Possible Pedal Calibration Bug

ssmorga78

Experienced
I have noticed that I am not the only one having an issue with expression pedal calibration. Is it possible that the calibration process is not saving the calibrating process? When I try to calibrate any expression pedal that does not have a full 0 - 100 sweep on the screen, it does not adjust anything when finalizing. Is the calibration process in the AX8 not suppose to act just like the calibration process in the MFC? For example, in the MFC, when you calibrate a pedals range of motion, for instance a range of 0-96 when calibrating minimum and maximum, and save it....then go and assign that expression pedal to a function like Volume block level, when you open the control window and move the expression pedal between min and max it gives you the full range of motion. Well, when you do the calibration process with the AX8, and then go in to assign that expression pedal and open the control window you only get the same range of motion that was displayed in the Calibration window, for example...if the pedal had a range during calibration of 0 - 52, when you get to the control window you only have a sweep from 0 - 52 instead of it being adjusted to use the expression pedals sweep through the full value of the controller. Is this how the AX8 is suppose to work? Because so far, the only pedal I have found that has a full 0 - 100 is the EV-1.

I also noticed the other day when I was setting mine up, but was doing so quickly and put it down to user error. I haven't revisited it since, but same experience as you.

Hi guys,

I just tried the process you describe. I'm using a Boss expression pedal.
I calibrated the pedal (PEDAL 4). I note that the high end of its range is 0.88.
I exit the setup menu and assign the modifier (EXT4) to a volume parameter and it shows the full range of motion.
The dot in the graph moves across 100% of the range.

Is your issue reproducible? If so, can you provide an exact, fully-detailed, step-by-step process?

Calibration in the AX8 is not at all like that process in the MFC. (It's better in my opinion.)

Hi guys,

I just tried the process you describe. I'm using a Boss expression pedal.
I calibrated the pedal (PEDAL 4). I note that the high end of its range is 0.88.
I exit the setup menu and assign the modifier (EXT4) to a volume parameter and it shows the full range of motion.
The dot in the graph moves across 100% of the range.

Is your issue reproducible? If so, can you provide an exact, fully-detailed, step-by-step process?

Calibration in the AX8 is not at all like that process in the MFC. (It's better in my opinion.)

I can shoot a quick video this evening when I get back home from work. I went into the setup menu, then went to the I/O menu, paged over to Pedal Tab, then scrolled down to the pedal that I wanted to calibrate (in my case it was pedal 2 & 3), I hit enter to get into the calibration page. The page says to move the pedal through the full range of motion and when done, hit enter when finished. I moved the pedal through its full range a few times (the 2 in question go from 0 - 52) and after moving through its range I hit enter. Then I exited out of the Setup screens and went back to my presets layout to assign that pedal to a function. The first one I did was Delay Mix %. I went in to the control window, selected external 2 and tried moving it to see the range.....all I got was a range of 0 - 50%.
Did I do something wrong when calibrating? Did I miss a step?

It looks like you've done everything correctly. Maybe it has to do with the particular pedal or type of pedal you're using? I just tried three types (Roland, Mission, dB Audio) and I can't get this to happen. Please do share a video as I cannot reproduce this.

It looks like you've done everything correctly. Maybe it has to do with the particular pedal or type of pedal you're using? I just tried three types (Roland, Mission, dB Audio) and I can't get this to happen. Please do share a video as I cannot reproduce this.

Will do. Now, I don't have to hold Enter for any length of time do it? Just press it once after I go through the full range of motion, correct? Also, just to make sure I am doing this correctly, by going through the full range of motion we are talking about moving the pedal through its full motion a couple of times and then pressing enter....I don't have to move it from minimum to maximum one time and then press enter when it is on it max value do i?

Ok, we'll I don't know what was going on last night, but I get home tonight.....fire up the AX8....get the camera out and start rolling film as I go through calibrating the pedals.....yeah, they all work perfectly now. So thanks @Admin M@ for swinging by my house and fixing it before I got home from work. That's EXCELLENT customer service!

When calibrating pedals I find that the full sweep of the pedal goes to some value between 80-100

However, when assigning the pedal to an expression function, the pedal performs from 0-100 (depending on expression function) as normal.

I didn't take too much stock in the calibration, as long as everything works. This is for the Roland rV-5, mission control ep pedals and Ernie ball volume pedals.

Hi Matt, I'll give this a go when I get home tonight and report back.

Here's what I noticed. First thing to note though is that I've 'fudged' one of my EV-1s, so it has rubber stoppers at either end of the pedal to reduce the throw (I use it only for Wah - long story, happy to point u to the thread if you're bored). I calibrated the pedal, in the same way as the OP, and the display showed it had a range of something like 30-80. Pressed Enter and came out.

When I then use a preset with Wah, after moving the pedal to engage the wah and then rocking it back to the minimum position, it had not returned the tone to 'no wah'. Checking the modifier screen on the AX8, you can see from the graph that it hasn't returned to zero when the pedal is all the way back and the wah remains 'cocked'.

Will post back later when I get home. Obviously, I could just remove the stoppers from the EV-1 and I'm sure it would be fine, but it would be good to work out what's going on!

Sukh

I'm actually experiencing this same issue. I have a Mission pedal, and I am only able to get to 80 percent of the range within the calibration. Viewing the sweep in the Wah block, I am only getting up to the same range. It won't sweep 100 percent of the range. I had another volume pedal that I tried as well that was actually much worse. It was only sweeping through a total of 50 percent of the range in calibration and the wah block.

Ok, we'll I don't know what was going on last night, but I get home tonight.....fire up the AX8....get the camera out and start rolling film as I go through calibrating the pedals.....yeah, they all work perfectly now. So thanks @Admin M@ for swinging by my house and fixing it before I got home from work. That's EXCELLENT customer service!
is there a chance that you weren't pressing Enter after calibrating the pedals when you posted the thread? and now that it works properly, were you pressing Enter after?

FWIW, I definitely was pressing Enter after going through the calibration.
totally guessing here, but i think the minimum values of pedals aren't treated the same as max values. i've had pedals that the max was anywhere from 106 to 118 (vs 127), yet the minimums were almost always 0.

either that, or because the pedal isn't "really" at its min/max due to the stopper, somehow the calibration isn't working...? no clue how that stuff actually functions. but just my thoughts. (got stuck on the forum after doing some official stuff, returning to radio silence now!)

totally guessing here, but i think the minimum values of pedals aren't treated the same as max values. i've had pedals that the max was anywhere from 106 to 118 (vs 127), yet the minimums were almost always 0.

either that, or because the pedal isn't "really" at its min/max due to the stopper, somehow the calibration isn't working...? no clue how that stuff actually functions. but just my thoughts. (got stuck on the forum after doing some official stuff, returning to radio silence now!)

Could well be buddy and, as I said, all I need to do is remove the stoppers and I'm sure my world won't fall apart. On the MFC and Axe FX, I was able to calibrate the pedal perfectly this way, with the stoppers in place, so something is definitely not working in the same way when calibrating on the AX8.

May be useful for our friends at FAS to be aware of though, in case others have similar issues. Will report back later!

Ok, I definitely was NOT hitting enter after calibration doh! Now I can get full sweep in the wah block :) Thanks fellas! Which leads me to another question. I saw this in the wiki, but I still can't get this working....

I have a mission SP-2. I want to use this to switch between the wah and pitch(whammy) blocks when selecting the switch on the pedal. My mission pedal rests in the down position, rather than the up position ( it's loose ). It seem's I can get it to engage for the whammy, but it never actually turns off. It just stays on in the down/resting position. I assume possibly my auto-engage is not working properly. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Ok, I definitely was NOT hitting enter after calibration doh! Now I can get full sweep in the wah block :) Thanks fellas! Which leads me to another question. I saw this in the wiki, but I still can't get this working....

I have a mission SP-2. I want to use this to switch between the wah and pitch(whammy) blocks when selecting the switch on the pedal. My mission pedal rests in the down position, rather than the up position ( it's loose ). It seem's I can get it to engage for the whammy, but it never actually turns off. It just stays on in the down/resting position. I assume possibly my auto-engage is not working properly. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Adjust the "off" position to be at 95% rather than 5% (by default). This is found in the controller menu.

I would also play with the damping value so the whammy disengages in a more natural/slower way if you don't want the whammy to abruptly turn off in the toe down position

is there a chance that you weren't pressing Enter after calibrating the pedals when you posted the thread? and now that it works properly, were you pressing Enter after?

Yes, I was pressing Enter after I calibrated the pedals. The way that I know I was pressing Enter is because I tried to calibrate them literally around 9-10x's each to see what was going on. And when I say that I fired them up and everything was working fine..... I didn't even recalibrate them because they were working properly when I went into the Calibration mode and the Control window's. I have no idea what was going one or what in the world happened Monday night.

Back
Top Bottom