Possible help with tinnitus?

My wife got tinnitus from the COVID vaccine. Out of the blue last year she developed tinnitus. Went to see doctors, they couldn't figure out what caused it. They thought maybe an infection, etc. Gave her some steroids. Didn't help.

Then I got a news feed about "Vaccine induced tinnitus". I asked her when her tinnitus started and sure enough it was right after getting the vaccine.
I had the exact same experience ..Around 3 weeks after the second Moderna shot . Audiologists could not do anything but prescribe hearing aids to alleviate some of the symptoms. My GP told me that some of his patients experienced partial deafness and/or Bell's Palsy symptoms ..

Last edited:
My tinnitus also developed after getting the covid vaccine and the intensity increased after the booster. It has since decreased in intensity a bit (roughly six months later). I recognize that it may not be related though.

Obviously tinnitus can be extremely distracting and cause insomnia. I am very fortunate however, that I am able to fall asleep very quickly after ingesting magnesium. I've been using magnesium before bed for years and I am always asleep within 10 minutes of laying down. I had struggled with insomnia before finding that magnesium makes me tired. I had also tried melatonin but it was not a long term solution.

Anyway, for those of you that struggle with insomnia due to the ringing in your ears, you might want to try Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium, (100% Chelated) tablets before bed. Of course, I am not a Doctor, this is an anecdotal type recommendation. Magnesium is a basic supplement so hopefully this recommendation doesn't violate a forum policy.

I have another friend that had insomnia and he tried the magnesium and gratefully reported back that it worked for him as well. I can't say if any other brand or type of magnesium would or wouldn't work. I know this has worked for me every night for several years now.

(Also, fwiw, I actually break the tablets roughly into 1/4s and just take a quarter tablet)

Last edited:
My tinnitus also developed after getting the covid vaccine and the intensity increased after the booster. It has since decreased in intensity a bit (roughly six months later). I recognize that it may not be related though.

Obviously tinnitus can be extremely distracting and cause insomnia. I am very fortunate however, that I am able to fall asleep very quickly after ingesting magnesium. I've been using magnesium before bed for years and I am always asleep within 10 minutes of laying down. I had struggled with insomnia before finding that magnesium makes me tired. I had also tried melatonin but it was not a long term solution.

Anyway, for those of you that struggle with insomnia due to the ringing in your ears, you might want to try Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium, (100% Chelated) tablets before bed. Of course, I am not a Doctor, this is an anecdotal type recommendation. Magnesium is a basic supplement so hopefully this recommendation doesn't violate a forum policy.

I have another friend that had insomnia and he tried the magnesium and gratefully reported back that it worked for him as well. I can't say if any other brand or type of magnesium would or wouldn't work. I know this has worked for me every night for several years now.

(Also, fwiw, I actually break the tablets roughly into 1/4s and just take a quarter tablet)
Magnesium also helps me sleep and relax my muscles.

I had the same problem for a long time and then my friend recommended me to try hearing aids which helps from tinnitus. I gave it a shot and they're lifesavers. I got rid of my problem and it feels amazing. If you are familiar with this problem, I can recommend you this hearing aid store.

Hi Mitch,

I'd like to know more about this.

What is the process like?

Do you continue to wear the hearing aid or did you eventually get rid of the tinnitus with this treatment?

Someone suggested I try Niacin which you can get at most stores. You need to start with a low dose and build up as it causes flushing. My tinnitus is pretty quiet to start with but this did help make it even quieter. Also, Niacin is similar to some cholesterol meds so talk to a doctor first.
Check with your doctor before trying niacin, but starting out with taking 325mg, up to 650mg of Aspirin with the niacin reduces the flushing side effect. Aspirin is a medication where you do NOT want to buy a generic or store brand. Buy Bayer, Anacin, etc. Reason? The store and generic brands sell cheaper because they get the raw chemicals from a supplier (e.g., Monsanto) at a lower cost as it ages. Aspirin breaks down to salicylic acid and other chemicals, which severely irritate the stomach. You may have opened a bottle of cheaper brand aspirin and got a wiff of acetic acid. (If you try it don't get your nose too close or breathe it in robustly, it is quite an unpleasant sensation you will get up your nasal passage.

The had pretty disappointing results in the FX232 trials, now they seem to go for a new formulation likely to get deeper in the cochlea, FX345. I wonder what could be the actual effect on T, once your brain has learnt the paths to it, you kind of need to re program it.

This lady has been working on a device to precisely reprogram those neuronal paths:

https://innovation.medicine.umich.edu/portfolio_post/shore/

I guess eventually there will be not one but many treatments, and maybe using a combination of them patients will get some relief.

Until that happens, let's drink, my red wine glass is always with me after work :)

My wife got tinnitus from the COVID vaccine. Out of the blue last year she developed tinnitus. Went to see doctors, they couldn't figure out what caused it. They thought maybe an infection, etc. Gave her some steroids. Didn't help.

Then I got a news feed about "Vaccine induced tinnitus". I asked her when her tinnitus started and sure enough it was right after getting the vaccine.
My ears are getting progressively worse. I did not get vaccinated but I have had the virus at least twice. My left ear is now the worst that it has ever been. I now have a roaring in it when in a room close to people talking or gigging at moderate volumes mainly low end freqs. I have to use ear plugs or it really hurts.

I now have a roaring in it when in a room close to people talking or gigging at moderate volumes mainly low end freqs. I have to use ear plugs or it really hurts.
For me, silence is the worst since all I hear then is the tinnitus - noisy crowded rooms (ie busy restaurant) cover it up so are like an escape from the noise in my head, but very loud noise (ie loud guitar) can hurt / make the tinnitus worse.

For me, silence is the worst since all I hear then is the tinnitus - noisy crowded rooms (ie busy restaurant) cover it up so are like an escape from the noise in my head, but very loud noise (ie loud guitar) can hurt / make the tinnitus worse.
Yup! Up until last year my tinnitus was very mild and had the same symptoms you describe. Now the ringing in both ears are a lot worse and any exposure to any noise above 90dB makes them ring pretty bad and the left ear roars and hurts with any lowend volume.

I'm looking for some kind of fix or relief through diet change or supplement might be wishful thinking but at this point I have nothing to lose but the rest of my hearing.

Well, in my experience medical aid with Tinnitus is, for the most part, useless. Most of the times when you talk to them you just get a compassionate look and that "you'll have to learn to live with it" advice. Many (most in my experience) orthopedists know nothing about somatic tinnitus, like many nearo surgeons.

My tinnitus is not too bad. I don't think much about it most of the time. Of course, I am right now :)

I sure would like some absolute silence every so often - but that's never going to happen.

My tinnitus is not too bad. I don't think much about it most of the time. Of course, I am right now :)

I sure would like some absolute silence every so often - but that's never going to happen.
Mine, had for as long as I can remember... As odd as it sounds, I can choose to acknowledge it to relax a little - kinda like fan noise. But, much like your good-self, unless I'm acknowledging it, my brain works around it and I'm not that aware of it. Doesn't bother me. I'm stuck with it.. Made my peace with it, and will use it on occasion. I think, for me, absolute silence would be too loud, in itself. :0)

My tinnitus has been getting worse and I have not been gigging or doing anything with loud noises for at least 3 years now. I have tried many supplements that supposedly help it. None have helped. I feel like I have determined that my stress level from work has something to do with it. When I have a stressful week it seems to set it off and make it worse. It was really going off last night when I went to bed. I have been thinking about trying to get some help with it or see someone about it. I seem to have some symptoms that others don't have. I know a good number of people that have this issue. My brother found relief with hearing aids. I tried his and it didn't seem to do much of anything for me.

My wife found this vid on the relationship of insulin and tinnitus.

Eric is someone that I watch often. I tried the supplements that he has recommended and it didn't do anything for me. I thought this one may have some meaning for me since diabetes runs in my family. I don't have it but thought it could be a factor.

Back
Top Bottom