Possible to limit # of scenes accessible per patch?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
I'm trying to make it so that I can easily switch between two scenes so I don't have to remember which scene is "up" and which is "down."

I know with the Eventide H9, you can set it up so it only has, say, 3 presets. So you toggle through to the third one, hit the button again, you're back to 3. Is there a good way to do this with the Axe III?

Else, I can just have two scenes per preset and copy/paste the scenes so that no matter which button I press on my FCB1010, I hit the 'other' scene. I'm just wondering if I can limit the accessible range of scenes. Like, if I only have 2 scenes, why switch between all 8?

Thanks in advance!

Limit remote Scene Access is to be adressed on the remote control unit. Need just a Toogle between two scenes?

Set Switch to
TOGGLE
CC# = Scene Select
OFF value: 0 (selects scene 1)
ON value: 1 (selects scene 2)

Sorry; I'm still pretty new: so you're saying on the Axe III, there's a setting for toggling a switch? Or is this a function on the stock FCB1010?

I know I can do control changes on the FCB1010, but I don't know if toggle is one of them. I know that I just stumbled on a sort of toggle function for the tuner; basically, there are two control changes for one switch (presumably at the same time, although I'm not sure how MIDI or the Axe handles CC priorities); I push it once, it toggles the tuner on, I hit it again, it turns it off, even though both the CC messages to turn it on and off are being sent at the same.

Perhaps it ignores the signal if it's already active? That is, perhaps, if it's set to 127 (tuner on) then when I hit the switch again, even though I'm sending it 127 as well as 0, it only registers the 0 since it ignores the 127, and therefore turns the tuner off. Am I on the right track here?

I can try the same thing for the scene select and see if that works...

Thanks for helping me out!

Can you assign one switch to one scene and another to the next scene?
This way each switch is dedicated to each of the two scenes.

Last edited:
Can you assign one switch to one scene and another to the next scene?
This way each switch is dedicated to each of the two scenes.
I have learned how to assign a program change to switch to (for instance) patch 1, scene 3. Or another pedal to switch to patch 98, scene 8. I guess, now that I think about it, each pedal can send 6 program changes; so I could have the same pedal bounce between scenes. That is, I hit pedal 1 once, it changes to patch 1, scene 1. I hit it again, it changes to patch 1, scene 2.

But I wonder if that wouldn't just change scenes but also patches... That is, if it's not a message to JUST change scenes, then will it try to both reload the patch AND switch scenes, or will it ignore the patch change (redundant PC message, which I think there's an option for) and just do the scene change?

Man, this is literally the first time I've ever messed with MIDI in my 20+ year music career. It's both exciting and overwhelming :)

There should be a way to somewhat do what you are describing.
It will require a different switch for each message sent.
To do this you will need to map what scene your patch will go to (on the Axe).
I did this with the Axe II.

Just figured it out: Pretty simple with a small investment of time to program the mapping.

Go to:
Setup
Midi/Remote

On the general page turn mapping ON
Page over to Mapping
Here you will have to assign each program change preset number, and the scene it will go to when you select that preset.
So if PC 1 = 2 (to scene 1)
and PC 2 = 2 (to scene 4)
When you step on the switch that sends PC 1, it go to Patch 2, scene 1
When you step on the switch that sends PC 2, it go to Patch 2, scene 4

Last edited:
There should be a way to somewhat do what you are describing.
It will require a different switch for each message sent.
To do this you will need to map what scene your patch will go to (on the Axe).
I did this with the Axe II.
If you need help, PM me.
I appreciate it - I may hit you up.

But I know you can directly assign program changes - that is, make pedal 1 have program change 1, go to patch 1 scene 1. However, if I add a second program change to pedal 1 to make it go to patch 1 scene 2 (in effect, creating a toggle between two scenes on the same patch), will I in effect be changing patches AND scenes or just changing scenes? I think the Axe III's option for "ignore redundant PC" accounts for this but I'm not sure. I guess I'll just have to play with it and figure it out for sure :)

I really do appreciate your help :)

Your FCB would have to support toggle functionality.
No idea if it can do this.
Otherwise you need a different switch for each PC.

If I add a second program change to pedal 1 to make it go to patch 1 scene 2 (in effect, creating a toggle between two scenes on the same patch), will I in effect be changing patches AND scenes or just changing scenes?
When you map the Axe to go to preset 1 scene 1 and then preset 1 scene 2 all it is doing is changing scenes.

Last edited:
Your FCB would have to support toggle functionality.
No idea if it can do this.
Otherwise you need a different switch for each PC.
When you map the Axe to go to preset 1 scene 1 and then preset 1 scene 2 all it is doing is changing scenes.
It's funny; another thread mentioned this, and how "Ignore Redundant PC = ON" doesn't work. So at this point, I think it would still attempt to change both patch and scene, but once this bug is fixed, it should just change scenes. I think this little feature on the Axe is something that makes up for a board like mine not having an actual toggle function. Although, I'm still researching the UnO chip and deciding if I need it. I don't generally have too many needs when it comes to something as powerful as the Axe Fx III because, in a pinch, I can always just have individual sounds stored in individual presets mapped to individual pedals. I'm also not controlling 4 or 5 pieces of MIDI gear at once. Time will tell. Once I get a hang of the basic functionality, I may start thinking about all the "What if..."s and "Maybe if I..."s :)

It's funny; another thread mentioned this, and how "Ignore Redundant PC = ON" doesn't work. So at this point, I think it would still attempt to change both patch and scene, but once this bug is fixed, it should just change scenes. I think this little feature on the Axe is something that makes up for a board like mine not having an actual toggle function. Although, I'm still researching the UnO chip and deciding if I need it. I don't generally have too many needs when it comes to something as powerful as the Axe Fx III because, in a pinch, I can always just have individual sounds stored in individual presets mapped to individual pedals. I'm also not controlling 4 or 5 pieces of MIDI gear at once. Time will tell. Once I get a hang of the basic functionality, I may start thinking about all the "What if..."s and "Maybe if I..."s :)
Another option would be to use an external pedal like the Boss FS-6 - direct into the Axe.

Back
Top Bottom