Possible to control 2 Axe-FX IIIs at once with Axe-Edit?

No, I don't think you can do that with a single instance of Axe-Edit.

On Mac OS you should be able to run two separate versions of Axe-Edit, but the Finder will only let you launch one. The second instance will have to be launched from the command-line using open -n path/to/Axe-Edit.app and then you can connect the second instance to the second device.

The
-n flag means:

-n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running.

Keeping the two instances and the associated FX3 straight will be left as an exercise for the reader.

No, I don't think you can do that with a single instance of Axe-Edit.

On Mac OS you should be able to run two separate versions of Axe-Edit, but the Finder will only let you launch one. The second instance will have to be launched from the command-line using open -n path/to/Axe-Edit.app and then you can connect the second instance to the second device.

The
-n flag means:

-n Open a new instance of the application(s) even if one is already running.

Keeping the two instances and the associated FX3 straight will be left as an exercise for the reader.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-edit-2-axe-fx-iiis.141977/post-2126297

I was thinking about it and, because the editor wants to write to its settings file, it’s not a good candidate for running two copies at once as one instance could be partway through reading when the file got truncated or changed by the other one. The OS can protect against that with file locking but it could lead to confusing errors or a bad user experience, both something Apple tries really hard to avoid.

I do know that there are some ways to trick the OS to get it to allow more than one as we used to run multiple instances of some CLI networking apps at work, but it’s been years since I did that and now have other things that are shiny….

I did it with a couple of axe fx 2 xls and it was doable, but I had to run a batch file that changed the paths…. If you want I can look up the batch files, but it was too inconvenient to be fun.
Thanks
Pauly

I have a USB hub that has on/off switches on the ports. I turned off one Axe III's USB connection to leave the other active as I wanted to pop up the editor and make a change. I'm using OSX on a MacBook Pro. FWIW when I clicked the editor a window popped up asking me which Axe I wanted to choose. It showed the firmware versions and we are on 2 different firmwares so I knew which one to select. I made all the edits fine and closed the editor. Pulled up Fractal Bot and did a bank backup then turned the USB hub to the other Axe III back on.

I have a USB hub that has on/off switches on the ports. I turned off one Axe III's USB connection to leave the other active as I wanted to pop up the editor and make a change. I'm using OSX on a MacBook Pro. FWIW when I clicked the editor a window popped up asking me which Axe I wanted to choose. It showed the firmware versions and we are on 2 different firmwares so I knew which one to select. I made all the edits fine and closed the editor. Pulled up Fractal Bot and did a bank backup then turned the USB hub to the other Axe III back on.
The Axe Fx III can be "named" now so you can do that to know which one to choose.

I am noting that if the last connected AxeFX III is not present (or not On) the editor cannot be connected to the available AxeFx III without a reboot.

The menu option Tools->Available Devices is greyed out. Hoping this can be cleaned up - after all everyone should have at least two AxeFx III's right?

PS - probably no surprise to you if you're reading this, but the Cygnus AxeFx III is notably better - even for non-Fractal-enabled listeners - than the AxeFX II.

Are you using the FractalBot that is built in to Axe-Edit?

I don't have 2 so I can't comment...
I don't usually use the axe-edit FractalBot, but when I do, it picks the same axefx III as connected to axe-edit. It's just that FractalBot doesn't indicate what its connected to, even if you pull down menu's for the midi - it's just the midi number not the name of the unit.

The broader issue with Axe-edit is that if you have multiple AxeFx III's and their presets and cabs are not the same, you have to refresh those on each switch in order for axe-edit to work correctly & display proper information.

I tried installing a 32bit version in addition to the 64bit but I still can't run two Axe-edits in tandem.

The broader issue with Axe-edit is that if you have multiple AxeFx III's and their presets and cabs are not the same, you have to refresh those on each switch in order for axe-edit to work correctly & display proper information.
This issue is there even with 1 Axe Fx... That's why the default behavior for startup is up scan all preset and IR slots.

This issue is there even with 1 Axe Fx... That's why the default behavior for startup is up scan all preset and IR slots.
yes for sure.

It might be possible to add a flag to each preset and cab slot to denote "edited" whenever these are altered outside of Axe-Edit III. Then only the changed slot info would need to be transferred to Axe-Edit.

I'll try the batch file swaps to try and keep two AxeFx III's data separate and if that isn't fit, I guess I just use my notebook to edit one and workstation to edit the other. (Windows 10 here). If only Axe-Edit didn't block a second instance...

** OK - so this is possible, but may be a little tricky for some folks. I'm on Windows 10 btw.

The settings file is in the user profile e.g. C:\Users\Robin\AppData\Roaming\Fractal Audio\Axe-Edit III\.
This file has human readable text and has a setting <VALUE name="ALLOW_MORE_THAN_ONE" val="0"/>
Changing this "0" to a "1" allows a 2nd instance of the editor to load, although the setting was reset after I ran the 2nd instance<?>.

Hope I'm not overreaching or breaking any rules by sharing this - obviously the usual caveats apply that this is not a supported method at this time, unknown chaos may ensue - just did it now - not really tested or wrung out yet

But what it does indicate is that there is the potential to have two instances running - but it is important to have a separate path to the config files and caches for each running instance to keep the data separate for each Axe Fx III.... also looks possible to direct each instance to a specific unit, although they are identified apparently by the Midi name e.g. <VALUE name="MIDI_IN" val="3- Axe-Fx III MIDI In"/>

Anyway - please take with grain of salt as I'm guessing a good bit but see some light at the end of this tunnel.

Back
Top Bottom