though it’s OFF. All told, the Matrix does feel a bit sturdier. I’m less worried about it, at least.

The Matrix sounds great as well, but it requires some additional massaging:
  • Have the volume on the Matrix up around 1 o clock
  • Set the impedance curve (and you can only choose one, so if you’re running two cabs, you’ve got to compromise a bite)
  • Set the Output Type to SS PA + Cab
None of this is necessary, of course, but I still felt compelled to take those steps to get “the best experience”™. Once that’s all done, the Matrix hangs with the Fryette amps. It’s maybe a little more stiff, but no cause for dismissing it as a great power amp.

This has been a bit of a brain dump, and all on mobile at that. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Back
Top Bottom