Possible limiter/ceiling problem

MetalGarret

Inspired

Testing out a new mix for an upcoming project. I feel like I'm close to what I want here. Drums are great. Guitar is aggressive and roaring. The bass I have a hard time judging because I don't have a subwoofer to go with my BX5a monitors. So it's near impossible to mix the low end until I get one. But right now, I need someone to tell me if there's any "pumping" happening with the whole mix. I got everything bussed to a mix bus that's output is the main stereo LR out. On the mix bus, I have a Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Console. It has a compressor and a limiter on it but I'm only using the limiter (using a renaissance compressor for "glueing" to mix together.) I get the loudness up to a level that's loud but doesn't sound like any harm is being done to my dynamics. At least, not through my monitors. But when I play the track on my computer speakers (2.1 speakers w/ sub woofer) The mix sounds great but there's a pumping sensation I can hear prominently at the 00:30 sec mark. But I only hear it through those speakers. Not my BX5a's or even my sound system in my car.

I need to know if I'm crazy or not. Can you hear the pumping on your end?

Hi there,
I hear no pumping (CLR) but I cut a little bit a little under 250Hz on both channels and the mix got a lot more clarity. I don't have the exact frequency as I used a semi parametric EQ on my mixer to do the cut.

It could be that the buildup in that region kicks in a protection on your computer speakers or simply they cannot handle the energy there.

Hi there,
I hear no pumping (CLR) but I cut a little bit a little under 250Hz on both channels and the mix got a lot more clarity. I don't have the exact frequency as I used a semi parametric EQ on my mixer to do the cut.

It could be that the buildup in that region kicks in a protection on your computer speakers or simply they cannot handle the energy there.
Thanks! How much did you cut? How hi or low Q? Having a hard time judging that area.

According to the manual of the mixer Q is 1.8. I cut a little less than 3 dB and the freq was between 200 and 250 more or less.

I appreciate this. Thanks! It does sound more clearer. That muddiness is probably the bass' fault. I can't hear it well unless I have a sub woofer.

Back
Top Bottom