post compression?

paranoid

Fractal Fanatic
I don't like compression in front because you loose the tube amp feel when lowering the volume which I do a lot. I never thought about putting it after the amp. Is this possible? has any one tried? I never thought about it because you would not put one in between your 100 watt and cabinet in the real world.

Yes, not a problem at all. It prevents spikes.
The effect is a little different but not too much.

Set the compressor type to Studio and place it after amp or cab.
Increase Level a little to compensate for volume loss.

Reactions: CCT
Thanks I'll give it a try. its hard to break from the old thinking some times. the axe does a lot more the amps and separate racks. never thought you could drive a low level effect with a power amp

Don't forget about the Out Comp setting in the Amp block. It works well for squeezing down the dynamic range of an amp without adding another block. The Multiband Compressor block is awesome after an amp for things like controlling the low end of a boomy or woofy sounding amp for things like heavy palm mutes and such without squishing the entire amp's tone. Works really well for recording.

The Multiband Compressor block is awesome after an amp for things like controlling the low end of a boomy or woofy sounding amp for things like heavy palm mutes and such without squishing the entire amp's tone. Works really well for recording.
That sounds great. Could you give some basic example settings to try that out? Assuming a fairly typical set up otherwise.

I had not noticed the amp comp settings(a little scared I guess) I try to only play with the first screen so I don't mess things up. but maybe I can try that with out messing it up to bad.

I don't like compression in front because you loose the tube amp feel when lowering the volume which I do a lot. I never thought about putting it after the amp. Is this possible? has any one tried? I never thought about it because you would not put one in between your 100 watt and cabinet in the real world.

You need to expand your thinking a bit IMO...

Using compression as an effect in front of an amp can sound great, and a tube amp still sounds like a tube amp with one. Gimour's HiWatt's certainly still responded like tube amps with a Dynacomp out in front....

Also, part of the beauty of the axe is that you can quickly and easily do things with routing that are difficult (but no impossible) in the "real world".

Compression as a guitar effect, vs studio effect are simply two different things. Try both and see which you like better, and then experiment moving it around, only takes a second and someones "wrong" can sound quite "right"

Yes, not a problem at all. It prevents spikes.
The effect is a little different but not too much.

Set the compressor type to Studio and place it after amp or cab.
Increase Level a little to compensate for volume loss.
Or set make up gain to on to compensate for volume loss. It works most of the time.

Back
Top Bottom