Possible Drive block makeover ~ pedal vs. model?

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I have a few drive pedals (OCD, Eternity, KOT) that sound great in front of an amp or the Axe. I've tried a variety of DRV models but none inspire or feel as juicy to me as these pedals, even tone matched. I don't know if there are some subtle dynamics that are in the analog electronics that have been difficult to model to this point. In particular my Fulltone OCD (v1.2 I think?) has some kind of bite and touch sensitivity with a lack of compression that is killer for overdriven to hard rock tones into a clean amp or AMP like Fender or Hiwatt.

Wondering people's thoughts on the current drive block and the possibility of a makeover and an expanded menu of models.
  • What drive pedals have you switched over to the Axe (with no looking back)?
  • What drive pedals you haven't given up yet because the model doesn't exist or isn't "there" yet? (Besides Klon types)

(Note: I kindly request this be a Klon-free discussion thread!)

Still use a Buffalo Fx Patriot, Chase Tone Red Stardust, Basic Audio Zippy, Mayer Axis Fuzz, DOD Carcosa, and a Maestro Fz1a

Have a number of Tube Screamers, Blues Drivers, etc but the Axe really does those pretty well

3 knob Tube driver ala Eric Johnson is lv tube clipping sounds great for plexi
Octave dist into Germanium fuzz face into a clean amp. Use neck pickup. Roll down tone knob to bring out octave.

Still use a Buffalo Fx Patriot, Chase Tone Red Stardust, Basic Audio Zippy, Mayer Axis Fuzz, DOD Carcosa, and a Maestro Fz1a

Have a number of Tube Screamers, Blues Drivers, etc but the Axe really does those pretty well
Perhaps those pedals could be added to a Wish List if not done already?

Perhaps those pedals could be added to a Wish List if not done already?

No need, at least for me. I already own them and enjoy them in hardware form. I know a lot of people want to replace everything with “in the box” but I enjoy having a collect of stuff sitting on a shelf.

If there was one guitar that could sound like any other guitar, I wouldn’t want it either. I enjoy having lots of guitars and still want more lol.

I do enjoy the Axe because it’s not practical to own lots of amps and cabs, plus issues with volume etc, but things like fuzz pedals are pretty adorable, especially fun if you build your own, and don’t take up much space, and more so, work great along side the effects in the Axe

Having 50 or 500 drive models just doesn’t seem as fun as having a handful of unique sounding real fuzz pedals to me, each with a really unique character.

Always nice to have options for hardware or software, so I’m not saying don’t do it, but simply that I’m not going to be asking for it modeled as the real pedal is doing all I’m after tone wise.

No need, at least for me. I already own them and enjoy them in hardware form. I know a lot of people want to replace everything with “in the box” but I enjoy having a collect of stuff sitting on a shelf.

If there was one guitar that could sound like any other guitar, I wouldn’t want it either. I enjoy having lots of guitars and still want more lol.

I do enjoy the Axe because it’s not practical to own lots of amps and cabs, plus issues with volume etc, but things like fuzz pedals are pretty adorable, especially fun if you build your own, and don’t take up much space, and more so, work great along side the effects in the Axe

Having 50 or 500 drive models just doesn’t seem as fun as having a handful of unique sounding real fuzz pedals to me, each with a really unique character.

Always nice to have options for hardware or software, so I’m not saying don’t do it, but simply that I’m not going to be asking for it modeled as the real pedal is doing all I’m after tone wise.
Totally understandable and I offer my respect on the old school hardware approach! I’m still a dreamer hoping the Axe can offer/emulate amp, pedal, cab and environment needs. It’s a big ask!

Major Drive block update soon.

Taking the family on vacation Wednesday. It’s going to be a long 2 weeks if I read about the update - soon. Normally , the sound of a long vacation is a good thing , right ? You should have named the III “ The Home Wrecker “ instead.
Can’t wait !

Having the ability to run “amps” close to dimed, as FAS let’s me do, I sold my boutiques and retired most of my classic /vintage stuff. That said, I have been using two pedals, that have something going, that I like to hear. The first goes early, and it’s a Missing Link Audio Peacock. The second is a unique delay that I put before the output. I haven’t found a perfect model for the Echorec, so I use a Dawner Prince Boonar.

Having the ability to run “amps” close to dimed, as FAS let’s me do, I sold my boutiques and retired most of my classic /vintage stuff. That said, I have been using two pedals, that have something going, that I like to hear. The first goes early, and it’s a Missing Link Audio Peacock. The second is a unique delay that I put before the output. I haven’t found a perfect model for the Echorec, so I use a Dawner Prince Boonar.

seen the new strymon volante? hope we get something like this modeled one day in the axefx :)

Nope, your notice is my first. I only need the Echorec’s mag-drum. FAS does the rest. But very cool. Probably a perfect bit for my real amp pedalboard. Since I’m back to a few pedals, this would fit.

I hope the pic isn’t actual size, lol.

Back to the OP, there’s very, very little, that the current III firmware cannot replace. (By the way, a Mutron III is also it’s own bird.) But like my other cool old stuff, it only lives in my studio. And surprisingly, there isn’t a huge crowd demand for Frampton’s Black Hole Sun cover. That reminds me, add a real talk box to the list.

Back
Top Bottom