• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Possible limiter/ceiling problem

MetalGarret

Inspired

Testing out a new mix for an upcoming project. I feel like I'm close to what I want here. Drums are great. Guitar is aggressive and roaring. The bass I have a hard time judging because I don't have a subwoofer to go with my BX5a monitors. So it's near impossible to mix the low end until I get one. But right now, I need someone to tell me if there's any "pumping" happening with the whole mix. I got everything bussed to a mix bus that's output is the main stereo LR out. On the mix bus, I have a Slate Digital FG-X Mastering Console. It has a compressor and a limiter on it but I'm only using the limiter (using a renaissance compressor for "glueing" to mix together.) I get the loudness up to a level that's loud but doesn't sound like any harm is being done to my dynamics. At least, not through my monitors. But when I play the track on my computer speakers (2.1 speakers w/ sub woofer) The mix sounds great but there's a pumping sensation I can hear prominently at the 00:30 sec mark. But I only hear it through those speakers. Not my BX5a's or even my sound system in my car.

I need to know if I'm crazy or not. Can you hear the pumping on your end?

GiRa

Forum Addict
Hi there,
I hear no pumping (CLR) but I cut a little bit a little under 250Hz on both channels and the mix got a lot more clarity. I don't have the exact frequency as I used a semi parametric EQ on my mixer to do the cut.

It could be that the buildup in that region kicks in a protection on your computer speakers or simply they cannot handle the energy there.

MetalGarret

Inspired
Hi there,
I hear no pumping (CLR) but I cut a little bit a little under 250Hz on both channels and the mix got a lot more clarity. I don't have the exact frequency as I used a semi parametric EQ on my mixer to do the cut.

It could be that the buildup in that region kicks in a protection on your computer speakers or simply they cannot handle the energy there.
Thanks! How much did you cut? How hi or low Q? Having a hard time judging that area.

GiRa

Forum Addict
According to the manual of the mixer Q is 1.8. I cut a little less than 3 dB and the freq was between 200 and 250 more or less.

MetalGarret

Inspired
I appreciate this. Thanks! It does sound more clearer. That muddiness is probably the bass' fault. I can't hear it well unless I have a sub woofer.

Top Bottom