Possible help with tinnitus?

A friend, who has major tinnitus after years of working in road crews for major acts, posted to Facebook yesterday that she got new hearing aids that come with an app that generates white noise and retrains her brain. She said for the first time in years she is free of the ringing.

She said the audiologist specializes in tinnitus and it was a happy coincidence she ran into him.

I’m going to try to find out more. It might be the app mentioned in that article. I seriously doubt that the app mentioned is sufficient to fix the problem by itself since the article mentioned headphones and talking with a clinician.

Last edited:
A friend, who has major tinnitus after years of working in road crews for major acts, posted to Facebook yesterday that she got new hearing aids that come with an app that generates white noise and retrains her brain. She said for the first time in years she is free of the ringing.

She said the audiologist specializes in tinnitus and it was a happy coincidence she ran into him.

I’m going to try to find out more. It might be the app mentioned in that article. I seriously doubt that the app mentioned is sufficient to fix the problem by itself since the article mentioned headphones and talking with a clinician.
Appreciate the info - my T seems to be getting steadily worse - reluctantly, I'm gonna have to take the plunge on hearing aids soon. I'm really hoping there is something that allows some significant level of control myself, rather than going back and forth to an aidiologist trying to comminicate "l'll higher here", "l'll lower there"...

Appreciate the info - my T seems to be getting steadily worse - reluctantly, I'm gonna have to take the plunge on hearing aids soon. I'm really hoping there is something that allows some significant level of control myself, rather than going back and forth to an aidiologist trying to comminicate "l'll higher here", "l'll lower there"...
My significant other got a pair at Costco that she loves. They are very easily adjusted by the audiologist, the first time, then she has a number of controls she can adjust for her own comfort using the accessibility controls on her iPhone. The things she loves most is she can route phone calls to them, or her music or the audio of movies, and, in theaters, she can tap into a broadcast they have in-house and it routes the PA to her ears where she can adjust the volume to her liking. They're by Philips if I remember right.

I'm glad that I've found this thread but I'm sorry so many people suffer from tinnitus. I'm currently experiencing it and sometimes it drives me nuts. I've already looked through various forums and blogs. Today I read about sound therapy. Did anyone try it? Was it helpful?

I saw a video about a new therapy they are starting to do but it looks to be really expensive. It gives an audio sound along with a small electric shock type of therapy. They say it helps remap the brain to eliminate the tinnitus. This seems to still be fairly new and the machines that are used for it are expensive. I haven't found anything that really worked for me. My brother got his under control with hearing aids.

Where this is kind of hitting home right now is that my doctor was talking to me about sending me for a test that is a more in depth scan than a stress test. It is going to cost me some money out of pocket because my insurance doesn't cover it so I have been dragging my feet on it a bit. I plan on discussing that with him next week at my appointment as well. After some of the things posted in this thread, I have more to bring up next week.
I didn't realize that I posted about his test a year ago. I ended up getting the test in early February this year. That caused me to have to go in for an emergency heart surgery that was over 2.5 hours long.. I am glad I did the test but it kind of turned my world upside down a bit. I guess what happened is a lot better than the heart attack or stroke I was headed for. Nothing new on the tinnitus front.

I didn't realize that I posted about his test a year ago. I ended up getting the test in early February this year. That caused me to have to go in for an emergency heart surgery that was over 2.5 hours long.. I am glad I did the test but it kind of turned my world upside down a bit. I guess what happened is a lot better than the heart attack or stroke I was headed for. Nothing new on the tinnitus front.
curious how the test for tinnitus ended up leading to heart surgery - what was the connection there?

curious how the test for tinnitus ended up leading to heart surgery - what was the connection there?
The post that I put my original reply on said that his wife was having tests because the doctor said it could be related to a vascular issue. The test I have was for getting better visibility into vascular issues. They found an issue that they felt needed immediate attention and I was in getting surgery within the week. It has honestly done nothing for my tinnitus but I am still here to discuss it. I have no idea how long it would have been before I had an issue serious enough that I may not still be here to discuss it but they were moving fast so my guess it that it wasn't far off.

I'm glad that I've found this thread but I'm sorry so many people suffer from tinnitus. I'm currently experiencing it and sometimes it drives me nuts. I've already looked through various forums and blogs. Today I read about sound therapy. Did anyone try it? Was it helpful?
@Kerni - Your best option is via an appropriate clinical route. It's multi-causal (e.g. ^ which has a possible vascular component) and a trained consultant can possibly identify a specific issue. Or not. BUT your best chance if it's not too bad (rather difficult to measure this.... I don't have VU meters built into my head:grinning:) is "habituation" where if you can get more comfortable with it your brain will slowly cancel it out to at least some degree. Worst thing is to stress about it (and read forum posts like this :laughing:) or do stuff to remind you about it as the focus just makes it seem louder.
Best wishes to anybody with this "musicians curse" and maybe one day a definitive fix.

Just read this today and thought it might help some of you that posted here. Mine is mild - more intermittent and not really intrusive yet. But if it gets worse or more constant I will seek out this therapy too.

New Tinnitus Therapy Can Quiet Torturous Ringing in the Ears:​

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...rapy-can-quiet-torturous-ringing-in-the-ears/
Interesting info - mine is bad now, particularly at night - always looking for explanations as to why it happens and possible treatments.

yup - with breakfast / lunch / dinner - do you think quitting coffee (one of my few enjoyed vices in life 😳) would reduce it?
Same here, morning, around 10:00 a.m., then again at 2:00 p.m. I stopped drinking my afternoon coffee for a while and it really helped with the ringing in the evening and at night. It's there in the morning, but not as bad. It's likely louder in the evening, when things are quieter and it's more noticeable. Caffeine is definitely a known trigger and I'm guessing there's a cumulative affect as well, which is another reason it's worse late in the day.

Try eliminating the third coffee and see if it helps. I was going to stop drinking my afternoon coffee, but it's hard to. I like it too much! lol

Back
Top Bottom