Possible help with tinnitus?

As far as I know around 50, my age, it is normal not to hear it. I am watching TV now, a show in English, and I can understand everything at 49-51 dB, even not being my mother language, so that is enough for me, besides, we are cutting the guitar sounds well below that so WTF 😬

My T is 95% somatic, the days I have little neck pain I have almost none, the days it does hurt, can be a bitch. For those I have red wine.
Yeah... somatic reasons are often a background for Tinnitus....or other problems with hearing. I work in a childrens home ( now for 33 years ) , maybe I heard too much problems of the clients over the years..... these things can definetely be a reason, no joke ! And children can
be awful loud... Too much pressure on the job can also be a reason for these problems. I had a a collegue with Tinnitus... he got another job
and the Tinnitus was gone. Completely !!

My tinnitus sits at the 12k mark and will vary in intensity. Sometimes it's just a background noise 40-50db other times it's a full blown ring in one ear that makes me wince it's so loud as if someone squeezed off a round next to me ear then it slowly fades away.

I have been trying to manage it through diet and testing with GABA. My left ear is the dominant problem though I do have it both ears. Eliminating soft drinks and foods that have a ton of crap like fructose corn syrup and sugars and words I can't pronounce in them coupled with taking GABA seems to curb it. It doesn't make t go away completely but it does reduce the amount of ringing.

If anyone is going to try taking GABA start out with small amounts as it has been reported to make you a little dizzy when taking a full over the counter doses of 750mg. I have been taking 100mg doses twice a day and havent had any sort of problems. I am thinking of upping the dosage to see if it makes any difference.

Wow! That really aggravated my tinnitus. I have a tone at that 12k frequency. I also have one that is a little under 3k. I haven't tried to specifically identify it but heard a 3k tone and it was just a little above the one I hear. I have a third tone in there at times but am not sure where it is. I have been able to set in a quiet room and focus on it and can hear at least to and at times three. The strange thing for me is that I can still hear a good frequency range for my age. I am in my late 50's and still hear high stuff. I was worried about doing live mixing because of the ringing. I thought it may cause me to not hear some things. That hasn't been the case. I still get good comments on my mixes, although I haven't done any for a few years now, at least live.

My tinnitus seem to continue to get worse, even though I use earplugs when I am around louder noises to help protect my hearing. It is to the point where I am thinking about going to an audiologist to see if there is anything they can do with hearing aides. My brother got some relief from getting hearing aides. He put them on me but they didn't change anything for me. I have been having issues with hearing some conversational things, especially in noisier environments. That tells me that I am starting to get a loss around that 3k mark. I got off all of the sugars and junk foods at least 5 years ago so I know that isn't a contributing factor. I have always been able to ignore my tinnitus but it is getting to the point where that is becoming a challenge. I hear it all the time, even in environments where I didn't used to. Some nights when I lay down to sleep it is super loud. I feel like mine is heading in the direction of affecting me more seriously even though I have tried to slow it down.

Wow! That really aggravated my tinnitus. I have a tone at that 12k frequency. I also have one that is a little under 3k. I haven't tried to specifically identify it but heard a 3k tone and it was just a little above the one I hear. I have a third tone in there at times but am not sure where it is. I have been able to set in a quiet room and focus on it and can hear at least to and at times three. The strange thing for me is that I can still hear a good frequency range for my age. I am in my late 50's and still hear high stuff. I was worried about doing live mixing because of the ringing. I thought it may cause me to not hear some things. That hasn't been the case. I still get good comments on my mixes, although I haven't done any for a few years now, at least live.

My tinnitus seem to continue to get worse, even though I use earplugs when I am around louder noises to help protect my hearing. It is to the point where I am thinking about going to an audiologist to see if there is anything they can do with hearing aides. My brother got some relief from getting hearing aides. He put them on me but they didn't change anything for me. I have been having issues with hearing some conversational things, especially in noisier environments. That tells me that I am starting to get a loss around that 3k mark. I got off all of the sugars and junk foods at least 5 years ago so I know that isn't a contributing factor. I have always been able to ignore my tinnitus but it is getting to the point where that is becoming a challenge. I hear it all the time, even in environments where I didn't used to. Some nights when I lay down to sleep it is super loud. I feel like mine is heading in the direction of affecting me more seriously even though I have tried to slow it down.
Thanks for sharing your story and congrats that you are still hearing the 12000 range.....and you should definetely go to an audiologist.
I waited too long.

I have terrible tinnitus in one ear, which (almost) makes me mono.

I was just a week or two back gifted a pair of in-ear headphones things which I thought were broken as the volume on one was pretty much non-existent to my right ear. When my wife tried them they worked perfectly for her.

The thing I hate the most about having ringing in my ear is bedtime. The noise can be deafening. Even if the bedroom is totally quiet.

I occasionally suffer from Meniere's disease which if you are familiar with it will know that it is an inner ear problem that can cause havoc in your life. A Doctor suggested that (after a lot of testing) I could have my inner ear medically destroyed which could cure the Meniere's. My question at the time was "Will it cure the tinnitus?" The answer was an "It might, it might not". So I did not go in for surgery as the risk of total hearing loss in my right ear was too much of a risk for me.

If you have a bad back, you can moan and groan about it and people will understand but when you have a constant (as it is now as I type) ringing noise in your ear non sufferers just don't understand.

I would not wish tinnitus on my worst enemy.
I find this makes it much worse, much more noticeable...for me, a little white noise goes a long way.

When I ride my motorcycle, I use a ton of hearing protection...and that really amplifies the perception of the head noise, unless I have music playing in my helmet (which I usually do).

I find this makes it much worse, much more noticeable...for me, a little white noise goes a long way.

When I ride my motorcycle, I use a ton of hearing protection...and that really amplifies the perception of the head noise, unless I have music playing in my helmet (which I usually do).
Hi @rog , it is funny that you should mention motorcycles, as I spent years and years (and years...) working in the motorcycle trade as well as always being a bike owner. This could have been the point in time that "helped" to set my tinnitus on it way. The starting point.

One of my friends that I ride with occasionally always wears earplugs and suggested to me that I should try them. Which I have done, but I just don't like the feeling of them in my ears when I am wearing a helmet. I have an intercom system for the helmet for when my wife is riding pillion (but the battery in that is usually flat ( :) ) which I dare say could be connected to a music player. I will give it a try sometime in the future. It probably does not do my ears any good, but I enjoy the noise of the wind and the sound of the engine as I ride along the road.

Some bikes are more peaceful to ride than others though. I have a Yamaha FJR1300 which is blissful. I don't suffer any hearing fatigue from having ridden that bike. Other bikes that I own are a bit more noisy. I have a KTM Duke, a couple of 1200 Bandits along with a couple of other bikes and they just make a racket.

One other thing I have found with hearing on bikes is it can differ greatly with the choice of crash helmet that you wear.
I went through a stage collecting Simpson Bandit helmets, which stem from my youth as being a cool helmet to own, but they are noisy. I do have a sensible crash helmet, with an internal dark pull down visor and some kind of good ventilation system but I hate it. It would however be a good choice for some music playing modifiacations. But it does not have the cool look of a Simpson. LOL.

Ride safe my friend, and enjoy your in-helmet music but do make sure that you can still hear what is going on around you for your own safety.

Reactions: rog

I ride a Harley with my music in the faring. I wear a half helmet. If I am riding anywhere that I am riding faster than the in town streets, I wear a pair of frequency tailored earplugs. I bought a pair of Eargasm earplugs earlier this year. I also have a pair from Etymotic Research and a pair from Hearos. All of these earplugs are designed for use with music related activities and don't cut the high end like a standard earplug. My stereo is loud enough that I can hear it with the earplugs in. This has been how I have been protecting my hearing while riding. I definitely notice a difference when I stop and pull them out compared to not having them in at all.

Hi @rog , it is funny that you should mention motorcycles, as I spent years and years (and years...) working in the motorcycle trade as well as always being a bike owner. This could have been the point in time that "helped" to set my tinnitus on it way. The starting point.

One of my friends that I ride with occasionally always wears earplugs and suggested to me that I should try them. Which I have done, but I just don't like the feeling of them in my ears when I am wearing a helmet. I have an intercom system for the helmet for when my wife is riding pillion (but the battery in that is usually flat ( :) ) which I dare say could be connected to a music player. I will give it a try sometime in the future. It probably does not do my ears any good, but I enjoy the noise of the wind and the sound of the engine as I ride along the road.

Some bikes are more peaceful to ride than others though. I have a Yamaha FJR1300 which is blissful. I don't suffer any hearing fatigue from having ridden that bike. Other bikes that I own are a bit more noisy. I have a KTM Duke, a couple of 1200 Bandits along with a couple of other bikes and they just make a racket.

One other thing I have found with hearing on bikes is it can differ greatly with the choice of crash helmet that you wear.
I went through a stage collecting Simpson Bandit helmets, which stem from my youth as being a cool helmet to own, but they are noisy. I do have a sensible crash helmet, with an internal dark pull down visor and some kind of good ventilation system but I hate it. It would however be a good choice for some music playing modifiacations. But it does not have the cool look of a Simpson. LOL.

Ride safe my friend, and enjoy your in-helmet music but do make sure that you can still hear what is going on around you for your own safety.
I ride a Harley with my music in the faring. I wear a half helmet. If I am riding anywhere that I am riding faster than the in town streets, I wear a pair of frequency tailored earplugs. I bought a pair of Eargasm earplugs earlier this year. I also have a pair from Etymotic Research and a pair from Hearos. All of these earplugs are designed for use with music related activities and don't cut the high end like a standard earplug. My stereo is loud enough that I can hear it with the earplugs in. This has been how I have been protecting my hearing while riding. I definitely notice a difference when I stop and pull them out compared to not having them in at all.
I absolutely can hear enough to be aware of what's going on around me (with my earplugs in), but I had a period of about 3 months during which I rode every day without earplugs (40 minute commute each way to work and back), and there's no question, that's what really raised the volume on my tinnitus, and damaged my hearing. I'll never ride without earplugs again.

My hearing is also a little muffled, which I'm told is a sign of hearing loss...but it always feels like my ears need to pop, and they almost never do. But every once in a while, they pop, and my hearing becomes 360 degree again, if that makes any sense - it's like they become fully stereo again. But just for a minute or so. Still, that little bit makes me hope that the right ENT can help.

It would probably help if I actually went to one. I did go to one, just before covid started, but he wasn't the right guy. Ironically, he wouldn't listen to me, interrupted me halfway through every sentence.

I wear a Schuberth C5, which is very quiet, as far as helmets go, but I still won't ride without hearing protection anymore.

Stay safe, both of you!

Hello,

I just watched this video and thought I would share it with the community here.
I struggle with ringing in the ears, so any new information I find, I like to share in hope that it can benefit someone.

Hmmm. ... stress is a main reason for a higher release of glutamat, so...don`t forget this, as I said , I had a collegue with tinnitus, the tinnitus was completely gone, when he changed the job ( no joke ). You could try both ways.. trying to reduce the stress and the one mentioned in the vid.

Hello,

I just watched this video and thought I would share it with the community here.
I struggle with ringing in the ears, so any new information I find, I like to share in hope that it can benefit someone.

I am subscribed to this guy's YouTube channel. He does blood pressure videos too. I have tried the stuff he has suggested for Tinnitus but none of it has had an affect on mine yet.

I normally feel way better the days after using Doxylamine before sleep, but I think it is because acts somehow as a muscle relaxer, and I clench less at night, so the next day not only have less T, also less neck pain.

I’ve tried a few of these tricks and they did nothing. I’ll be test driving some new hearing aids in a few weeks that have tinnitus therapy built in. We’ll see how it goes. And by the way….$$$$. I’m still checking to see if my insurance will cover part of it.

I’ve tried a few of these tricks and they did nothing. I’ll be test driving some new hearing aids in a few weeks that have tinnitus therapy built in. We’ll see how it goes. And by the way….$$$$. I’m still checking to see if my insurance will cover part of it.
I'll be looking forward to hearing what ones you're trying out, and what the results are. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom