Possible dumb question re: achieving three dimensional stereo sound

Arcalaus

Did a little bit of scanning and didn't see a thread that speaks to this directly. If I'm wrong, somebody please point me in the right direction.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out. I have an eleven rack that I've had kicking around since before I picked up my AX8. I also just picked UP a Native Instruments setup for creating backing tracks and it came with Guitar Rig 5. There's no question that the AX8 is my main rig and feels and sounds superior. However, both the 11R and Guitar Rig manage to achieve this really huge lush stereo sound with no tweaking when I'm tracking, almost like a fully mastered radio mix if that makes any sense. I haven't been able to figure out how to replicate that same feel with the ax8, wondering if anybody has any pointers or if it just takes a little more legwork on the production side of things.

Any and all non-snarky feedback appreciated!

However, both the 11R and Guitar Rig manage to achieve this really huge lush stereo sound with no tweaking when I'm tracking, almost like a fully mastered radio mix if that makes any sense. I haven't been able to figure out how to replicate that same feel with the ax8, wondering if anybody has any pointers or if it just takes a little more legwork on the production side of things.

Any and all non-snarky feedback appreciated!
There has to be some sort of setting to make it feel lush and in stereo on the other devices. Record the different devices so we can hear what you’re talking about first of all. Then we can start guessing at what it is.

What have you tried? Is your AX8 actually running in stereo (you know I have to ask)?

Fair question. Yes, I'm running in Stereo. It's not that I am unable to get a stereo track, it's just those other two rigs have this kind of big bright three dimensional sound straight out of the box and I haven't figured out how to replicate it. Like all I have to do is plug my guitar in to my interface and track through Guitar Rig and I get a really rich and expansive vibe that is a lot of fun and inspirational to play. (by no means a dig against the ax8, it's the best purchase I've ever made and has completely revolutionized my musical world) I'll try to post a clip in a little bit to give a better explanation of what I'm talking about and what I'm trying to figure out.

Contrary to most other products, the factory presets on the AX8 have the FX dialed back a little bit - that actually makes them useful for live and studio situations :)

Anyway, here is a recipe: Select Factory preset 1: Change the reverb type to North Church, turn on the chorus and delay blocks. That should get you a fair bit of the way. If you want super lush - add the MultiDly block just before the reverb and change the effect type to Plex Detune. (then you may want to turn off the chorus and delay blocks ... or not :D)

Edit: I actually also increased the reverb mix to 25%

Also use stereo cab block with 2 different cabs.
While like doing that for me it's makes the overall fuller but not wider. Two complementary IRs, say one thick with with midrange and the other with scooped midrange work well together. It's like sweet and savory tastes.

Back
Top Bottom