Possible to Daisy Chain or Extend MIDI Controllers for Extra CC?

nojyeloot

Experienced
I've browsed through the AxeFX II Wiki's Controller/Modifiers section, and if the answer is there, I missed or didn't understand it :eek:ops.

I have a GCP and have it set up with the 4 presets & 8 CC settings for my AxeFX II. I'd like some expansion without jumping ship. So, is there a way to daisy chain, or extend (using phantom power) another 2 to 4 CC using something like the Voodoo Labs pedal switcher? (see pic)

I assume this is how the controllers would be routed? (I know the VL pedal switcher isn't phantom powerable)

MIDIexpansion.jpg

If this scenario would work, is there another small controller that would do the trick? Again, I'm only looking for an extra 2-4 CC expansion.

no I don't think this works the way you are thinking...

the pedal switcher is just a bunch of fx loops
I doubt the switches transmit MIDI

EDIT - it also looks like the Pedal Switcher provides [rather than receives] phantom power via the MIDI cable so that it can power a product called Commander

ommander looks like it can make the Pedal Switcher behave as though it had presets, allowing combinations of fx loops to be switched in via a single switch on Commander

If Ground Control + any external switches you can hook into it isn't enough, you need to look for a bigger / more capable floor controller

If Ground Control + any external switches you can hook into it isn't enough, you need to look for a bigger / more capable floor controller

I feared this would be the conclusion. If I make the move, it'll be for the MFC, no doubt. I was just hoping I could add on something in the interim.

Thanks clarky.

here's the thing with the MFC-101:

if you set it so all switches are for preset changes, you can still add 4 external switches [like a pair of Boss FS-6] to handle CC, and 4 pedals..
the MFC switches can also be split in a couple of combinations between preset switches and IA's

I think I recall M@ stating a while back that greater preset / IA switch configurablity may be on the way at some point too cos some of us have been asking to be able to have preset switches in the rear and IA switches on the front row..
my fingers are still crossed with respect to this one..

Now THAT is a good idea.

Shifting back to my GCP: Couldn't I get the Boss FS-6 to extend out of either of my GCP's pedal inputs, thus performing in the same function you just mentioned for the MFC?

the questions you need to answer from the GCP manual are:

- how many external switches can it support? I think it's just 2
- can they be config'd to specific CC / plus message type and values?

if you have an expression pedal jacked into the GCP, this will only give you room for one additional switch or pedal

thinking on it... 8 CC's is quite a lot..
are you trying to emulate a pedalboard style config??

Something you could consider: Use a small midi pedal such as the Rocktron midi x-change or the Tech 21 midi mouse into your GCP to the Axe. You would use the midi x-change/midi mouse to control presets on your GCP and the Axe, and you could then configure your GCP as 12 cc buttons. The name of the preset would still show up on your GCP.

In a way, I wanted to be talked out of extending my GCP, and I think you guys have succeeded in that with your wisdom. I wanted to see if something could work out, but it's really just made me think how I can trim the fat on my CC.

I'm thinking I should be just fine with this (once v9.0 comes out [with GCP scenes support]) and only expand control with expression pedals:

ground_control_pro.jpg

EDIT: Thanks for your advice guys :)

here's the thing with the MFC-101:

if you set it so all switches are for preset changes, you can still add 4 external switches [like a pair of Boss FS-6] to handle CC, and 4 pedals..
the MFC switches can also be split in a couple of combinations between preset switches and IA's...

In addition to what Clarky mentioned, you can also use the Reveal switch to expose all of the IA switches behind the Presets. So you could have 17 Preset switches and then click Reveal and get access to the 17 IA switches controlling Amp1/2 Amp1 X/Y, Drive 1/2, etc. Then click Reveal again and go back to your Presets.

Back
Top Bottom