Possible phase alignment problem with CLR

Stadanko

Inspired
Hey all,

Just got a couple of CLR wedges. The only hitch so far is that they sound out of phase with each other when running the cab sim and distorted tones. Strangely they sound fine when running my bass and clean tones. I can even get amazing tones(clean and bass) with no speaker sim at all.

I will say these speakers sound good.

Just not sure about the phase issue. Again seems to be only when running saturation with cab sim on. They sound fine one at a time under all conditions, which made me think I was having a phase issue.

I'll contact Tom too, but thought I'd try here in case it might be an Axe thing.

is it phase inverted or just a little detuned feeling?

for detuned problem: i feel the same thing on my monitors and CLR, try to adjust some 0.002 to 0.004 ms delay in the cab block
The CLR is very flat, clear and powerful and the little defaults are heard

Last edited:
Hey all,

Just got a couple of CLR wedges. The only hitch so far is that they sound out of phase with each other when running the cab sim and distorted tones. Strangely they sound fine when running my bass and clean tones. I can even get amazing tones(clean and bass) with no speaker sim at all.

I will say these speakers sound good.

Just not sure about the phase issue. Again seems to be only when running saturation with cab sim on. They sound fine one at a time under all conditions, which made me think I was having a phase issue.

I'll contact Tom too, but thought I'd try here in case it might be an Axe thing.

I would run the output of the AxeFx into a DAW and check the phase there if you can.

Some of the stereo efx blocks will add phase differences on purpose. Also there are some subtle things like a two amp preset with one amp using a drive in front and the other not that bring in subtle latency issues that can cause out of phase audio.

Thanks All!

Phase is normal all around in the I/O setting. I have them about 4 ft apart. I varied the distance for test of course. They are run from ouput 1 1/4". I a using instrument cables at the moment, so I'll try some xlr.

I will definitely try running through my RME next. And of course I will build a preset from scratch to be sure. The presets I'm running are straight amp and cab sim with nothing else. Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated:eagerness:

I spoke with Tom this morning and if in the of chance there is a problem, he'll take care of it on his end.

Lots to try still, so I'll report any interesting findings as I go.

They do sound awesome! I was hoping to get rid of my Mesa and Engl cabs. It may happen.....

Last edited:
Can you post the preset, and list the settings in I/O > Audio?

when you run both, are you running a different IR to each speaker?
that has caused phase issues for me in the past.

Last edited:
Would also recommend playing music through both at the same time. If no phase issue....then the issue is with your patch.

+1 on the different IR's that are causing the phasing problems. IIRC all the Redwirez are phase aligned for each other as are the Ownhammer but a mix of various ones may cause some undesireables. If your own IR isn't phase aligned with a different IR then that could be the problem.

Been with them all day in ICU :ugeek

I think I'm sorted. Appears to have been cables. I'm running into my RMEFF800 and the monitors work fine. Still don't know exactly what caused that, but I was running the IR's like Scott with pan at center and 2 at once. Haven't seen any phase issues between IR's yet. will mention if I do.

Running them parallel with my studio monitors is very interesting. I've heard people talk of how they compare to Genelcs and the like. I find tat they do have a flatness to them but not as much clarity as my Dynaudio BM15's and Tannoy 10s subs. I think my system may be a bit scooped because the CLR's kind of fill in the mids. Good to know.

They are definitely well voiced for guitar. just digging in really, but I'm using a matrix1000 running into a mesa 4X12 with 2 v30's, a black shadow, and a G12H30 for reference. I love that cab. I'm sure it will dial it in more and more as time goes on, but off to a great start!

The goal is to sell off the matrix and cabs, but that will take some time. Haven't gone straight into the Axe with the montiors again, but I'll report if anything is still off.

Thanks Seb.

I'll try that. Just downloaded it, could be useful in the future. I'm getting great gain tones. Now I'm wrestling with the gain staging between clean and high gain.

Glad to have my Mesa and GTX1000 for reference. I get an amazing cleans out of my Mesa: tons of punch,sparkle and clarity. I'm clipping the input with cleans on the CLR due to the lack of compression as opposed to the high gain stuff. So when I turn down the input of course I don't get the amplitude unless I pump up the master. The catch is that I introduce a lot more signal noise which is kind of annoying in the studio. I'm sure this is not an issue playing live. My Matrix and Mesa don't have this issue. I don't like to compress my cleans too much. Part of the fun is having all of that dynamic content and control.

A work in progress of course.:topsy_turvy:

Last edited:
OK I thin a final update for this thread. F$*%cken Bitchen:mrgreen.. Got the levels dialed. Now its just endless hours of A/B/A/B/A/B/....These do not disappoint...its tough though, the Matrix is also an excellent product and sounds fantastic through the Mesa. Need the space though.:indecisiveness: Not a bad place to be.

Back
Top Bottom