Post cab eq

Joe Bfstplk Wondering why take a block CPU hit when you can do that in the cab block?
The PEQ is in every preset anyway, as it has F/M correction bass and treble adjustments in it, which have a dedicated TallTimbers slider:
1102210919_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I've never quite understood reluctance to post eq a close mic'd IR. I've never encountered a situation where any IR couldn't be improved with Equalization, either subtle or extreme.

I've rejected IRs on first audition, only to find out later that they are amazing if equalised in a radical way. Unfortunately, it's seriously compounds the problem of searching for the best IRs, as it makes the process of elimination much slower.

Input gain set to 220hz, cab block 70-8000 and parametric eq set following leon todd method to refine the sound.. I use a rg 1527 7 strings

I've never quite understood reluctance to post eq a close mic'd IR. I've never encountered a situation where any IR couldn't be improved with Equalization, either subtle or extreme.

I've rejected IRs on first audition, only to find out later that they are amazing if equalised in a radical way. Unfortunately, it's seriously compounds the problem of searching for the best IRs, as it makes the process of elimination much slower.
Yeah, right, I never care for the outer ends of the IR, might it have massive lows or sharp highs, no matter, I don't care because I eq that away. What I'm after when searching through IR libraries is the voice in the mids and if it reminds me of a real cab. It's hard to ignore peaking highs though.

Interesting about shortening IR length, I was under the impression that longer was better, but I'll definitely give this a try.
Too short ain't good and everyones system is different. But for me 256 works really well.
I've hear some amps with built in IR capability having as short as 20 ms IR:s. I believe Pete Thorns Suhr signature amp has that.

I'm curious if most folks are using high and low cuts after the cab (or in the cab block)? It seems to me that the frequency response on the axe is extended a bit on both ends
I do hi/low cuts in the cab block if it sounds needed.
Maybe a purist thing as in the real world an unmic'd cab can't be eq'd except via room treatment, cab placement etc.

I do hi/low cuts in the cab block if it sounds needed.

Maybe a purist thing as in the real world an unmic'd cab can't be eq'd except via room treatment, cab placement etc.
That’s not quite true… You’re just not doing it post speaker. Many excellent guitarist have learned to use an EQ in front of the amplifier and improve their toanz immensely.

Of course there’s the tone stack- but that’s a different animal.

But the great majority of the tones we've all heard are recordings, which inherently involve mics.
Of course (and I'm not really in this camp and just speculating on possibilities here to answer steadystate who was wondering why people are averse to post cab eq) but some want to have a mic'd cab sound that's emulating an amp in the room - so if one is thinking this way he/she may be averse to putting an eq after the cab to avoid eq'ing room ambiance (fullres ir or cab room parm) that may be getting mixed in within the core cab tone in the cab block (real world placement). I'm still stuck to the thinking of a couple of years ago which is that a mic'd/frfr sound is one thing, and an intheroom sound is a completely different thing that requires a real cab intheroom but that's another whole can'o'worms.

That’s not quite true… You’re just not doing it post speaker. Many excellent guitarist have learned to use an EQ in front of the amplifier and improve their toanz immensely.

Of course there’s the tone stack- but that’s a different animal.
agreed - eq can be used effectively before the speaker - no doubt. - my point was that with a real un mic'd cab in the room, there is no way to eq it other than placement/room treatment (which is why my adventures with cab in the room have gotten very expensive over the years cuz I keep buying speakers and cabs to find the one I like best lol!).

I tried the shortening of the IR length and found Max or 512 worked best for me depending on the IR. The York Audio ones I found to favor Max and the factory ones 512.

I also found that I like DRIVE and SATURATION on 2 or 3 as well.

The journey continues....

I tried the shortening of the IR length and found Max or 512 worked best for me depending on the IR. The York Audio ones I found to favor Max and the factory ones 512.

+1 - all my patches are 512 IR length now - sounds best to me + has a cpu benefit..

Cool! What preamp do you prefer? I usually go with Tube, Transformer and FET II with drive up to 7 and saturation 6. Gives a nice character!

Back
Top Bottom